Transportation Plan Open House and Omaha bikes event

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Transportation Plan Open House and Omaha bikes event

Post by cdub »

Heyday on May Day
When:Tue, May 1, 5pm – 9pm

Where25th and Harney Streets, Omaha (map)

A transportation celebration of the updated Transportation Master Plan, occurring on May 1, 5-9pm, 25 & Harney! Omaha is about to adopt an updated Transportation Master Plan for our fine city, and we’re throwing a party to celebrate our past accomplishments and look to the future with hope for many more.  The plan is for the City to shut down the north two lanes of Harney Street between 26th and 24th Ave. to showcase how wonderful an active, walkable, bikeable, liveable street could be! Priority 1 on the master plan is to convert Harney Street, from Midtwown to the Old Market, into a multi-modal corridor friendly multi modes of transportation. The ‘Market to Midtown Connector’ is sure to be a wonderful addition to Omaha. At the Heyday, we’ll help you visualize what that could mean to you.

By the way, this guy is not helpful...

Vorhees nonsensical rant on Transportation Plan:

http://www.kfab.com/player/?station=KFA ... d=22027623
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think the Harney street plan will be really cool once it's done.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I'm looking forward to Heyday on Mayday.  Should be a lot of people down there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This podcoast  :koko:

When was the last time he took Harney into downtown?  Least used "major" street downtown that would go from 4 underused lanes to 3 under used lanes.
The average city bus has 2 people on it any time day or night?  Come on.
They city planner is going to force us to take public transportation?  Don't know if Rick Cunningham is going to be dragging people out of their cars and pushing them on busses.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I have to say that if I didn't know there more more people with such narrow-minded ideas, I'd just have to laugh at nonsense like that.  I wonder if he was one of the drivers who didn't respect our right to use the street last weekend and nearly clipped us?

On a more positive note, this is a good sign that there is motivation behind this project.  My wife and I would use the new bike corridor quite a bit, it's one of our most commonly-used routes.  Having a two-way bike route on Harney would make trips there a lot more convenient and safer compared to the current need to dodge around all the one-way streets, on top of the superblocks (the Doubletree is a real pain when going to and from North Downtown).
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

They made a new website for the master plan!

http://www.movingomaha.org/

Looks exciting!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm glad to see the focus on complete streets.  Roadways are really what provide the level of mobility and freedom we expect in a modern democracy, and focusing on a balanced inclusion of multiple modes of transportation can only increase that.