Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:45 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:The sea change at Eppley has been amazing. Not too long ago OMA had 16 destinations and none were on any coast.


Agreed. Eppley has always been a solid airport and from its passenger rate historically, has punched well above it’s weight compared to similar sized and some larger population metro’s..

But today, Eppley seems to have really come into its own in comparison..

Good for OMA and good for the region :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

joleo
Home Owners Association
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby joleo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:As always this is MY OPINION only

Boston via Southwest with Delta as a longshot

BWI via Southwest, possibly Allegiant

Dulles via United

JFK is a bigger longshot but maybe via United or Delta

Ft Lauderdale via Frontier or Southwest

New Orleans and Nashville possibly via Southwest. As I said, just for fun

The sea change at Eppley has been amazing. Not too long ago OMA had 16 destinations and none were on any coast.


Ryan Air wrote:Boston (JetBlue or American)
Ft Lauderdale (JetBlue)
BNA (Southwest)
Can Cun (Frontier seasonal and Southwest Saturday seasonal)
Guadalajara (Volaris)
BWI (Southwest)


My predictions based off of above:
Boston - 80% likely. Maybe Jetblue E-190 or Delta E-170. A Southwest 737 could work seasonally only in the summer months. (Delta most likely here)
BWI - 70% likely Southwest. Service to DCA already...BWI could still happen though.
Dulles - United. Who knows how likely, this should have been added 10 years ago. This is the last major hole out of all the 3 network carriers and service to all their hubs. This would be a great add and long overdue.
JFK - 20% likely (Jetblue)
FLL - 30% likely...maybe seasonal 2x weekly on F9 or Allegiant could work.
New Orleans - 40% likely. very seasonal 2x weekly on Allegiant maybe.
Cancun - 100% likely but need customs facility but seasonal weekly or 2x weekly on Frontier, Allegiant, Southwest and/or Delta are all possible.
Guadalajara - 0.1% likely. No way.
Nashville(BNA) - 90% likely on Southwest. If southwest doesn't do it, Onejet will I would guess.
If Onejet succeeds to MKE, look for them to possibly add cities like Indy, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Nashville (Assuming southwest hasn't added it)

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby NovakOmaha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:44 pm

I think jetblue is a long shot, but hey these days anything is possible.

Ryan Air
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Ryan Air » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 pm

joleo wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:As always this is MY OPINION only

Boston via Southwest with Delta as a longshot

BWI via Southwest, possibly Allegiant

Dulles via United

JFK is a bigger longshot but maybe via United or Delta

Ft Lauderdale via Frontier or Southwest

New Orleans and Nashville possibly via Southwest. As I said, just for fun

The sea change at Eppley has been amazing. Not too long ago OMA had 16 destinations and none were on any coast.


Ryan Air wrote:Boston (JetBlue or American)
Ft Lauderdale (JetBlue)
BNA (Southwest)
Can Cun (Frontier seasonal and Southwest Saturday seasonal)
Guadalajara (Volaris)
BWI (Southwest)


My predictions based off of above:
Boston - 80% likely. Maybe Jetblue E-190 or Delta E-170. A Southwest 737 could work seasonally only in the summer months. (Delta most likely here)
BWI - 70% likely Southwest. Service to DCA already...BWI could still happen though.
Dulles - United. Who knows how likely, this should have been added 10 years ago. This is the last major hole out of all the 3 network carriers and service to all their hubs. This would be a great add and long overdue.
JFK - 20% likely (Jetblue)
FLL - 30% likely...maybe seasonal 2x weekly on F9 or Allegiant could work.
New Orleans - 40% likely. very seasonal 2x weekly on Allegiant maybe.
Cancun - 100% likely but need customs facility but seasonal weekly or 2x weekly on Frontier, Allegiant, Southwest and/or Delta are all possible.
Guadalajara - 0.1% likely. No way.
Nashville(BNA) - 90% likely on Southwest. If southwest doesn't do it, Onejet will I would guess.
If Onejet succeeds to MKE, look for them to possibly add cities like Indy, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Nashville (Assuming southwest hasn't added it)


Last time I fly Can Cun, airport had Preclearance. No customs needed at OMA.
A birdy told me Volaris is adding slots and service out of Guadalajara like it’s going out of style.
Jet Blue is inside the realm of possibility. Especially since they have had focus on expanding in the middle of the country and recieving orders

joleo
Home Owners Association
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby joleo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Ryan Air wrote:Last time I fly Can Cun, airport had Preclearance. No customs needed at OMA.
A birdy told me Volaris is adding slots and service out of Guadalajara like it’s going out of style.
Jet Blue is inside the realm of possibility. Especially since they have had focus on expanding in the middle of the country and recieving orders


Sorry Ryan Air, there is no pre-clearance in Mexico currently and there never has been. It has been discussed for 10+ years but the big hold up was mexico having to change their constitution to allow US border patrol agents to carry guns on Mexico soil. I think that has happened now but from what I was told, this all came to a standstill when Trump was elected and US-Mexico relations changed. I really haven't heard much on it for the past year and I can't find any articles that are less than a year old.

Per this article, Mexico City was going to be the 1st pre-clearance airport in Mexico but that hasn't happened yet.
https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/u ... e-program/

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3472
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby nativeomahan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 pm

We recently flew nonstop from Omaha to MIA. Just under three hours flight time. Great to leave the cold and three hours later be in the tropics.
As an added bonus, our plane from Omaha to MIA was also our plane to Key West.

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Uffda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I have been disappointed in Allegiant's change of schedule. They have moved to Wed - Sat flights to St Pete. The Saturday Flight doesn't get into St Pete until late afternoon on Sat, so you lose half the weekend. There use to be Friday night flight - Monday afternoon flight which gave me the opportunity to fly down for a weekend and only miss one day of work and spend the whole weekend with family.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby choke » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Per Channel 6 WOWT News:

Omaha Airport Authority announced Tuesday that Delta will be adding two daily departure flights from Omaha to LaGuardia in July.


http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Delta-to-offer-Omaha-to-LaGuardia-Airport-flights-beginning-in-July-463728233.html

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:14 pm

choke wrote:Per Channel 6 WOWT News:

Omaha Airport Authority announced Tuesday that Delta will be adding two daily departure flights from Omaha to LaGuardia in July.


http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Delta-to-offer-Omaha-to-LaGuardia-Airport-flights-beginning-in-July-463728233.html


Ok. Somebody needs to send the entire payroll of WOWT back to journalism class. Delta is adding a SECOND daily nonstop flight. Did no one at wowt even read the tweet? Did no one at wowt read the story in the owh? Does no one at wowt know how to read? They are embarrassing themselves.

GrandpaaSmucker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:
choke wrote:Per Channel 6 WOWT News:

Omaha Airport Authority announced Tuesday that Delta will be adding two daily departure flights from Omaha to LaGuardia in July.


http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Delta-to-offer-Omaha-to-LaGuardia-Airport-flights-beginning-in-July-463728233.html


Ok. Somebody needs to send the entire payroll of WOWT back to journalism class. Delta is adding a SECOND daily nonstop flight. Did no one at wowt even read the tweet? Did no one at wowt read the story in the owh? Does no one at wowt know how to read? They are embarrassing themselves.


Looks like you have discovered some FAKE NEWS :thumb:

Mr.Nuke
Library Board
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Mr.Nuke » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:Ok. Somebody needs to send the entire payroll of WOWT back to journalism class. Delta is adding a SECOND daily nonstop flight. Did no one at wowt even read the tweet? Did no one at wowt read the story in the owh? Does no one at wowt know how to read? They are embarrassing themselves.

KETV had an equally cringe-worthy story on their 6 p.m. news that seemingly implied this was a brand new route. The fact that both botched it while it isn't a great sign for local journalism implies to me that both got a poorly worded press release from the airport and or Delta.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 am

Mr.Nuke wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Ok. Somebody needs to send the entire payroll of WOWT back to journalism class. Delta is adding a SECOND daily nonstop flight. Did no one at wowt even read the tweet? Did no one at wowt read the story in the owh? Does no one at wowt know how to read? They are embarrassing themselves.

KETV had an equally cringe-worthy story on their 6 p.m. news that seemingly implied this was a brand new route. The fact that both botched it while it isn't a great sign for local journalism implies to me that both got a poorly worded press release from the airport and or Delta.


An entirely plausable thought. However, wowt also posted that Detroit lost to Tampa last Sunday. I know that everyone is entitled to a mistake now & then. On the other hand, news organizations have a special responsibility to get it right. People rely on them for information. The Delta story isn't earth shaking news and if anything they did get the airline & city names right. The football story I have my doubts that they got a wrongly written press release. It just points out that someone isn't pushing them to get it right.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Omababe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 am

Now if they would only upgrade that route to real full-size planes!

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 am

What is even more telling is that wowt posted the original story at 3:26pm and updated it at 7:55pm and still didn't correct it. Granted it wasn't the biggest story of the day but still...

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:44 am

Speaking of Eppley...

https://www.facebook.com/OMAairport/photos/a.274398339740240.1073741828.274369069743167/298628150650592/?type=3&theater

It's from the Eppley Facebook page. It's a photo of construction of the new terminal in 1985. Shows the old terminal and the new one under construction. I remember that.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2100
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:59 am

Wait... the current terminals are only 32 years old?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

joleo
Home Owners Association
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby joleo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6294
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm

joleo wrote:Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?


This thread alone has over 102,000 views and some great content.

I’d like to think most people who need news/updates on Eppley Airfield, follow this thread on our site.. As opposed to Facebook :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Ryan Air
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby Ryan Air » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

joleo wrote:Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?


Eppley had several FB pages- none were official until this year. A few months back, in fact. It now the official has the “check mark” and they’re working on getting the other 2 down.

Re my last post: I believe I confused Can Cun with Aruba. I did check and AUA does have Preclearance

damonhynes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby damonhynes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:The sea change at Eppley has been amazing. Not too long ago OMA had 16 destinations and none were on any coast.


♪...Up, up, up and awayyyyy...Eighty flights a dayyyy...♫
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1992
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 pm

joleo wrote:Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?

I for one was completely unaware of the official page. It just gained a follower tho!

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby jessep28 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 pm

joleo wrote:Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?


If Heath Mello would have been elected mayor, in addition to Eppley becoming an intergalactic spaceport, their Facebook page would have gained hundreds of thousands of new followers.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8945
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 pm

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
joleo wrote:Why does the Eppley Airfield Facebook page only have 400 or so followers when a city like Des Moines have over 6,000 followers on their airport facebook page? Eppley does a good job of updating their facebook page with news except hardly anybody follows it! Eppley really needs to work on this.

Any ideas here on why?

I for one was completely unaware of the official page. It just gained a follower tho!


I just recently started following. They actually post some really cool historic photos every once in a while.


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest