Beyond the Motor City

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Beyond the Motor City

Post by Seth »

Technically this probably belongs in "News and Events," but it's very transportation-related, so I'm posting it here.

Beyond the Motor City

July 14th, 7-9pm at FilmStreams (1340 Mike Fahey)

From the website:

"Part of PBS’s “Blueprint America” series, BEYOND THE MOTOR CITY examines how Detroit, a symbol of America’s diminishing status in the world, may come to represent the future of transportation and progress. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Aaron Woolf (KING CORN), the film explores Detroit’s historic investments in infrastructure -- from early 19th-century canals to the urban freeways that gave The Motor City its name and made America’s transportation system the envy of the world. But it also reveals that over the last 30 years, much of the world has left Detroit -- and America -- behind, choosing faster, cleaner, more modern transportation. In a journey that takes us into the neighborhoods of Detroit and then beyond to Spain, California, and our nation’s capital, BEYOND THE MOTOR CITY urges us to ask how a symbol of America’s urban decay might transform itself into a model of urban revitalization. Can we finally push America’s transit system into the 21st century?"

http://filmstreams.org/filmstreams_calendar.aspx?ID=547
Last edited by Seth on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Can we finally push America’s transit system into the 21st century?
I'm not the only one who wonders this?  :;):

I'd love to see this. Assuming you meant "July" 14th, that is the day my girlfriend and I leave to go scope out apartments in Albany.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yes, it is July 14th (date corrected).  Now I know why I don't post events very often: I can't get the darn date right!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
heck, I'd be fairly happy with the first half of the 20th.
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:

I'd love to see this. Assuming you meant "July" 14th, that is the day my girlfriend and I leave to go scope out apartments in Albany.
You're moving to Albany?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:

You're moving to Albany?
Yes.  :yes:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

There's not some great conspiracy against having clean, high speed trains zooming all across the US, there's just not a market for them - period. Until the price of oil adjusts to reflect it's limited availability (because no oil producing nation will openly admit to it's dwindling reserves), you will see millions of miles of hwy/freeways, and the terribly inefficient jet liners across the US.

Even most Euro style train systems are government subsidized because of lack in profit margin.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You can't sit there and say that there's not a "market" for them. Period.

Yes. Effective transportation takes subsidies. Do our interstate highways have good profit margins? Is our garbage pick-up turning a profit? Is there a city parks department in the country that brings in any kind of profit?

No.

These are services that one should be able to expect in a civilized society.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:You can't sit there and say that there's not a "market" for them. Period.
While there is no legitimate market for them, and there isn't, I will restate my previous comment. "There is no available available needs nor resources to fund these transportation systems currently."

Unfortunately, in this corrupt society we live in, there has to be some lobbying effort on behalf of some corporate giants to create such an initiative, but for now, all of our co*k sucking, money pocketing politicians are allowing oil speculators to to tell YOU and I how we should travel throughout the US.

I already know your thoughts on the subject, but you are so far off base on the reality of the issue.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There's not some great conspiracy against having clean, high speed trains zooming all across the US
Unfortunately, in this corrupt society we live in, there has to be some lobbying effort on behalf of some corporate giants to create such an initiative, but for now, all of our co*k sucking, money pocketing politicians are allowing oil speculators to to tell YOU and I how we should travel throughout the US.
These seem a tad contradictory.  Reconcile, please.
Stable genius.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

There is no reconciling.  That's reality.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
There's not some great conspiracy against having clean, high speed trains zooming all across the US
These seem a tad contradictory.  Reconcile, please.
A conspiracy would imply that there was a secret, under the table effort to manipulate.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Does it really matter if it is covert or overt?
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You don't call political c*cksucking and money pocketing a conspiracy?

Modern marketing (ie. that by which we have all been duped into buying automobiles) almost seems to fit the very definition of conspiracy. Even if it's a commonly known and accepted fact that our reliance on automobiles and the transportation system it has brought about is all the result of dirty, corrupt politics as usual, the real conspiracy lies in private enterprise seducing us into a state of ignorance where we are complacent with this status quo.