Best way to get downtown

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mdn7319
New to the Neighborhood

Best way to get downtown

Post by mdn7319 »

I am going to be moving to Omaha and living in NW Omaha.  What is the best way to get downtown for work everyday?  What can I expect for driving times in the morning and evening?  Any info on this would be really helpful.  Thanks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would say it depends on your definition of NW Omaha.  I think some of the most under utilized roads are on the north side of town.  Sorenson Parkway is one of them.  Used it all the time when I lived up north.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ditto. Mrs Tuna and I would carpool to work often and I would take Maple through Benson and NW Radial down to Cuming Street. It was pretty fast, though I can't speak to Maple west of 680.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Exactly what part of NW Omaha?  I live about 78th and Sorensen Parkway and I can jump on Sorensen take it to North Freeway (75) and be downtown in 15 min

Currently I take 72nd to I680 and then exit at N 30th street exit --- I was surprised at how many people are exiting there and either taking  John J Pershing Drive or stay on N30 to North freeway.
mdn7319
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mdn7319 »

I will be living right around the 78th and Sorensen drive.  Do you think taking 680 and the N. 30th street exit is a little faster?  I know it will be a little bit longer, I just didnt know.  Do you take it in the morning or during rush hour?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

mdn7319 wrote:I will be living right around the 78th and Sorensen drive.  Do you think taking 680 and the N. 30th street exit is a little faster?  I know it will be a little bit longer, I just didnt know.  Do you take it in the morning or during rush hour?
If you are living off of Sorensen, I would recommend taking it down to the North Freeway versus taking I-680 to 30th Street. Like Brad said, Sorensen is under utilized and on top of that it has left turn lanes unlike most of 30th Street. Plus, I've heard 30th Street is a really busy route. The nice thing about Sorensen is that it ends right where the North Freeway starts.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
mdn7319 wrote:I will be living right around the 78th and Sorensen drive.  Do you think taking 680 and the N. 30th street exit is a little faster?  I know it will be a little bit longer, I just didnt know.  Do you take it in the morning or during rush hour?
If you are living off of Sorensen, I would recommend taking it down to the North Freeway versus taking I-680 to 30th Street. Like Brad said, Sorensen is under utilized and on top of that it has left turn lanes unlike most of 30th Street. Plus, I've heard 30th Street is a really busy route. The nice thing about Sorensen is that it ends right where the North Freeway starts.
Yeah I would take Sorenson to the North freeway also. You'll never have a problem unless there's an accident.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
mdn7319 wrote: . Like Brad said, Sorensen is under utilized and on top of that it has left turn lanes unlike most of 30th Street. Plus, I've heard 30th Street is a really busy route. The nice thing about Sorensen is that it ends right where the North Freeway starts.
Although I agree with the sorensen parkway routes I have to add that not having turning lanes on most of 30th street rarely is a problem.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

One of my clients is just off Sorensen, and when I go from there to downtown or Council Bluffs (usually noon or late afternoon) I'll take Sorensen to North Freeway. 15-20 minutes or so at most.