Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by Mr.Nuke »

thenewguy wrote:So based on what little I know of air traffic, Eppley should be sufficiently long enough to support take off/landing of 747 aircraft. I don't think we are near the passenger threshold to warrant such large aircraft in and out of there, but it should at least be possible, right?
So yeah as others said, within the last 2 months Delta and United the last two domestic airlines flying 747s both retired their fleets and neither had been really doing a lot of domestic flying of them other than charters. But beyond that, a plane of that size is a ton of seats to try and fill. United's configuration was a total of 374 seats. For comparison United is operating 5 different flights from Omaha to Denver today. The total number of seats on all 5 flights combined is 370...
Ryan Air wrote: So while OMA runways may be within the limitations of a particular aircrafts, there could be taxiways restrictions.
For sure no gate accommodations.
The only one that I'm aware of at Eppley is for any group IV or larger aircraft so 757's and larger basically is that they can't use the inner taxiway between gates 14-16 (presumably United 757 related back when they used to fly them here regularly).
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
thenewguy wrote:So based on what little I know of air traffic, Eppley should be sufficiently long enough to support take off/landing of 747 aircraft. I don't think we are near the passenger threshold to warrant such large aircraft in and out of there, but it should at least be possible, right?
So yeah as others said, within the last 2 months Delta and United the last two domestic airlines flying 747s both retired their fleets and neither had been really doing a lot of domestic flying of them other than charters. But beyond that, a plane of that size is a ton of seats to try and fill. United's configuration was a total of 374 seats. For comparison United is operating 5 different flights from Omaha to Denver today. The total number of seats on all 5 flights combined is 370...
Ryan Air wrote:
So while OMA runways may be within the limitations of a particular aircrafts, there could be taxiways restrictions.
For sure no gate accommodations.
The only one that I'm aware of at Eppley is for any group IV or larger aircraft so 757's and larger basically is that they can't use the inner taxiway between gates 14-16 (presumably United 757 related back when they used to fly them here regularly).
Sounds correct to me.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I have a question for those in the know...

With the rental car counters moving to a dedicated space once the garage construction is done what will happen to the current rental car counters? I know the terminal is scheduled to be completely redone but until then what will be where the current rental car counters are? (Wow, what a long question)
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The Airbus A380 is an exception, but I think the era of the double deck, four engine, wide body jetliner is largely over. The two engine stuff like the Boeing 777 can do the same job for cheaper. Modern turbofan engines are so reliable, you don't really need the extra redundancy, even on trans-Pacific flights.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Boeing 747 retirement: Farewell to the 'Queen of the Skies'
For the first time in 48 years, you can't buy a ticket on a US airline to fly on a Boeing 747.
On Wednesday, Delta Air Lines Flight 9771 touched down in Marana, Arizona, an arid boneyard for stored and cannibalized jetliners. A three-hour-and-33-minute journey from Atlanta.
The last of the airline's 16 jumbo Boeing 747-400s flew to a desert retirement, ending operations by passenger airlines in the United States.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

In 2001, shortly after 9/11, a friend of mine was booked on Northwest Airlines from Omaha to Minneapolis. As you can imagine the airlines were hustling to relocate jets that had been grounded. Anyway, my friend was the only passenger on a 747 from Omaha to Minneapolis. I dont remember all of the particulars and where the jet came from or if it was overnighted in Omaha or what. He said it was really weird and creepy. It was him, the pilots and a bunch of crew members.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

NovakOmaha wrote:I have a question for those in the know...

With the rental car counters moving to a dedicated space once the garage construction is done what will happen to the current rental car counters? I know the terminal is scheduled to be completely redone but until then what will be where the current rental car counters are? (Wow, what a long question)
I don’t believe there is anything addressing that yet. Nothing that I’ve read or seen. But those very specific type of plans are under development with the firm chosen by OAA (the nameescapes me at the moment) I know Airport Police has a front drive office (a second office in addition to current location) on their wish list where they can access the drive from the terminal. There is no access to baggage belts or the ramp, so an airline relocation/addition in that space is unlikely. I wouldn’t expect too much from that area as we’re getting pretty close to terminal redevelopment
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

jessep28 wrote:The Airbus A380 is an exception, but I think the era of the double deck, four engine, wide body jetliner is largely over. The two engine stuff like the Boeing 777 can do the same job for cheaper. Modern turbofan engines are so reliable, you don't really need the extra redundancy, even on trans-Pacific flights.
The A380 isn't really an exception either. On a net-basis it hasn't had an order in 3 years, production rates have been slashed from 30 a year to 9 last year, and Airbus is saying if Emirates doesn't order more planes the program will probably effectively be killed. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... EL11L?il=0
---------
Re: the rental car counters I agree with Ryan Air. Given where they're at both on the level of the airport and the side they're on at said level as well as the space or lack-thereof they currently occupy; I can't see them being replaced with anything of note.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Not Omaha, but Kansas City picked up transatlantic service for the first time with 3 times a week service to Iceland this summer via Icelandair.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Not Omaha, but Kansas City picked up transatlantic service for the first time with 3 times a week service to Iceland this summer via Icelandair.
Ohhhh very nice. A great cheap way to get to Europe if you're ok with going no frills.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Mr.Nuke wrote:---------
Re: the rental car counters I agree with Ryan Air. Given where they're at both on the level of the airport and the side they're on at said level as well as the space or lack-thereof they currently occupy; I can't see them being replaced with anything of note.
Maybe at least toss a couple of chairs, a table and a couch? It seems to me that it will just be dead space. Have a jazz band or a choir sing? Something.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I have a question, or really more of an observation.

I was talking with a friend from Omaha tonight. He was telling me about the progress on the parking garage and rental car area at Eppley. Something struck me. The rental car facility will be on the second floor. So here's my question. You exit the plane on the upper level, go to the lower lever to bag claim, if you have checked bags, then you have to go back to the upper level to use the skywalk? I mean, it's not a terrible thing but still. It seems to me that perhaps after finishing the new parking garage they could have located the rental car area in the garage directly across from the terminal, on ground level?
jimyedy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jimyedy »

NovakOmaha wrote:I have a question, or really more of an observation.

I was talking with a friend from Omaha tonight. He was telling me about the progress on the parking garage and rental car area at Eppley. Something struck me. The rental car facility will be on the second floor. So here's my question. You exit the plane on the upper level, go to the lower lever to bag claim, if you have checked bags, then you have to go back to the upper level to use the skywalk? I mean, it's not a terrible thing but still. It seems to me that perhaps after finishing the new parking garage they could have located the rental car area in the garage directly across from the terminal, on ground level?

Doesn't make a ton of sense but certainly more convenient than a place like PHX where you have to hop on a bus and travel a 1/2 mile then wait for an elevator or drag bags down stairs. That facility irritates me greatly.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Eventually departures will be on the first floor and arrivals will be on the second floor. In that scenario, the parking garage setup makes sense.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

riceweb wrote:Eventually departures will be on the first floor and arrivals will be on the second floor. In that scenario, the parking garage setup makes sense.
Typically, or at least at the airports to which I've flown where there are two levels, departures are on the second level and arrivals are on the first.

In any event it's true that being able to walk to a car rental facility is much better than having to wait for and take a shuttle to a remote area. Going back upstairs really isn't that big of a deal.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A facebook conversation I had today with the Eppley facebook site:

Me:
For the Eppley geeks out there, when will you be posting the 2017 year end statistics?

Eppley Airfield-OMA:
Hi Larry. Thank you for your inquiry. We are finalizing the statistics and will have them posted to our website shortly. Thanks again, and have a great day!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

NovakOmaha wrote:I have a question, or really more of an observation.
It seems to me that perhaps after finishing the new parking garage they could have located the rental car area in the garage directly across from the terminal, on ground level?
At the Tampa airport, you pickup your bags and then walk across about 3 lanes of passenger pickup traffic to the enclosed rental car area. From there you go to Level 1 or 2 of the attached garage to pick up your car.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

riceweb wrote:Eventually departures will be on the first floor and arrivals will be on the second floor. In that scenario, the parking garage setup makes sense.
Opposite: departures will be on the second level and so will ticket counters and security checkpoint. Arrivals and bag claim will be on the first level.

Now, how the drive will be (supposed to be two levels) I do not know. I am assuming the master plan has been taken into account when designing the new rental car facility.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ryan Air wrote:
Opposite: departures will be on the second level and so will ticket counters and security checkpoint. Arrivals and bag claim will be on the first level.

Now, how the drive will be (supposed to be two levels) I do not know. I am assuming the master plan has been taken into account when designing the new rental car facility.
Maybe they've changed it but in the renderings there is no second level road, nor is there any mention of two levels in the CIP.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Ryan Air wrote:

Maybe they've changed it but in the renderings there is no second level road, nor is there any mention of two levels in the CIP.
You’re right.

For sure there will be a significant change to the front drive. It’s already nearing capacity during peak times and causes issues all the way to Abbot Dr. Previous renderings and comments by OAA people in the past talked about two-level drive. Sort of standard these days. One level with both bag claim and ticketing is not impossible - central security checkpoint could still be upper with escalators to the check point. SMF Terminsl A and LNK are that way. I just don’t see the footprint of current renderings being large enough or super functional without two levels. I’m sure we will see some sort of master plan update this year.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Decem ... istics.pdf

2017 numbers up
4.6 million 6% growth
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ryan Air wrote:http://www.flyoma.com/images/pdfs/Decem ... istics.pdf

2017 numbers up
4.6 million 6% growth
Every airline posted a passenger increase for 2017. Cargo/Mail was up too..

4,611,906 passengers for 2017.. Impressive indeed for OMA :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

It's a record yes, but what's up with United?
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

NovakOmaha wrote:It's a record yes, but what's up with United?
I saw their decrease in December as well. They’re up for the year overall. For sure there was an incredible difference in mainline v. regional numbers. Mainline this year 11k and over 40k last year.

Honestly, I hate United. With a passion. So I won’t even pretend to know what’s going on. I don’t even follow them. They contract employees at OMA- all are idiots and requently run baggage cars Into |expletive|. They all make minimum wage and couldn’t care less about service or anything. I only hope they can do simple math and are able to accurately calculate aircraft weight.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Probably my least favorite airline to fly.

Of all of the delays, misrouted baggage, cancelled flights, you name it, that I can remember, most were United.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I also hate United with a passion. Many mishaps with them over the years. Culminating with them overcharging me more than $1600 on my last flight with them which was a bereavement flight in 2007. They admitted their error but refused to correct it. Unbelievable. Did I mention I hate them with a passion. Hope they lose more business.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

For all you WN lovers out there, I came across this a few months back and forgot to post. Interesting information. Some city info is a little out of date, OMA has 4 gats now and 11 cities w/ a few more employees but you get it.

https://www.swamedia.com/channels/City- ... act-sheets
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

NovakOmaha wrote:if you have checked bags, then you have to go back to the upper level to use the skywalk?
Or you can walk across the street and take an escalator back up to customer service level of the rental car facility that way as well. The walkway while not optimal will probably be appreciated during the winter, rain, and at times during the Summer though.
NovakOmaha wrote: It seems to me that perhaps after finishing the new parking garage they could have located the rental car area in the garage directly across from the terminal, on ground level?
That is a lot costlier and potentially problematic than what one might think. The original garage would’ve had to been significantly reconfigured if it could’ve been done at all. Rental traffic needs to be kept separate from paying traffic on both entrance and exit. That is much easier to configure in a new garage as they’re doing. The renderings also make it pretty obvious that the rental car customer service facility is elevated to facilitate the existing exit helix and subsequent 3 traffic lane from the existing garage as well as 2 exit lanes from the new garage. There isn’t a lot of space to get traffic from two garages and a separated terminal lane especially if you didn’t elevate that building.

Renderings http://www.nonpareilonline.com/business ... 97af4.html

Renderings and traffic flow
http://www.sameomaha.org/membership_mee ... 9_2015.pdf
NovakOmaha wrote: Maybe they've changed it but in the renderings there is no second level road, nor is there any mention of two levels in the CIP.
The 2008 update to the old master plan had it (there is a nice rendering on the second page of this thread). The 2013 master plan renderings (if you want to call them that) do not. I’d assume it probably got dropped in the new master plan, but without actually seeing anything more than 1 page summaries of a presumably 200+ page document it is hard to tell anything with any great deal of certainty. As someone that drops friends and family off or picks people up occasionally the single level is already getting ridiculous at times right now.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

We could ask the same question in last year in the opposite direction. December of 2016 American was down -1.4%, Delta down -5.4%, and United was up an incredible 16.5% with a 110.7% increase in mainline flying.The answer to your question pretty much still the same story as below from October.
Mr.Nuke wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:showed good increases except for United, which was down 2.7% for the month while still up for the year 12.7%. Anybody know why the anomaly?
It looks like it is probably just due to a reduction in seats. We won't know that for about 5 more months the dot data is lagging, but the fact that mainline passengers are down 21% strongly points to a capacity cut. This October 56.9% of United’s passengers in and out of Eppley were on mainline United, last October that was 70.4% (and last year through this year UA had a huge mainline increase in OMA). Just a quick glance from flightaware today to O’Hare is an E170, 2 E175's, 4 ERJ's. I can tell from DOT data that last November, United averaged 3 Airbus A320’s and an assortment of regional jets OMA-ORD.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Impressive year. There isn't much research behind this, but according to Wiki last year we were 59th busiest airport in the US right behind Buffalo. I couldn't find Buffalo's numbers quickly, but they did have an article this summer saying they were having a down year so I wouldn't be surprised if we jumped them into 58th.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:Impressive year. There isn't much research behind this, but according to Wiki last year we were 59th busiest airport in the US right behind Buffalo. I couldn't find Buffalo's numbers quickly, but they did have an article this summer saying they were having a down year so I wouldn't be surprised if we jumped them into 58th.
People look at me surprised when I tell them OMA handles more air passengers annually than Oklahoma City, Tucson, Memphis, Louisville, KY etc..

It happened just this past weekend in fact. The look of bewilderment is funny and surprises me actually. But it’s fun to educate and inform :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jimyedy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jimyedy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Impressive year. There isn't much research behind this, but according to Wiki last year we were 59th busiest airport in the US right behind Buffalo. I couldn't find Buffalo's numbers quickly, but they did have an article this summer saying they were having a down year so I wouldn't be surprised if we jumped them into 58th.
People look at me surprised when I tell them OMA handles more air passengers annually than Oklahoma City, Tucson, Memphis, Louisville, KY etc..

It happened just this past weekend in fact. The look of bewilderment is funny and surprises me actually. But it’s fun to educate and inform :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
While Omaha has a hefty 600k+ lead on OKC they are certainly adding capacity and destinations too. It appears American in particular is being aggressive. They don't have Miami yet but they are getting 2x daily to Philly. They are at 28 non-stop destinations. They have a significant population advantage over Omaha even when factoring for the proximity of Tulsa. Will be interesting to see if OMA can stay ahead of OKC.

Their airport authority also seems much more interested in promoting themselves based on looking at their website. Eppley needs to market and advertise-especially in Western IA where it is a toss-up between OMA and DSM for driving distance, northwest MO where it may be closer than KC, Sioux City where it may be cheaper than flying out of Sioux Falls, etc. You need to take business from other regions. Get Aggressive OMA!!

https://flyokc.com/cities-served-nonstop

https://flyokc.com/2017-passenger-traff ... ime-record
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

jimyedy wrote:Northwest MO where it may be closer than KC,
Up until ~2006, I never considered flying out of OMA (I live in the burbs). MCI was always cheaper and it wasn't close. Plus, I made a lot of trips to ATL and AirTran kept Delta honest, whereas DL could charge what they wanted out of OMA. I wanted AirTran to come to Omaha so bad. Loved that airline--was pist when Southwest ate them!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe wrote:
Probably my least favorite airline to fly.

Of all of the delays, misrouted baggage, cancelled flights, you name it, that I can remember, most were United.
Being a fan of all things Texas and Houston especially, I really want to like United. But I needed to go to Fort Hood/Killeen last year and UA had the best combination of schedule and price.

Two RJs--neither was clean, the one from IAH to GRK was absolutely filthy--smeared windows. Was late getting out of OMA because they had to recalculate the weight several times before they could take off (hot day and RJs are problematic in that regard).

It's gong to take a lot of convincing to get me on UA metal again.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Another one for the airport geeks
http://www.fi-aeroweb.com/Top-100-US-Airports.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote:Another one for the airport geeks
I’m interested in seeing when the 2017 rankings are calculated, if OMA jumps up a spot or 2 in the rankings...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Interesting article from the Sunday W-H:

“As Omaha’s Eppley Airfield draws a record number of passengers — 2017 was its busiest-ever year — significant upgrades to the airport are on the horizon.

Passenger counts are bumping up against levels that would trigger major renovations and, eventually, an expansion of the airport, which some people say is starting to burst at the seams as it gets closer and closer to its capacity.

About 4.6 million people used the airport in 2017, a 6 percent increase over 2016. That’s the biggest annual percentage increase the airport has seen since 2005. It also marks the fourth consecutive year of growth, and a big change since the Great Recession, when passenger counts were steadily declining.

Airport officials say the increased traffic was driven largely by strong demand from travelers, but also by new routes to and from Omaha; more flights on routes already serviced; and additional seats, or capacity, available for purchase, often from airlines flying larger planes.

In 2016, Eppley was No. 9 nationally when it came to added flight capacity — measured in the number of available seats to purchase — when compared with other medium- and large-size U.S. airports. And airlines have continued to add new routes, including the airport’s first international service, a daily Air Canada nonstop flight to Toronto”...

The complete story link:

http://www.omaha.com/money/eppley-airfi ... 80104.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

NovakOmaha wrote:Another one for the airport geeks
Awesome
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the picture from the story of the construction on the rental car garage:

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

My latest facebook conversation with Eppley:

Me: Thank you for posting the numbers. Outstanding 2017! I have another question. In the plans for remodeling the terminal are there plans for upper and lower roads at the terminal for arrivals and departures?

Reply: Hi, Larry. Thank you for the comments about 2017. As for your inquiry, there is still much to be determined. When that info is ready we'll be sharing it publicly.