New Sidealks and Street Lights by Avanza Market

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

New Sidealks and Street Lights by Avanza Market

Post by Brad »

New sidewalks and Street Lights by Avanza Market

They have added a very wide (bike trail width) sidewalk around Avanza and now are adding old school street lights along St Mary from I480 to where it merges with Leavenworth.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I live right around the corner and have noticed the work; it is looking better.

I know this was one of the recommendations in Destination Midtown's Park Avenue Redevelopment Plan; I wonder if any more of the near-term recommendations are in the works?  Park Avenue has a unfortunately maligned reputation for it's potential.  It has easy access to Downtown and Midtown as well as I-480, and its right next to one of the largest city parks in Omaha.  There are also a lot of historic houses and apartments, a few of which haven't been totally trashed.  It's sad that the city has allowed such lax building standards (like all the |expletive| walk-up apartments from the 60s, 70s, and 80s) and haven't cracked down on the slumlords more.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm pretty sure these improvements have been in place for at least a year. I think they were working on this in summer 2009, maybe earlier.

It all seems nice, but I was always waiting to see more... like they got halfway through a plan and then just stopped.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are still working.  They were just pouring more concrete the other day.  Even if they had a few light poles in last year, they definitely have more now.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great to hear!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Seth wrote:I live right around the corner and have noticed the work; it is looking better.

I know this was one of the recommendations in Destination Midtown's Park Avenue Redevelopment Plan; I wonder if any more of the near-term recommendations are in the works?  Park Avenue has a unfortunately maligned reputation for it's potential.  It has easy access to Downtown and Midtown as well as I-480, and its right next to one of the largest city parks in Omaha.  There are also a lot of historic houses and apartments, a few of which haven't been totally trashed.  It's sad that the city has allowed such lax building standards (like all the |expletive| walk-up apartments from the 60s, 70s, and 80s) and haven't cracked down on the slumlords more.
I like the walk-ups from a pedestrian-scale viewpoint, and there are definitely great historic houses and architecture along Park.  But damn...really too bad it's gone downhill as far as it has.