Omaha B-Cycle (Bike Share Program)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

the1wags
County Board

Omaha B-Cycle (Bike Share Program)

Post by the1wags »

I thought I'd start a discussion specific to Omaha in regards to a bike sharing program. You might have seen my other thread about Denver's system they rolled out last year.
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10415

Here is a map of DT/MT Omaha with what I think would be a really good starter system for Omaha. 22 stations.

Station list.

UNMC research center
Kiewit/Blackstone area
Midtown Crossing
Joslyn Art Museum
Creighton Med Center
Creighton west
Creighton Sokal arena
Creighton housing near Harper Center
Greenstreets/Slowdown
Hotels north of Cuming
Qwest Center Omaha
Kerry Ped Bridge
Courthouse/City hall
First National
Union Pacific
Library
Patricks Market
10th & Dodge
Gene Leahy Mall
Heartland of America Park
11th and Howard
11th and Jones

Thoughts?

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Really cool plan, I would love to see something like that happen here.  It sounds like it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to set up the system or to ride the bikes either.

Future sites?

50th and Underwood
UNO Student Center
Aksarben Village
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

|expletive|, I totally forgot Dundee. Great ideas on UNO and Aksarben too. I'm trying to think of a core starter system and also ones to add in a second phase.

I was thinking future Sokal and Zoo stations would be nice as well.

In Denver, Kaiser Permanente sponsors the system, though I have no idea on $$$ or how much cost of the system that covers. You can sponsor stations. I'm assuming some of the larger owners of the station locations (ie First National, UP, Qwest Center) would get on board for buying and installing the station at their locations. You also would have some $ coming in with the membership fees and ride charges. Once its in and the bikes are bought, you just have maintenance and a couple of jobs cost. Likely 2 people to work on bikes and also patrol around and reshuffle bikes. How many bikes would you want at the Qwest Center station for after a game? Before the game? There are logistics of the system that need addressed by a worker or two.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well I agree that at first it needs to be smaller then grow to the demand.

Zoo and Sokol would be great I know there were some south of DT that I was trying to come up with.

Even some where in Benson like near the Waiting Room would be nice.

There are probably hundreds of spots we could come up with.  I like your original 20 or so for sure though.
The city of Boulder is using a $250,000 federal grant to help launch Boulder B-cycle, but the total cost to implement the first phase of the program will likely be closer to $1.3 million. The annual cost for operating and maintaining the 200 bikes and the accompanying stations will be about $520,000, according to a memo by the city staff.
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17011815

General costs to get some perspective.

It sounds like the basic idea of the placement of the docking areas is to make sure you can get to a new spot in less than 30 mins to avoid the fees on top of your membership.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It can't be too small to start.  Its not going to b e effective and loose interest.  People really need the wow factor. I think Josh's plan plus UNO and Dundee would be a great phase 1.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great post, Josh! Thanks for doing it!

I agree with Brad about the size of the "roll-out" phase, and how it must include Dundee/Elmwood/UNO (of course, there are some MAJOR connectivity issues that need to be addressed between those areas and Midtown/Downtown).

And thanks, too, Josh, for pointing out that the Denver system is sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. I was previously attacked for even suggesting that a private company take on this endeavor in Omaha, in spite of the fact that it has been successfully done elsewhere.

As I've said, Union Pacific is the perfect candidate for this, in my opinion - especially with all the recent press they've been getting for their record-setting profit margins.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:As I've said, Union Pacific is the perfect candidate for this, in my opinion - especially with all the recent press they've been getting for their record-setting profit margins.
Union Pacific is re-investing billions of their own money in to Upgrading their infrastructure all over the western 2/3 of the United States.  Not that a bike share program would cost that much.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

$520,000 annually for 200 bikes????  $2,500 per bike, per year???  Seems high.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Not really when you consider maintenance and service of the vehicles (which will, ideally, be ridden MUCH more than the average bicycle) and their docking/pay stations.

Actually, even if you don't consider those things, it's still not that much. That kind of chump change would be an afterthought to most CFOs.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

So how does this work when certain stations have too many bikes, when bikes aren't returned to the station they were checked out from, or other circumstances of that nature?

I don't mean any offense to the people of Omaha in general, but I would never front any amount of money for something like this. I just envision these bikes being checked out and never returned.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

S33 wrote:So how does this work when certain stations have too many bikes, when bikes aren't returned to the station they were checked out from, or other circumstances of that nature?

I don't mean any offense to the people of Omaha in general, but I would never front any amount of money for something like this. I just envision these bikes being checked out and never returned.
S33, as noted above, a couple of workers pick up and drop off bikes at the stations, keeping a fairly even amount of bikes through the system. The stations "know" how many bikes it has and this I'm sure can all be looked up in a database.

As far as bikes vanishing, there is a membership required to use the bike share system. Regardless if it is a 7 day or annual membership, there has to be a credit or debit card number tied to your membership. In Denver there is a charge of $1000 if the bike is not returned. Its not a free for all, grab a bike and go. There's a method to the madness. :)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a link to the company running the Denver program. They also do the Chicago and Des Moines systems, among a few others.

http://www.bcycle.com/home.aspx

They have a "Who wants it more?", so get on there and vote for Omaha!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Real estate company Kentwood City Properties partners with Denver B-Cycle for the upcoming 2011 and 2012 seasons. (System is currently closed in the winter)

http://denver.bcycle.com/tabid/99/itemid/64/news.aspx

Of note from the article....

"Kentwood City Properties is one of the 37 sponsors and partners of Denver B-cycle, which includes Kaiser Permanente as presenting sponsor."

Apparently, these companies were forced to participate at gunpoint by hippies like Streets.  :roll:
http://denver.bcycle.com/About/OurSponsors.aspx
Last edited by the1wags on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Just got back from Barcelona.. they have something similar called Bicing]

I will say it looked like a resounding success...  people were on these things everywhere I went, all times of the day.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

From the Denver Post: Denver rolls out the second year of its bike share program.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17611250
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Over 200,000 miles in year one!  I like how they mentioned using bike sharing to compliment the public transportation too.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:Apparently, these companies were forced to participate at gunpoint by hippies like Streets.  :roll:
http://denver.bcycle.com/About/OurSponsors.aspx
Missed that one the first time.  Nice. :D
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:From the Denver Post: Denver rolls out the second year of its bike share program.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17611250
Thanks for posting that Streets. I saw the article the other day and was going to post it, but spaced it.

As iamjacobm noted, over 20% of rides last year were in conjunction with bus or light rail rides. Multi mode transportation options are good. ::):

Also, they lowered the bottom usage age from 18 to 16 with a valid drivers license. Last season they closed the system on Dec 5th after about 7 months of use. With an earlier start and more potential riders, Denver should easily crack 300,000 miles this year.  8)

Denver has 50 stations. I'm thinking I need to tweek the Omaha proposal before firing it off to anyone. It needs a few more stations. 30 would be a great roll out starting point.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely, Josh. Are you actively thinking of pitching a proposal for Omaha? If so, I want to be involved to the extent that I can. I'm with you 100%.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Sweet, we've outsourced our representation to Denver and Albany. :;):

Those would be handy. I'd like to get a bike, it would make getting around DT so much easier. Any tips on drunk cycling, Aaron?
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:Sweet, we've outsourced our representation to Denver and Albany. :;):

Those would be handy. I'd like to get a bike, it would make getting around DT so much easier. Any tips on drunk cycling, Aaron?
:)

Don't do it. ;)
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Absolutely, Josh. Are you actively thinking of pitching a proposal for Omaha? If so, I want to be involved to the extent that I can. I'm with you 100%.
I don't know that I've been actively thinking about it lately. :;): I've been busy working on my new photo site most nights and snowboarding my |expletive| off on the weekends. :)

It is something I would like to present though, yes. I want to go get some shots and footage of the stations, get some contact info for bcycle and denver admin, etc. Also work on adding a few more stations and finalise locations. Maybe see about getting ballpark numbers for startup costs, etc. Maybe Brad and/or D'shawn could snag some photos of the proposed locations once thay are set. I really think this would work well in Omaha and would like to help make it happen.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

|expletive| yeah! Thank you Omaha Bikes!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Thank them when there is a system in place. I realize I'm being an jerk when I say that I hope they have more success than Omaha Streetcar has had with their efforts. Good luck Omaha Bikes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Omaha Bikes is an active, engaged, diverse group of advocates and enthusiasts. They have been and will continue to be an invaluable force for bicycling facilities and a healthier, better Omaha.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

But do they have a plan beyond "Lets make some signs and stand on corner X this weekend"?

Don't get me wrong, I wish them all the success in the world in getting B Cycle to Omaha. This is more of a rant about the failings of the aforementioned Omaha Streetcar.

Omaha Streetcar had public meetings in 05 and 06 with TV coverage, large turnouts, even World Herald polls showing over 60% wanting to build. I'd attend meetings and it was seriously stuff like the above. They should have been kicking in the office doors of the Ben Nelsons and Lee Terrys of the world and demanding funding, not making signs to hold up on 10th and Bancroft.  :roll:

You can be too Grassroots and not know when to "go for the kill". /End rant.

Again, I wish Omaha Bikes nothing but success in their efforts.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree with you.

Fortunately, the two organizations are very different, though they share the commonality of being unofficial advocate/enthusiast groups. Possibly the main difference is how much more accessible getting a bike-share system is compared to getting a streetcar line built.

With B-Cycle, they are organized and know what they're doing and, with sponsorship, they can come in and get a system up and running in the span of a summer.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

not quite bike-sharing, but...
WOWT wrote:The program, a collaboration between Greenstreet Cycles and The Partnership For Our Kids Group Mentoring Program will teach over 450 low-income students about safe cycling as sustainable transportation.

Through a grant from Specialized bicycle components as well as a donation from Salsa bicycles, a fleet of 30 brand new, cherry red, youth-sized Specialized Sirrus bikes will be used for safety instruction and group rides across the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian bridge.
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Shar ... 37794.html
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

B-Cycle was apparently in Omaha a couple weeks ago doing a kiosk demonstration at Aksarben Village. Hmmmmm.... :)

From OmahaBikes.org
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That's a very encouraging sign.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omaha B Cycle is supposed to be launching this month!

Check out the Facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/OmahaBcycle
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whaaaaaaa?!!!!! How has this not been in the news yet?

Incredible!

I REALLY want to see details about docking kiosk locations, funding sources, etc.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It launches tomorrow I guess!  There needs to be more information out about this!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

There is a story on WOW about this. It mentions 5 stations. :? While getting started is great, starting with five is just sad. They should have no less than 15 as a starter system.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They are pretty much all in the Aksarben area as well.  Maybe for the few months it is open this year it will just be 5 then a few more added next spring.  I hope at least.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

From Omaha B-Cycle's Facebook page.

Looking forward to station location details but this gives an idea. Note Blue Cross is this location and also on the sign as a sponsor.

Assembly of one of the bikes.

I'd (big shock here) advocate system expansion to the east. Dundee, UNMC, Midtown Crossing are obvious spots on the way to downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The locations are:

UNO student center.
Mammel Hall.
BCBS
The Movie theater
Wholner's
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110615/L ... /706159807
Organizers have plans to expand the bike-share program to downtown, north downtown, Midtown Crossing and possibly beyond.
“We want to have the city covered with bicycles,” said Kerri Peterson, executive director of Live Well Omaha. The system is especially intended to encourage people to use bikes for errands and trips under two miles, she said.
I realllly hope this is in the short term plans.  Give people a little taste this summer then hit it hard next spring.  While this is a start it is pretty concentrated in Aksarben.  I would of rather seen the 5 at TD, Qwest, Riverfront Gene Lahey/Library and Old Market than in Aksarben if they could only launch with 5.  I suppose it has a lot to do with BCBS being the sponsor though.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah I'm guessing that Blue Cross put forth the bulk of cash for those starting 5.

As I've said before, I think it would be entirely possible for individual corporations/interests to pay for station installation at their respective locations. Mutual pay for one at Midtown Crossing, Union Pacific at their HQ, First National at 16th & Dodge, MECA at Qwest, CU pay for a couple on campus, etc etc.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

"Organizers have plans to expand the bike-share program to downtown, north downtown, Midtown Crossing and possibly beyond.

“We want to have the city covered with bicycles,” said Kerri Peterson, executive director of Live Well Omaha. The system is especially intended to encourage people to use bikes for errands and trips under two miles, she said.

Martin said he expects to have bikes and stations in downtown Omaha by next spring."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald article...

http://omaha.com/article/20110615/LIVEW ... -return-it