168th St Bridge over Zornski???

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Are there any plans to hurry up and widen 168th Street over Lake Zornski while the lake is completely empty.  I drove by the other day and that is an incredible sight seeing that lake empty like that.  Right now its narrow and the bike trail is really dangerous around that bridge.  It would be nice to get a new wider/taller/longer bridge in place and remove those really bad blind spots in the bike trail were you can not only have a head on collision on your bike, but you will land in the water if you fall off...
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Whilst it would be nice, I haven't heard anything. Plus, it could burden traffic because they'd need to expand north and south of the bridge. With all the residential areas in close proximity, I could imagine it being a hectic commute on 168th if that happened.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

They'll need to do something eventually.  My guess is they would build a new extension of the current bridge to the west with a new pedestrian/bicycle pathway as well.  The southbound lanes would curve a little bit along the approach to line up with the new bridge, but it seems like it could be done.

168th Street is a mess for pretty much its entire length.  It needs to be widened to four lanes all the way from Maple to Harrison.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

I agree, though I doubt they'd do it for the area between Pacific and Center.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Widening the whole thing is not a question of if, but when.  You can see from satellite images that they already have most of the right of way set aside for the widening.  A few retaining walls here and there will be needed, but nothing they haven't done before. :;):