Megabus - New IA Service - Omaha next?

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Is that a "jet-powered bus from the future" circa 1960?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I used to bullseye womprats in those back home.
Stable genius.
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Seth wrote:Is that a "jet-powered bus from the future" circa 1960?
Of course not.  It's a "nuclear-powered bus from the future" circa 1976.   C'mon man, get with the times!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205/
skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

If anyone is wondering, the actual bus Megabus uses out of Omaha is a single-decker...not the double-deckers they're (i think) famous for. Or maybe it varies based on passenger volume.

2 weeks ago I took it from Omaha to Chicago. There were no problems along the way. Okay, actually there was a problem--there was a very loud, rowdy group of young girls. But they got off at Des Moines instead of Chicago which was really nice of them.

Basically, the bus leaves Omaha, then takes you to Des Moines, then we stop at a McDonalds rest top to get food 45 minutes later, then you stop at Iowa City, and after that it goes to Chicago.

In each city the bus drops you off near a major transit hub. For Omaha it's Crossroads Mall and the bus depot, for Des Moines I'm not too sure but it was a street corner in downtown, in Iowa City it's at the "transportation center", and in Chicago it's at Union Station.

When I took it from St. Louis to Chicago we also stopped at McDonalds. Maybe Megabus has a business deal with McD, or maybe they assume that if you want to pay $1 for a bus ticket, you probably also want to pay little money for food.

Service was as on-time as you could expect a road-based service to be (+/- 15 minutes). Power outlets worked but wireless did not work. The bus wasn't very full so everyone who wanted 2 seats got 2 seats.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

skywalker23 wrote :
2 weeks ago I took it from Omaha to Chicago.
Approximately how much did the ticket end up costing?  I am thinking that I might use this someday.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Has anyone used this guy?  

I booked a trip to Iowa City, and it's costing me 8 bucks.  5 dollars one way, 3 the other.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

TLGJames wrote:Has anyone used this guy?  

I booked a trip to Iowa City, and it's costing me 8 bucks.  5 dollars one way, 3 the other.
A friend of mine took MegaBus one way to Chicago a year or so ago and I heard no complaints.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yeah, have a few friends who have used MegaBus to/from Chicago many times. Generally positive reviews.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Trip Review:

Omaha to Iowa City.  Great, wifi didn't work.  Bus was about 15 minutes late.

Iowa City to Omaha... - Bus was about 50 minutes late, the late text notifier didn't work.  Given no reason why they were late.  Had to call to find out.  Wifi did work though.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Megabus - New IA Service - Omaha next?

Post by nebugeater »

There is a new transit hub that is opening in Coralville for the Iowa City / Coralville area. The Megabus stop for Iowa City will move from downtown to here. Take a few Min to watch the KCRG news video at the link and you get a feel for the look and size of the facility. Looks good!

http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/busine ... b-20150817

CORALVILLE — A new “intermodal” transit facility in Coralville will bring buses, cars and bikes together in the Iowa River Landing in an effort to increase the use of public transportation across Johnson County.

The Coralville Transit Intermodal Facility will begin operations next week when city buses begin serving it. Monday, Megabus started making pick-ups and drop-offs at the facility, which includes bathrooms, showers and a sheltered area. The passenger van line announced earlier this year its stop in Johnson County as part of service between Omaha and Chicago would be moving from the Court Street Transportation Center to Coralville.

The building also has two levels of parking garage space, charging stations for electric cars and bike lockers.

In all, 265 parking spots are available for a park-and-ride commuter program. For $50 a month, drivers can park at the facility, located at 906 Quarry Road, and ride a bus to their destination. Bus tickets are included in the monthly fee.

Coralville City Administrator Kelly Hayworth said he expects the facility will be popular among people commuting to the nearby hospital district in Iowa City or other heavily-traveled areas where parking is sparse.

The $13.5 million facility also leaves room for potential expansion in a nearby lot. Hayworth said there’s also room to add light rail, if trains ever run between the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids areas.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Megabus to resume Omaha-to-Chicago route, add Lincoln stop
Megabus is back, by popular demand.

The bus line will restore service to Chicago from Omaha and cities across Iowa, and will for the first time add service from Lincoln.

It’s doing so by partnering with Carroll, Iowa, bus operator Windstar Lines.

Low gas prices cut demand for Megabus rides, the company said last year in announcing it would end service in January from Omaha and Iowa to Chicago.

Service will begin March 1, with one trip daily in both directions between Lincoln and Chicago, with stops in Omaha, Des Moines, Iowa City, and Moline, Illinois, another new city on the route. Additional trips may be added on weekends and holidays.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I went on the website to check the time of the routes:

Omaha -> Lincoln: 7:55pm - 9pm
Lincoln -> Omaha 11am - 12:05pm

Too bad it's not the reverse, could use it for Nebraska games this fall.