Speed Radar Signs

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bifftws
New to the Neighborhood

Speed Radar Signs

Post by bifftws »

I have a strange question.  I am looking for a Speed Radar Sign anywhere in the Omaha metro area.  These signs tell you current speed.  Due to some recent work on my car the speedometer is not off and I am try to find out how much to have it recalibrated.

Thanks,
Biff
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

84th street southbound between Pacific and Center

14th street off ramp from eastbound i480.
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

I think there is one on the 14th St. exit on I480 (north side of downtown).  I pass under it on my way to work in the mornings.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I've seen them in Papillion, heading west on Cornhusker from 72nd to 84th.

Also getting off of 480 heading southbound on 14th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

looks like we have all seen the 14th street one :;):

Another idea... Get a buddy with a cell phone to get in front of you and set the cruse control at different speeds and he can tell you what he has it set at.  If I remember right, if you changed your wheel size the speed will vary at different speeds.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is one on Hwy 370 that is perminate  It is near the Papillion Lavista South High school out at about 108th street

An alternate is to use a GPS.  every GPS I have ever used will give you a ground speed somewhere esp if you are not mapping a route.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

nebugeater wrote:An alternate is to use a GPS.  every GPS I have ever used will give you a ground speed somewhere esp if you are not mapping a route.
Unless you have a GPS that's directly hooked up to the VSS in your car the GPS speed is an estimate.  I wouldn't use that to calibrate your speedometer.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Zilla wrote:Unless you have a GPS that's directly hooked up to the VSS in your car the GPS speed is an estimate.  I wouldn't use that to calibrate your speedometer.
Uh, how about the old fashioned way? Stop watch and the mile posts on the highway?
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Omababe wrote:
Zilla wrote:Unless you have a GPS that's directly hooked up to the VSS in your car the GPS speed is an estimate.  I wouldn't use that to calibrate your speedometer.
Uh, how about the old fashioned way? Stop watch and the mile posts on the highway?
That's just too easy. Sounds like something my father would do. :;):
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Just drive as fast as you can on I-80 and wait for a cop to tell you if your speedometer is accurate.  I inadvertently have that done about once a year.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Big E wrote:Just drive as fast as you can on I-80 and wait for a cop to tell you if your speedometer is accurate.  I inadvertently have that done about once a year.
You might even have an excuse the cop hasn't heard yet!
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Yes there is one on 370 going West-bound.  However... I do not guarantee that it is correct.  Usually it comes off wrong at about 5mph under what you drive.  However, it sometimes says 5mph over, or 10 over, or 10 under, all depending on the day.

Maybe if you know a police officer he could test it for you (seriously speaking).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They just installed a new on on Blondo Street between 66 and 60 when you are heading west.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

230th Street & West Center Road. It's only on the eastbound traffic side, though.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I saw one in Ralston the other day. Q St. eastbound, or whatever they call Q when it passes through Ralston in a not so straight path.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:I saw one in Ralston the other day. Q St. eastbound, or whatever they call Q when it passes through Ralston in a not so straight path.
Ralston has quite a few.  There is one right in front of the Middle school as well.