Frontier, Nonstops to LAX, Omaha a focus city, etc.

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Frontier, Nonstops to LAX, Omaha a focus city, etc.

Post by NovakOmaha »

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Three day weekends o' fun.
OMATOL
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMATOL »

Nice headline in the article. Omaha has a had non-stops at least twice to the Los Angeles area since 2001. Midwest flew a daily OMA-LAX for about a year around 2007 or so. ExpressJet flew to Ontario for a period of time as well.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Long overdue.  Growing in Omaha is going to be much easier than Denver, Milwaukee or Kansas City.

Hopefully it actually becomes a reality.  Flights to BOS, SFO and others would be amazing.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

omaja wrote:Long overdue.  Growing in Omaha is going to be much easier than Denver, Milwaukee or Kansas City.

Hopefully it actually becomes a reality.  Flights to BOS, SFO and others would be amazing.
Boston wouldn't be so surprising, considering Midwest offered that for a number of years.  Regardless, all of those mentioned in the article would be great non-stops if they transpire.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It's about time!

Changing in Denver to get to El-Lay is a pain!

Now let's see how the pricing goes ...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omababe wrote:Now let's see how the pricing goes ...
Out of curiosity, what additional price or percentage do you consider fair for a direct flight?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:
Omababe wrote:Now let's see how the pricing goes ...
Out of curiosity, what additional price or percentage do you consider fair for a direct flight?
For personal travel to the LA area, I think that anything $300-ish is fair for such a flight, and you can almost always get those if you look around. Southwest seems to run anywhere between the mid $200s to the $400-ish lately.

For business, I have to use a TA who will usually select the lowest priced flight. Lately to El-Lay it's been Frontier via Denver on a teeny-tiny plane on the Omaha to Denver segment. If the direct non-stop is competitive, I can probably get that option, but if skipping the stop doubles the price, no way.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

$229.90 each inclusive of taxes and fees was the introductory round-trip fare offered last fall. Travelocity is quoting $509 for the same flights today (2 seats left) but under $350 for July. Looks like we have a bargain air-fare for spring break.  8)
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

icejammer wrote:
omaja wrote:Long overdue.  Growing in Omaha is going to be much easier than Denver, Milwaukee or Kansas City.

Boston wouldn't be so surprising, considering Midwest offered that for a number of years.  Regardless, all of those mentioned in the article would be great non-stops if they transpire.
They did?  I flew direct/no change of plane OMA-MCI-BOS, but I don't recall them offering OMA-BOS nonstop.  The market between Omaha and Boston seems a little on the small side for a nonstop (only 75 passengers daily each way in Q2 2010).  A once-daily Embraer 170 or 190 would definitely compliment existing service via Milwaukee, though, in addition to stimulating the market somewhat.  I would certainly love it.  :;):
Big E wrote:Out of curiosity, what additional price or percentage do you consider fair for a direct flight?
Just using OMA-BOS as an example, Delta had 27 percent of the market with an average fare of $221 in Q2 2010.  I'd say $280-300 or so round trip is very reasonable for a nonstop.  Considering I have paid upwards of $450 for a connecting itinerary on random, non-peak travel times, the market can likely be stimulated quite a bit if they price nonstops to the coasts reasonably.  San Francisco, Seattle, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore, Portland, Sacramento, Boston and Philadelphia all have pretty sizable markets to Omaha.  

Will be interesting to see how serious Frontier actually is about growing in Omaha.  There is definitely market share up for grabs, especially without a very substantial Southwest presence (unlike DEN, MKE and MCI).  Now if only Frontier would join an alliance so the miles are actually worth a little bit more. :D
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

omaja wrote:
icejammer wrote:

They did?  I flew direct/no change of plane OMA-MCI-BOS, but I don't recall them offering OMA-BOS nonstop.  The market between Omaha and Boston seems a little on the small side for a nonstop (only 75 passengers daily each way in Q2 2010).  
Yeah, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Midwest had a nonstop OMA-BOS; I don't recall if it was offered daily or just certain days of the week.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

icejammer wrote:
omaja wrote:
icejammer wrote:

They did?  I flew direct/no change of plane OMA-MCI-BOS, but I don't recall them offering OMA-BOS nonstop.  The market between Omaha and Boston seems a little on the small side for a nonstop (only 75 passengers daily each way in Q2 2010).  
Yeah, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Midwest had a nonstop OMA-BOS; I don't recall if it was offered daily or just certain days of the week.

Nope...never a OMA-BOS nonstop.  One stop in KCI on Midwest but that was it.  Maybe you're thinking of the 5x weekly flight on Midwest from OMA-EWR that lasted a few years in the mid 90's.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joleo wrote:Nope...never a OMA-BOS nonstop.  One stop in KCI on Midwest but that was it.  Maybe you're thinking of the 5x weekly flight on Midwest from OMA-EWR that lasted a few years in the mid 90's.
Hmmm, now I'm going to have to dig out those old flight itineraries...

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

DepartedFlights.com has some old route maps showing that Midwest started service to Omaha in 1995 flying OMA-DCA/EWR/LAX/MKE/SAN.  By May of 1997 they added Kansas City and in 1999 they dropped San Diego in favor of Orlando.  The direct OMA-MCI-BOS flight was pretty seamless so it almost seemed like a non-stop.  The NYC-Omaha market is substantially larger than Boston (around 400 passengers daily to NYC compared to 130 or so to Boston), so it would make sense that they operated EWR non-stop.

Omaha is a solid market from every major coastal city so it is a little surprising that it has had such on-again off-again service to California, Florida, NYC, etc.  Sucks to be sandwiched between Chicago and Denver (and Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis...) I guess. :(
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

The Frontier flights to/from Los Angeles on March 11th/18th were full. Plenty of demand, but since Omaha is not a hub, there are some details to be worked out. There was no ice on the outbound flight which left 15-minutes late..not really a bad turnaround performance by the Omaha crew considering the flight from Orlando was closer to 30-minutes. I'd give Frontier a B+. I'm sure they will improve performance with some more practice. The plus for Omaha - quite a few on the flights were from the Des Moines area.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

OmahaBen wrote:
mrdwhsr wrote:The plus for Omaha - quite a few on the flights were from the Des Moines area.
Considering Des Moines is the 2nd most expensive airport in the country...not surprising.
Where did you see that?  Maybe top 10; doubtful it has ever climbed as high as number two though.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Frontier Airline's Omaha-Orlando (MCO) will now become daily nonstop (except Sunday's) starting on October 6th of this fall.  Service is on a 100 seat Jet with 2 x 2 seating.  

The service did really well this past winter at 3 times or 4 times per week service so it will be 6 times per week starting this fall.  

No word yet on weather Omaha-Tampa/ St Pete will return.  Should know in a couple of months.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thanks, Joleo! Definitely good news.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

joleo wrote:No word yet on weather Omaha-Tampa/ St Pete will return.  Should know in a couple of months.
They are suspending Milwaukee-St. Petersburg so I don't think we'll see OMA-PIE return.  No sense in keeping a station open to serve less-than-daily service from Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Frontier cuts back on nonstop flights
Michaela Saunders WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Frontier Airlines will cut its nonstop routes from Omaha to Los Angeles and San Diego in mid-August. The Omaha Airport Authority and Frontier, based in Denver, announced the changes Friday. Frontier said high gas prices made focusing on the new market expansion in Omaha difficult.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Sorry to hear that.  But honestly they needed at least one daily nonstop flight to either city in order to compete.  Three times a week just doesn't cut it for frequent travelers who are fiercely loyal to United and Southwest on Omaha-West Coast routes.