Omaha Alternatives Analysis

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Omaha Alternatives Analysis

Post by GetUrban »

I don't think most people in Omaha have been paying attention enough to know this is coming down the pike. They're gonna sheet when they realize this will effect automobile traffic on Dodge. I wish BRT luck though!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

City needs to develop an early and great marketing strategy other than cool looking bus stations, hopefully provide park and ride lots for our suburban friends. Maybe provide free ridership for a pre-determined amount of time. They really get people involved and excited about this! This is an opportunity to re-boot the way this city looks at transportation.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Why couldn't Metro start running articulated buses down Dodge now? They don't have to have super sized stop nor do they need extra paint on the streets to work. It would seam to easier to phase the new system in, kinda usurp the contra-populous. I've been noticing more "six figure" commuters using the metro through Fairacres and Dundee not so much in the Goldciast but the winds of change are here.
15-17, 26, 32
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Once upon a time we were supposed to have flying cars so we would not need buses. Alas it never panned out.
So we continue to think about transportation in ways we have become accustomed to.
Trains and busses are expensive to maintain and operate.

Perhaps we need a sky cab system. Think trolleys and zip lines with clean, fast pods that take you to your destination without even touching the ground until you are within a few blocks of your destination.

Major East to west route would run on:
State St., Fort St., Maple., Blondo, Dodge, Pacific, Center, L st., and Harrison.

North south routes would be 168th, 144th,, 108th, 90th/84th, 72nd, 50th , 20th and 13th

Now after you stop laughing think about how to pay for it. The infrastructure could be supported by our cable, and phone providers. They all have various routes along these lines to maintain anyhow. Incorporate them into the system. Advertising on the exterior and interior of various cars would also be collected. A video display in the car can run ads to the captive audience.

The repeating loop would mean no one has to think about when the next car will be past and there could be a reduced speed nighttime rotation. You are above the snow, out of the rain and don’t’ freeze your toes off waiting for the next bus.

It could be a very cool system and city’s everywhere would say why didn’t we do that.
skycab.jpg
skycab.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I don't think it would move fast enough to be used a lot. Plus even if the companies paid for the poles what about the stations? Those would be VERY expensive.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It would be less problematic for traffic...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

The stations would be elevated that would mean elevators and escalators, both are expensive. Home owners wouldn't like it too because they would view it as an eyesore.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I guess they would try to string them along commercial or industrial areas.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

There is no reason it could not come to ground level to load or unload. No elevator or escalator needed. Station cost is basically a turnstile and a key card reader. The rest of the station is to keep fools out of the loading zone. What does a city bus driver earn annually in pay and pensions? I think there would be a long term return. Up hill grades may be slower but down hill can be fast. No bus on the main line belching black smoke. The value of being on the line will increase the value of the home / business and off set any view issue.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Oh, a personal rapid transit system? I believe Morgantown, West Virginia, home to their State University, has one. Very unique and situational things though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Very odd city to have a rapid transit line but very cool! I think Omaha would need something bigger than that. Grand Island could use something like that or Fremont.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Very odd city to have a rapid transit line but very cool! I think Omaha would need something bigger than that. Grand Island could use something like that or Fremont.
It's probably more oriented to a college town environment, so like one could work in Lincoln, or around UNO.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The article doesn't give a lot of detail, but it sounds like parking minimums will be an important factor here. Anything that helps to remove mandated parking minimums I am all for.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Or they have something big in mind but don't want to give it up.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

http://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/omaha-u ... id-transit

I don't know if this has been posted yet.

The Bride
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think it is best to keep the BRT and Streetcar separate from each other or they would slow each other down. Since the plan is to make a contraflow lane on Dodge for the BRT and one on Farnam for the Streetcar I do wonder if the Streetcar will actually happen. And since the original plan, the BRT has changed and won't serve CLink or the ballpark. That probably had to do with keeping the travel time to less than 30 minutes.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

I believe the chinese have solved the problem. Omaha should just get one of these!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/world ... .html?_r=0
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Still don't understand how that works if cars decide to change lanes.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

skinzfan23 wrote:Still don't understand how that works if cars decide to change lanes.
The idea appears to be: They don't change lanes while the train is there.

I expect this to be a failure, honestly. I think cars are going to hit the legs ALL the time and drivers will freak out when they are suddenly in or out of a tunnel. It's an awesome idea, I just think people will screw it up.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Plus it's cramped it looks like only cars will fit under it.
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

BRT Open House at FNB tower over lunch, UNO Durham Center late afternoon on June 15:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wish I would have had time to go! They brought in a bus as an example.

Materials shown.
http://www.ometro.com/wp-content/upload ... ds_web.pdf
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I like the improvements to the station designs
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:I like the improvements to the station designs
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:Wish I would have had time to go! They brought in a bus as an example.

Materials shown.
[youtube][/youtube]
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I agree with you Stargayzer but you know they'll change four times by the time they build any.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

So how is traffic going to move faster on Dodge Street with BRT if the buses don't have a dedicated lane? Your gonna have these mega buses clogging up traffic lanes.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The only way it'll be faster is by stopping fewer times. Like I said in the HDR thread, it will be very underwhelming as a faster option.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

On the scale of BRT implementations this is the least you can do and try to get away with calling it BRT, but still there are these speedups compared to standard buses:

1. Pre-pay at the stop (no line to get on to pay)
2. Multi-door boarding
3. Level boarding
4. Bikes on board instead of in front
5. Westbound dedicated lane from 10th to 31st
6. Potentially Queue Jumps at 90th and/or 72nd Street
7. Less frequent stops

Standard buses would get a pretty good speed up from just starting to move once everyone is on board instead of waiting for everyone to be seated.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Dundeemaha wrote:On the scale of BRT implementations this is the least you can do and try to get away with calling it BRT, but still there are these speedups compared to standard buses:

1. Pre-pay at the stop (no line to get on to pay)
2. Multi-door boarding
3. Level boarding
4. Bikes on board instead of in front
5. Westbound dedicated lane from 10th to 31st
6. Potentially Queue Jumps at 90th and/or 72nd Street
7. Less frequent stops

Standard buses would get a pretty good speed up from just starting to move once everyone is on board instead of waiting for everyone to be seated.
Good points. Our BRT will be bare bones. I think as more people use the BRT I could see the outer lanes on Dodge between 30th and 69th become alternating bus/car lanes. Make the eastbound curb lane bus and right turn only in the morning, and the westbound curb lane bus and right turn only in the evening. Until that happens I will consider this bus not BRT, but enhanced bus.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

iamjacobm wrote:Wish I would have had time to go! They brought in a bus as an example.

Materials shown.
Another thing, the Xcelsior pictured above is just a regular old articulated bus. The bus they make specifically for BRT looks bigger and is configured more like a light rail vehicle.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

With BRT coming to dodge street this decade, I've been thinking a lot more about possible light rail routes. I visited Denver a few times and really got a good idea of how much space tracks really take up, and I don't think Dodge street would be the right place for one anymore. I came out with that Dodge street light rail map, and Bellevue light rail map a few years back and I have since revised it to exclude dodge street and 13th street as alignments. This new map will probably remind you of Denver's system. Maybe this would be the way to go? Maybe not? What are your thoughts?

And allow me to add that I only really see the Bellevue line as the one line that would ever have a slim chance of being built. I find this due to the fact that it would take people between Offutt and Eppley, with stops in Downtown and at MCC/South Omaha. And for the fact it would be almost completely aligned next to existing railroad tracks, and Fort Crook Road and Abbott Dr. are relatively wide and not flanked by dense development. As far as cost, this is the one that could end up being semi-reasonable.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Light rail? Maybe something to think about once we approach 2.5 million in the metro.

BRT makes more sense in every way.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

NEDodger wrote:Light rail? Maybe something to think about once we approach 2.5 million in the metro.

Do you think BRT could cover the entire metro? Should it?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Busguy2010 wrote:
NEDodger wrote:Light rail? Maybe something to think about once we approach 2.5 million in the metro.

No. I would do BRT along Dodge and along 72nd Street, between Sorensen Parkway and Highway 370.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NEDodger wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

No. I would do BRT along Dodge and along 72nd Street, between Sorensen Parkway and Highway 370.
I't should extend north to a new Park & Ride near N72nd & I-680. That way people could get there easier from I-680 EB & WB and far N72nd. Sorenson Park Plaza would make a good hub though, I agree.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GetUrban wrote:
NEDodger wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:

I't should extend north to a new Park & Ride near N72nd & I-680. That way people could get there easier from I-680 EB & WB and far N72nd. Sorenson Park Plaza would make a good hub though, I agree.

There is enough parking up on Sorensen Parkway and catch people heading downtown or south from the NW part of town.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha already had BRT at one time:
Attachments
20161105_125743.jpg
20161105_125743.jpg (147.22 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I saw a picture of one of these buses not all that long ago. They weren't Bus Rapid Transit, just longer buses because the ridership justified them. There are a loads of these articulated buses operating regular bus routes in LA, Chicago, and NYC today. Cool to see Omaha ever had enough ridership to need these. When these buses were running, ridership was twice what is is today and operating in half the coverage area. Amazing the polar shift this city has gone through. Were just barely starting to scratch our way back.