Streetlight replacement with LED's

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Streetlight replacement with LED's

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

I was wondering what's everyone opinion if Omaha started to replace the Street light's we currently have with LED's?

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Re: Streetlight replacement with LED's

Postby GetUrban » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

OmahaFan wrote:I was wondering what's everyone opinion if Omaha started to replace the Street light's we currently have with LED's?

I think it's only a matter of time until you'll see a switch-over to LED's in Omaha. It's already happening privately due to the increased energy efficiency required by the newer energy codes (IEEC) LED's last longer than High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lamps, use less power, and produce a wider range, higher quality color-temperature light output.

Here's a good comparison...
http://www.charlottefl.com/outreach/agenda/20160920/3.pdf
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Well there is currently LED lights on the bridge by the Zoo heading into Iowa. I think Council Bluff's will be stringing them across there section of the Highway due to the major construction project regarding the Highway. I know recently that the City of Omaha wanted to replace the Street light signals with LED bulbs but the public was concerned about it because apparently during the winter the bulbs wouldn't melt away the snow causing possible issue's. I think if the City of Omaha want's to cut electric cost and reduce pollution emission's that they should switch all Street light's over to LED. Also regarding the bright white it gives off I think the City of Omaha could find a product that would direct the beam down and reduce the chance of that white light intruding into someone's home. I have to admit it get's annoying when your heading onto the interstate at 42nd street and all the light's on the Interstate are out. I know they are working because I see them on sometime's. I really don't know why they shut off huge swaths of lights. I recently saw a video on Youtube where a city was trying out new light's and well one of the cool thing's is that when a emergency truck or car turned on there light's and siren's the light's responded to that by creating red strobes to warn driver's of the oncoming emergency unit's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_LmKiWSC1E

(Here is the video I'm talking about)

EricHaley
New to the Neighborhood

Postby EricHaley » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Lincoln is actively replacing street lights with LEDs. The recently widened stretch of Old Cheney between 70th & 84th is entirely LED and it looks awesome!

Return to “Transportation”