IKEA coming to Denver

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

IKEA coming to Denver

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_14685111
Swedish furniture retailer IKEA today said it has hired contractors and obtained a work-site permit for its planned store in Centennial.

The company said it is aiming for a fall 2011 grand opening.
It'll be a 400,000 sq ft two level store in the southeastern suburb of Centennial. It's been reported in other stories that the Denver front range has been a target, but not feasible till their distribution center in Joliet, Il was in place. Hmmmmm... so theoretically...

On the other hand, I've been to IKEA and while it's just a totally fun store to shop in when you've got a half a day to kill, it's bread and butter (and swedish meatballs for that matter) is the customer who lives in a tiny apartment and is looking for really functional furnishings. You should see their demo apartments inside the European stores, showing how to efficiently decorate a 200 sq ft flat.

Denver doesn't seem like a logical market, as the homes are mostly typical midwestern in size and style. But, IKEA ain't no dummies.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Swedish terrorism

Post by ricko »

IKEA's a fun store----still have bookshelves I bought there in the 80's. I also have some kitchen stuff and accessories.  Aside from the admittedly semi-flimsy furniture, they sell just about everything you need to outfit a home.  I especially like their tchotchkes.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I wonder if Nebraska Furniture Mart would have the same status level as IKEA does if they were to expand to other parts of the country (maybe rename it? heh...). If I remember correctly, NFM did the KC furniture market in significantly when they opened there.