North Freeway/480 interchange overhaul

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Perhaps this has been discussed, but I just stumbled onto this.

Apparently, back in the 1970s, the only thing that kept the North Freeway from receiving an interstate designation was that the actual interchange with I-480 was not up to interstate standards.

It was originally proposed that it be designated as "I-580". It's not known, but after the completion of the reconstruction, it could receive this designation.

From Wikipedia:
Interstate 580 (abbreviated I-580) was the designation for a 4-mile (6.4 km) spur route in North Omaha during the late 1970s and early 1980s. This designation was revoked when the state of Nebraska declined to upgrade the interchange with I-480 to Interstate Highway standards. The freeway is currently the route of U.S. Highway 75 and is known locally as the North Freeway.

In 2005, the Nebraska Department of Roads began a project to bring the I-480/US 75 interchange up to Interstate standards. Construction is expected to be complete in 2009. It is unknown if the North Freeway will receive an Interstate designation upon completion of the project.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Perhaps this has been discussed, but I just stumbled onto this.

Apparently, back in the 1970s, the only thing that kept the North Freeway from receiving an interstate designation was that the actual interchange with I-480 was not up to interstate standards.

It was originally proposed that it be designated as "I-580". It's not known, but after the completion of the reconstruction, it could receive this designation.

From Wikipedia:
Interstate 580 (abbreviated I-580) was the designation for a 4-mile (6.4 km) spur route in North Omaha during the late 1970s and early 1980s. This designation was revoked when the state of Nebraska declined to upgrade the interchange with I-480 to Interstate Highway standards. The freeway is currently the route of U.S. Highway 75 and is known locally as the North Freeway.

In 2005, the Nebraska Department of Roads began a project to bring the I-480/US 75 interchange up to Interstate standards. Construction is expected to be complete in 2009. It is unknown if the North Freeway will receive an Interstate designation upon completion of the project.
[youtube][/youtube][/url]
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha.

I do actually think Wikipedia might be the best thing in the world.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Haha.

I do actually think Wikipedia might be the best thing in the world.
I also love it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

No doubt you'd give up the 580 designation for an Eppley International though, huh. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

In a New York minute!

Actually, strike that, I'd give both up for viable rail and public transportation alternatives.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

They are rapidly progressing on this project.  The biggest project now seems to be that they are building a new bridge from 75 South on to 480 South.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Interchange appears to be done.  The exit off of westbound 480 on to N30th street is so much better.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Does anyone have an idea if NDOR intends to sell the excess land they have from this interchange along 30th Street south of the hospital and the Ark Inn or whatever it's called? There's a lot of excess land there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+fr ... raska&z=18
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

East or West side of 30th?

Here is my guess...

East of 30th - No
It would have some access issues.  It would be right in and right out only because of the large turn lane for southbound 480 ramp.  The NDOR wouldn't do anything to mess up traffic flow on to and off of the interstate..

West of 30th- may be
It would still have access issues.  If they did anything it would probably need a connection to the neighborhood to the west, the NDOR sill wouldn't allow a left turn in the middle of that block and intersection to the south is already odd enough.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Id be surprised to see any of it available.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That's what I figured. It's frustrating to see them sit on so much land in the downtown area and not do anything with it. There was barely an attempt at even landscaping it. LA has no issues with filling in the insides of many of their cloverleaf interchanges with something other than grass (granted LA is a different animal).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+ange ... ornia&z=19
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I always thought inside the loops and ramps would be a nice spot for alternative energy, mostly wind and solar.  There are not usually any mature trees that would block the solar and the interstate already makes more noise than the wind turbine would.  Creighton is already building solar and wind all over campus, this is right there in the neighborhood.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:I always thought inside the loops and ramps would be a nice spot for alternative energy, mostly wind and solar.  There are not usually any mature trees that would block the solar and the interstate already makes more noise than the wind turbine would.  Creighton is already building solar and wind all over campus, this is right there in the neighborhood.
Perhaps a coffee kiosk?  
Damn drive thrus are getting stuck everywhere imaginable, this is the ultimate in driveby traffic!

Its not impossible that something could happen here but it would take someone with a really great idea and a lot of steam.  NDOR doesn't care much about land utilization or the appearance of the city so they will sit on it otherwise.