10th Street Bridge will Grow

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

10th Street Bridge will Grow

Post by Brad »

10th Street bridge will grow

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110121/N ... -will-grow
Kevin Cole WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Pedestrians and drivers roaming between the Old Market and the Qwest Center Omaha will one day have more room to maneuver.

A $2.5 million plan to widen the 10th Street bridge over the Gene Leahy Mall will be unveiled Thursday during a public meeting at the W. Dale Clark Library, 215 S. 15th St.

Todd Pfitzer, an engineer with the Omaha Public Works Department, said 10th Street between Farnam and Douglas Streets will be widened by one lane — increasing the width from 40 feet to 55 feet.

The bridge’s sidewalks will increase from 5 feet wide to 8 feet wide.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Awesome!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Excellent - and it's about time.

Hopefully a certain level of attention is paid to the design and aesthetic of this bridge - something that cannot be said for the current bridge or the 13th Street bridge over Leahy Mall.

I'm wondering if a design will be included in the unveiling this Thursday, or just the "plan."*

*Edit: The article does say that the meeting will feature displays of what the bridge will look like. Again, I'm very hopeful that there are some redeeming design qualities that will make the new bridge visually better than the old.

Also, judging from the construction time frame and budget, this seems like a retrofit of the existing bridge, not a demo-rebuild. Anyone have any insights?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: Also, judging from the construction time frame and budget, this seems like a retrofit of the existing bridge, not a demo-rebuild. Anyone have any insights?
They have widened other bridges in town and just added another beam on the end and extend the bridge.  I would guess it will look exactly the same just wider.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well then, what a visual tragedy. At least they're widening the sidewalks, and presumably doing away with the ridiculous configuration of the sidewalk/stairs on the west side.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I kid of like the combination.  Yes its not the best when trying to bypass the park, but its great access when you are in the park.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The article mentioned it would start this spring, but there hasn't been anything happen yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The article mentioned it would start this spring, but there hasn't been anything happen yet.
They have already made a few changes to the traffic signals.  I thought the real construction was not until after the CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So maybe next year then?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:So maybe next year then?
May be cdub knows?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Does anyone have an update on this project?  According to the initial schedule, construction was supposed to start after the CWS, and be mostly complete by this winter.  As we can tell, they've fallen way behind schedule, as they've yet to even start on any of this....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Noticed tonight they put some fence polls on both ends of the pedestrian walk on the west side of the bridge.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

It does appear construction is about to begin.  Hawkins construction trailer on site.  They need to get this done in time for CWS and Swim Trials.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120102/N ... st-tie-ups
Between now and June 1, crews will handle prep work and work on the bridge's foundation. Although the west walkway into the Leahy Mall has been closed, the walkway on the east side of the bridge will remain open.

After July 8, work will proceed to the bridge itself and the street, which will cause some restrictions for traffic and closure of the east walkway. But the city plans to keep one lane open for traffic each way. Handicapped-accessible pedestrian detours will be available.

Work on the entire project is scheduled to wrap up in 2013.
Damn, I didn't expect this to take a whole year.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The pedestrian sidewalk on the west side of the structure has been completely removed.  I have not walked down below in a while so I have nothing to report on new construction yet.  I hope they can get the new pedestrian walkway constructed soon, only thirty two more day until the NCAA Basketball Tournament rolls in tow town.
where the corn meets the concrete
justnick
Human Relations

10th street bridge

Post by justnick »

What is happening on the 10th street bridge over our dear nasty swamp that is the Gene Leahy Mall?
the more they do the more confused I get.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just adding to it.  Wider sidewalks and I think a turn lane.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I really thought they would have the pedestrian walkway done before the trials and CWS.  
They really haven't done much in the past few weeks.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Didn't wait long after the swim trials to get back to work.  They've got a lane closed today ripping out the pedestrian walkway on the east side of the bridge.  

I was really hoping they'd complete the walkway on the west side before ripping out the one on the east.  Now it'll force pedestrians to walk down into the park, and cross over on the stepping stones, behind the greenhouse, or go all the way to the 12th st bridge over the mall.  Silly to disconnect this important pedestrian route from the Clink to the OM.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I've seen quite a few people just walking in the street on 10th.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Ben wrote:I was really hoping they'd complete the walkway on the west side before ripping out the one on the east.  Now it'll force pedestrians to walk down into the park, and cross over on the stepping stones, behind the greenhouse, or go all the way to the 12th st bridge over the mall.  Silly to disconnect this important pedestrian route from the Clink to the OM.
Yeah, my wife and I went out with some friends on Saturday night and walked from Old Market to the Capitol district.  I didn't know pedestrian access was closed, so we had to detour back west to the bridge over the mall.  There were people walking across in traffic, but it didn't look like a safe choice.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the entire deck is poured now.  However the approach to both ends still needs work as well as the barriers on the sides.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed that they have quite a few pallets of hand rails there for the pedestrian walkways.  It should look nicer than the plain cement barrier they used to have there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:I noticed that they have quite a few pallets of hand rails there for the pedestrian walkways.  It should look nicer than the plain cement barrier they used to have there.
I noticed the stands that the light poles will go on look exactly like the ones further south on 10th along the viaduct.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The new bridge is going to look great!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:The new bridge is going to look great!
Is it because of the new handrails and light poles? Or did they do more to the bridge itself?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Is it because of the new handrails and light poles? Or did they do more to the bridge itself?
Yes, the new handrails.  Its the same as it was before down below.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, I saw the bridge today and it is going to look much much nicer than the previous one.  It should be a nice touch, connecting the Old Market with the CenturyLink Center.  Hopefully it opens soon for all the fans for the Creighton games.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Wow! That does look a lot nicer! Thanks for the photo update!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Huge improvement. Thanks for the photos.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wide sidewalks will be awesome.  Much better situation all around.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This can't be far from being done.  They have the new light poles in and it just looks about ready to open.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to the ODID's Facebook page, the bridge will be open tomorrow.

It will be nice getting it back to normal since 50%+ of the driving population doesn't follow the "No Left Turn" and the "Left Turn Only" signs down there.  I am surprised there were not a lot more wrecks during construction.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The bridge is definitely open today.  Looks nice.  A huge improvement over the old one.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

They're still not 100% done though...  Still using the temporary stoplights, and they've got some landscaping / brickwork to do.  Basically just reassembly of the areas that they tore out to make room for the construction.  That and a bunch of cleanup, and removal of the construction trailer.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Ben wrote:Still using the temporary stoplights, and they've got some landscaping / brickwork to do.
So I'm guessing that means they will finally complete replacing the stoplights from the Old Market to the CLink/TDAP. As far as I can remember, Douglas was the last intersection in that stretch that they hadn't done.

I know that most people probably don't think much about stoplights, but I think these style of lights make an area appear nicer - especially compared to the style they had there before.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are still working on a new sidewalk from the SW Corner of 10th and Douglas down to the Lake.  Lots of large rocks for a retaining wall.  Should be a nice addition.