Urban Bikeway Guide

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dusty
Human Relations

Urban Bikeway Guide

Post by Dusty »

I found a site called Nacto.org. It has on online guide to the design of urban bikeways. It's a cool guide that gives some great concepts.

When designing new bike infrastructure in Omaha, we need to use some of these designs.

http://nacto.org/cities-for-cycling/design-guide/
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I couldn't agree more. And we are lucky that cities finally have an alternative to the traditionally highway-themed approach provided by the ASSHTO guide.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks for sharing.  I was impressed by the wide acceptance of bicycle transportation in Montreal, a city just as hilly as Omaha with an even more hostile climate.  The streets have dedicated bicycle lanes, which are used by young and old alike.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly. The reasons most people give that "cycling won't work in Omaha" really come from a place of pure ignorance.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963