Parkageddon 2011

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Parkageddon 2011

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:I think they only had one gate open. The way they (MECA) manage those lots is frustrating. Much better off just walking from NDT or even south of the OM.
I think a lot of that is by design. They get lot "B" out on to 12th Street, lot D out on to Cuming, and Lot A dumps out south of the Clink. That way it keeps the traffic away from the main entrance and keeps the gridlock in the parking lots and not out on the streets. It talkes a min to get out of the lots, but once you are on the street, you usually move right along. The best part about Lot D "north lot" at the CWS is that you can turn right and go down riverfront drive and miss everyone that is trying to turn left.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like I-480 is shut down at Martha due to a car fire. First apartments, now cars? Those darn UNO students..
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad posted some fantastic CWS aerials to his FB page this past week and one caught my eye b/c it showed how overbuilt our event parking is.

That has got to be a stadium with 20K people in it and we have hundreds of empty stalls. I do know later in the week MECA started letting people park in Lot D w/o a parking pass. I am wondering if that will be the practice going forward with Lot G going away.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Jacob. I have tons of aerials to post once the CWS is over.

I'm not sure how full the lots are getting since I get to the stadium an hour + before the game and usually stay for an hour + after the game is over. However I was disappointed when I did the aerials on Friday around 2:30pm, the stadium had one of the smallest crowds I have ever seen.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

iamjacobm wrote:...how overbuilt our event parking is.

That has got to be a stadium with 20K people in it and we have hundreds of empty stalls.
I definitely think that's a reflection of the fact that the average fan can't (normally) just drive up and pay to park in those lots. Given our love in Omaha for parking at the door, I'm sure those lots would be full if people were given the opportunity.

That's NOT to say I love seeing those expansive surface lots around the stadium and CLink, because I'd certainly rather see a few levels of parking with some development above.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Can't wait to hear the complaining from people next CWS when both Lot G and The Yard are torn up and not available. Almost 1000 parking spots going away.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Another reason to get those garages and development on Lot B started ASAP! Residences/apartments will probably want their own 24/7 parking too. Unless we're moving more toward a downtown where you're better off not having a car if you live downtown. We're going to see parking become more expensive.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GetUrban wrote:Another reason to get those garages and development on Lot B started ASAP! Residences/apartments will probably want their own 24/7 parking too. Unless we're moving more toward a downtown where you're better off not having a car if you live downtown. We're going to see parking become more expensive.
We should definitely see parking at least go vertical. It's the only physical way to fit them.