Leavenworth Project Benefits Bicycles

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Leavenworth Project Benefits Bicycles

Post by BRoss »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Leav ... 61526.html
WOWT wrote:In an effort to expand multimodal travel options in Omaha, the City will be improving conditions along Leavenworth Street from 31st Street to 13th Street with dedicated bicycle and shared use lanes.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great news!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This is awesome!  My wife and I live a few blocks from the western terminus, so this will make our trips downtown a lot better.  There is already a short stretch of bike lane on St. Mary's around 480 (added during recent street improvements there), but it's kind of orphaned without any other bike lanes nearby.  If the Harney bikeway will be built too, this will make midtown-downtown bike travel safer and more attractive.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Here's a kind of crude photo of the plan. I tried to find a better version but didn't look for too long.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, has anyone else read the comments in the WOWT article?  The ignorance and anger is ridiculous!

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Seth wrote:Wow, has anyone else read the comments in the WOWT article?  The ignorance and anger is ridiculous!

If people get that upset over a bike lane, imagine the rage if Omaha proposes a streetcar.  :lol:

I don't think most people in Omaha realize how difficult and (sometimes) scary it is to bike into downtown with the limited options right now. This will be the first step in fixing that.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My favorite comment was the one saying this will make downtown wither because it will be harder to drive there.  That's only been proven wrong for about the last 50 years buddy!

I think it's telling that the posters against it sound paranoid and angry, while those in favor present calm, logical comments.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nobody even drives on Leavenworth...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Nobody even drives on Leavenworth...
Exactly.  Thats my usual route in to Downtown and they don't usually need more than 2 lanes.  I think a more narrow road might actually help traffic flow because several now poeple tend to be all over the road down there.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

On a side note, does this mean that the idea of converting Leavenworth into a two way is over? I'm not sure how serious of an idea it was, but I guess it could still happen with one lane each.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

ShawJ wrote:On a side note, does this mean that the idea of converting Leavenworth into a two way is over? I'm not sure how serious of an idea it was, but I guess it could still happen with one lane each.
I believe the Park Avenue Redevelopment Study recommended a reconfiguration of the St. Mary's/Leavenworth intersection (Half the time I go through there, someone is making a turn from the wrong side of the intersection), but kept them both one-way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I really think they need to configure Leavenworth from Saddlecreek West to Elmwood Park...  Instead of 4 tight lanes, how about 2 lanes (one each way), a center turn lane and bike lanes on either side.  Same amount of room, but it would flow much better.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:I really think they need to configure Leavenworth from Saddlecreek West to Elmwood Park...  Instead of 4 tight lanes, how about 2 lanes (one each way), a center turn lane and bike lanes on either side.  Same amount of room, but it would flow much better.
Yeah, doing that from 60th to 52nd really improved Leavenworth, IMO. I'd love to see it continue to Saddle Creek.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:I really think they need to configure Leavenworth from Saddlecreek West to Elmwood Park...  Instead of 4 tight lanes, how about 2 lanes (one each way), a center turn lane and bike lanes on either side.  Same amount of room, but it would flow much better.
I agree entirely.  It would really be good to do the whole stretch of Leavenworth, but I imagine there would be concerns with traffic between 480 and Saddle Creek due to UNMC.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Seth wrote:
I agree entirely.  It would really be good to do the whole stretch of Leavenworth, but I imagine there would be concerns with traffic between 480 and Saddle Creek due to UNMC.

I think with the re-do of Saddle Creek that they are planning...eventually...that might make a difference?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

That was quick. Lanes already reconfigured and bike lanes are in place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:That was quick. Lanes already reconfigured and bike lanes are in place.
They were working on it last night about 7pm.  I forgot to post it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City opens Omaha street for cyclists
KETV wrote:Pfitzer said the city has extensive plans for more bike lanes over the next 20 years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Apparently drivers in Omaha don't know you can't drive in a bike lane.... I was standing at Urban Village for over 30 min and I watched over 100 cars driving in the bike lane...
Last edited by Brad on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:Apparently drivers in Omaha don't know you can't drive in a bike lane.... I was standing at Urban Village for over 30 min and I watched over 100 cars driving in the bike lane...
Disappointing but not at all surprising.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:Apparently drivers in Omaha don't know you can't drive in a bike lane.... I was standing at Urban Village for over 30 min and I watched over 100 cars driving in the bike lane...
The real question is: where they doing it on accident, or on purpose?  I imagine a certain amount of it now is due to unfamiliarity with the new configuration. I would hope drivers' behavior improves with time, but maybe I'm too optimistic about Omaha drivers'  attitudes towards cyclists.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
The real question is: where they doing it on accident, or on purpose?  I imagine a certain amount of it now is due to unfamiliarity with the new configuration. I would hope drivers' behavior improves with time, but maybe I'm too optimistic about Omaha drivers'  attitudes towards cyclists.
To me it looked like they just didn't know.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From This Morning... The Only 2 Bikers I got while watching over 100 cars drive in the Bike Lane...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Out of curiosity, is there an actual violation being committed by the cars?  ie, could they be ticketed for driving in the bike lane?
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Big E wrote:Out of curiosity, is there an actual violation being committed by the cars?  ie, could they be ticketed for driving in the bike lane?
Found this on the Nebraska driving manual:

"Bike lanes are for the exclusive use of bicyclists. Motor vehicles may cross over the
bike lane to move into another appropriate
travel lane, to enter or exit on-street parking
spaces, or to enter or exit private property,
but motorists are not to use the bike lanes
for continuous travel down the street"
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is also back in parking from this project.  I didn't notice any cars in the bike lane today either, hopefully it was just a case of not knowing what was up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:There is also back in parking from this project.  I didn't notice any cars in the bike lane today either, hopefully it was just a case of not knowing what was up.
I ran downtown tonight and didn't see any cars in the bike lane.   Did see two bikers!
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There is also back in parking from this project.  I didn't notice any cars in the bike lane today either, hopefully it was just a case of not knowing what was up.
I ran downtown tonight and didn't see any cars in the bike lane.   Did see two bikers!
I've gone east on Leavenworth about 10 times since installation and haven't seen a single car in the bike lane either.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I drove down the other day and found the lanes hard to see mostly because of the sun, but also because the road slops down.  Ultimately, the contrast between the old car lanes and the news ones where hard to distinguish in harsh lighting.

I can see why oblivious motorists would drive right through them.  On a related note I hope the city stays proactive with repainting the lanes.  Much of the existing bike lanes are already fading.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The sun must have really hurt your vision, the lines are pretty clear.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

No, they're not clear, especially early in the morning. The abrasions from where they removed the old striping still shows, and it's hard to distinguish them from the new markings.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Bugeater wrote:No, they're not clear, especially early in the morning. The abrasions from where they removed the old striping still shows, and it's hard to distinguish them from the new markings.
Yes, exactly.