Omaha To Add Pedestrian Hybrid Bacon Signals

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Omaha To Add Pedestrian Hybrid Bacon Signals

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

http://omahatrails.com/index.php/area-n ... id-signals
Omaha is installing a new type of crosswalk signal designed to make pedestrian or trail crossings safer.

A Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon signal (also known as a High intensity Activated crossWalK, or HAWK beacon) is a type of traffic signal which creates a safer and more efficient environment for pedestrians to cross busy streets.

Pedestrian Hy-brid Beacon (PHB) signals replace traditional “Red/Yellow/Green” pedestrian crossing signals. PHB signals are in line with Federal standards and have been around since the late 1990s; in fact, they are already in use in many cities around the country.

The first PHB signal to be in-stalled in Omaha will be on 50th Street be-tween “G” Street and “I” Street, where the new South Omaha trail crosses 50th Street. Trail users will be able to cross 50th Street by using the PHB signal, which will help alert drivers to their presence and provide for a safe and efficient crossing.

PHB signals will continue to be considered at other locations around the City.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That will be nice.  I wondered how people were going to get across 50th Street.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If successful, one of these should go in at that Zorinsky Trail crossing on 156th St. South of F.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

There's some pictures of it in place on KETV's website: http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/New ... index.html
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I am glad to see that the city is taking pedestrian/bicyclist safety seriously at this crossing by installing necessary safety countermeasures (I wish I could say they are doing the same at virtually every other crossing in the city...).

That being said, the outcome that these safety facilities are designed to produce (motorists stopping to allow trail users to cross safely) is exactly what is supposed to happen anyway at pedestrian/bicyclist crossings like this.

It's supposed to work like this:

1. Pedestrian/bicyclist approaches crossing (marked or unmarked)
2. Motorist observes pedestrian/bicyclist approaching
3. Motorist STOPS and yields to pedestrian/bicyclist
4. Pedestrian/bicyclist crosses street safely
5. When all pedestrians/bicyclists have cleared the crossing and no more are present, motorist proceeds with caution

In actuality, what almost always happens:
1. Pedestrian/bicyclist approaches crossing (marked or unmarked)
2. Motorists ignore their presence and blast right through the crossing
3. Pedestrian/bicyclist waits until no cars are present (i.e. he/she yields to the motorists, which legally is never supposed to happen)

What unfortunately happens all too often:
1. Pedestrian/bicyclist approaches crossing and proceeds with caution knowing motorists are required to yield
2. Motorist kills pedestrian/bicyclist and suffers absolutely no legal consequences
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Do you ever stop bitching?  I can only imagine how depressing you are to be around.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Call it what you will. In the real world, I'm actually pretty good at pretending like everything is hunky dory with our society and our cities. It's just that this is a discussion forum, and, as I apparently have to constantly remind everyone, the issues I tend to come back to again and again are issues that have everything to do with the everyday life of cities: the way they function, the way people move around them, the types of environments their residents are subjected to, the amenities that are or aren't available to their residents, how safe they are, the extent to which they affirm human dignity or not, etc.

What I am so stunned by is that it is so shocking to so many people to have the pitiful failures of our society pointed out to them. It makes me wonder how often people get out of their homes (and, in that event, out of their cars), or, God forbid, out of the country to see how people in other countries live. (I know the answer: not very often, if ever)

Truly, the process of arriving at this point of such destruction, demoralization, chaos, incoherence, and degradation has been such a gradual one that contemporary Americans are quite literally blind to their own "culture" and how staggeringly un-human and absurd the existence we've created for ourselves is.

It's a normalcy bias and a status quo bias of epic proportions.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Call it what you will. In the real world, I'm actually pretty good at pretending like everything is hunky dory with our society and our cities.
Why do feel comfortable posting things on a forum but wouldn't say it person to person?  That's pretty weak.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Who said I wouldn't be comfortable saying these things person to person? I have and do.

The point is I'm not just going to walk up to someone cold on the street and start talking to them about America's failures. This, however, is a discussion forum where these topics come up constantly.

You actually just keep revealing your own weaknesses (reading comprehension in this case).
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Who said I wouldn't be comfortable saying these things person to person? I have and do.

The point is I'm not just going to walk up to someone cold on the street and start talking to them about America's failures. This, however, is a discussion forum where these topics come up constantly.

You actually just keep revealing your own weaknesses (reading comprehension in this case).
Then why did you say you live life like everything is hunky dory?  Btw you have grown a sweet mustache, Aaron.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly. Like I said: not launching into these discussions with any old person on the street = pretending everything is hunky dory.

And, once again out of nowhere, what is the point of your statement about my mustache? That you saw a picture of me and want me to know? Why? What's the point?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Linkin5 wrote:Aaron, I mustache you a question.
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Shut up. Everything is hunky dory.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Call it what you will. In the real world, I'm actually pretty good at pretending like everything is hunky dory with our society and our cities. It's just that this is a discussion forum, and, as I apparently have to constantly remind everyone, the issues I tend to come back to again and again are issues that have everything to do with the everyday life of cities: the way they function, the way people move around them, the types of environments their residents are subjected to, the amenities that are or aren't available to their residents, how safe they are, the extent to which they affirm human dignity or not, etc.

What I am so stunned by is that it is so shocking to so many people to have the pitiful failures of our society pointed out to them. It makes me wonder how often people get out of their homes (and, in that event, out of their cars), or, God forbid, out of the country to see how people in other countries live. (I know the answer: not very often, if ever)

Truly, the process of arriving at this point of such destruction, demoralization, chaos, incoherence, and degradation has been such a gradual one that contemporary Americans are quite literally blind to their own "culture" and how staggeringly un-human and absurd the existence we've created for ourselves is.

It's a normalcy bias and a status quo bias of epic proportions.
This is a development forum.  Perhaps you should check out the societal failure forums and make some friends who are like-minded.  Pretty much the only thing you're achieving here is getting into pointless arguements...unless that's your goal.  

You do not HAVE to constantly remind everyone of anything.  It seems that the crowd here is happily sliding into the pit of destiny, Five Guys Burger in hand.  Unless I am missing it no one has jumped on the "France Rules/USA Sucks" bandwagon next to you.  Is there a point at which you will simply stop reminding everyone of the ills that have been inflicted on the world by lazy stupid Americans?  

You don't like what society has become?  Got it.  To think that we're all going to follow you because you call us lazy, stupid, pitiful and ignorant?  Really?  The fact is that the state of this country is nothing compared to the great depression.  Of course, back then they didn't know about normalcy bias and status quo bias and other fun catch phrases so it wasn't as much fun.  Next month maybe you'll quote from another illuminati and more fun catch phrases.  Funny thing about catch phrases...they come from college campuses more often than not by people who have never spent time in the private sector.  

By now almost everyone on this board gets your point.  It appears that many if not most disagree with your assertions.  Do you get their point?  

How people in other countries live?  How about this: because of THIS country people live longer, eat better, and yes, enjoy a healthier lifestyle.  You don't like that lifestyle but there it is.  

You've told me what brought you to this conclusion.  I believe that there is more to it.  I also believe that you enjoy the banter.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

NovakOmaha wrote:How about this: because of THIS country people live longer, eat better, and yes, enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
Where? Certainly not here. In China? Possibly, but that's debatable. When it comes to living longer, healthier lives, Americans are their own worst enemy.

Anyway, yes I hear your point. And, really, I've never disagreed with you; I know nobody likes to hear what I have to say. It's fine. I don't like the blind optimism that a lot of people exhibit on this forum, but it's their right to feel that way (reality wins out in the end, anyway). Consequently, it's my right to have a differing opinion and to express it.

As I seemingly have to constantly keep reminding people, this is a discussion forum about urban development. While others have been conditioned to see any structure erected on the landscape as "progress" and "a good thing," I'm more inclined to point out how pathetic most of what we do in this country is. Ha, and it's even more pathetic that so few people actually realize how pathetic it is!

Anyway, you asked if there is a point at which I will simply stop reminding everyone of the ills that have been inflicted on the world by "lazy stupid Americans" (your words). I guess the answer would probably be: after I get myself and my family safely out of this country and we no longer have to deal with its pitiful built environments and horrendous culture on a daily basis. But that won't likely happen for another couple of years, and in the meantime, I'll need an outlet for my frustrations from time to time.  

Also, since I was not alive during the Great Depression, as I assume you were not (but I could be wrong), I don't think we can really make an accurate comparison between then and now. However, when I look at the history and evidence of what was accomplished during the Great Depression, the humility and dignity that Americans had, and the societal cohesion that put people back to work building infrastructure, conserving the environment, and improving peoples lives (I mean really improving their lives, not some bull-|expletive| like being able to afford an iPad or whatever), I have to say times were better then. If given the choice between then and now, ha, I'd probably go with the Depression.

If you do actually know of any good "societal failure forums," please do let me know.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Talk about beating a dead horse.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Totally, completely, 100% agree.

You meant America, right?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:How about this: because of THIS country people live longer, eat better, and yes, enjoy a healthier lifestyle.
Where? Certainly not here. In China? Possibly, but that's debatable. When it comes to living longer, healthier lives, Americans are their own worst enemy.

Anyway, yes I hear your point. And, really, I've never disagreed with you; I know nobody likes to hear what I have to say. It's fine. I don't like the blind optimism that a lot of people exhibit on this forum, but it's their right to feel that way (reality wins out in the end, anyway). Consequently, it's my right to have a differing opinion and to express it.

As I seemingly have to constantly keep reminding people, this is a discussion forum about urban development. While others have been conditioned to see any structure erected on the landscape as "progress" and "a good thing," I'm more inclined to point out how pathetic most of what we do in this country is. Ha, and it's even more pathetic that so few people actually realize how pathetic it is!

Anyway, you asked if there is a point at which I will simply stop reminding everyone of the ills that have been inflicted on the world by "lazy stupid Americans" (your words). I guess the answer would probably be: after I get myself and my family safely out of this country and we no longer have to deal with its pitiful built environments and horrendous culture on a daily basis. But that won't likely happen for another couple of years, and in the meantime, I'll need an outlet for my frustrations from time to time.  

Also, since I was not alive during the Great Depression, as I assume you were not (but I could be wrong), I don't think we can really make an accurate comparison between then and now. However, when I look at the history and evidence of what was accomplished during the Great Depression, the humility and dignity that Americans had, and the societal cohesion that put people back to work building infrastructure, conserving the environment, and improving peoples lives (I mean really improving their lives, not some bull-|expletive| like being able to afford an iPad or whatever), I have to say times were better then. If given the choice between then and now, ha, I'd probably go with the Depression.

If you do actually know of any good "societal failure forums," please do let me know.
I'll try to be brief.  The FACT is that people do live longer as a result of breakthroughs in health, food safety, and others.  Fact.  (China?  Come on)
Reality does win out in the end.  The reality is that blind optimism and blind, or for lack of a better term, created pessimism, are both flawed.
I have always said you have a right to express your opinion.  Others may wish you away.

You're excluding everything prior to your birth, with the obvious exception of Mumford.  You state that you cannot make an accurate comparison between the 1930s and now...then you do exactly that.  Ok.  Humility and dignity?  There was no dignity then.  People lost everything, were starving and had absolutely no hope.  The stock market actually crashed.  There was no societal cohesion.  Societal cohesion?  People stood in line to get a piece of bread an apple and a small bowl of soup.  People lived in tents.  And you have the temerity to say times were better THEN???  People were dyiing!  Back to work building infrastructure?  People were paid to dig ditches for the sake of digging ditches.  They built roads..the very thing you hate.  Those that did live in structures lived in substandard structures.  Where on earth did you go to school?  You are so selective in your choice of history.  

You curse the America of today.  Find someone who was alive in the 1930s and ask them which time THEY would like to live in.  THEN listen to what they have to say about life then.  Please.  Really.  Oh, and don't let the name confuse you.  The Civilian Conservation Corps clear cut forests to build roads, among other things.  I didn't read that in a book.  I listened to someone who was there.  But hey, since I wasn't alive I guess I'll have t defer to you.

In the end you do have the right to your opinion.  And I have the right to call you on it.  This latest post of yours is unreal.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I think that by "societal cohesion" and "dignity", Streets may have been referring to the fact that, if there were to be a 2012 "great depression", we would see a much different response from today's society than what we saw in the 20's/30's.

It's kind of funny, but the only mob mentality I know of, from the Great Depression, were people standing in front of gated banks demanding the money they rightfully earned. Today, what you see is a mob mentality of people demanding things they never earned, and probably never intended to work for, hence you see the ill-prepared looting stores, not even so much for necessities, but for fashionable clothes and electronics.

You can say what you want about today's society, but unless you've been in areas, on American soil, which were in economic, social or natural disaster-fueled turmoil, and saw first-hand the animalistic behavior of the people, then, you may be able to appreciate the difference between our grandparents and our generation. And if you still cannot see the difference, then it is by choice, and that is your problem.

That said, I still have to disagree with Streets, in principle, with much of what he believes in. The European system of just about anything, is definitely not something to model your own after, nor is it something any more sustainable than what we have right here at home.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

S33 wrote:I think that by "societal cohesion" and "dignity", Streets may have been referring to the fact that, if there were to be a 2012 "great depression", we would see a much different response from today's society than what we saw in the 20's/30's.
Precisely. Thank you, S33.

But I would also say there's no "if" about it; we are in the midst of societal ruin, and the response is and has been much different today than then.

Also, we may not agree on the whole Europe v. America thing, and that's fine. But you can't say that the European model is not more sustainable than that of America. The factors that have to do with sustainability are in most cases completely quantifiable, and the European system is quite simply more sustainable than the American one. I know you're probably mainly talking about fiscal issues and debt (whereas I tend to focus more on many of the intangibles of society and culture), but they're still more sustainable than us (yes, even with their dirty socialism!). I did the calculations myself recently (you just can't trust our pesky news media). America has more total debt and more debt per capita than Europe, whether compared to the EU or the Euro Zone.

Now, I'm not even saying their fiscal model is necessarily a good one; but, if you're going to say that nothing about their "model" is more sustainable than ours, it's just not true.

Now, if you want to talk about sustainable development and environmental quality (to say nothing of human rights and dignity), then, my god! They blow the United States out of the |expletive| water when it comes to sustainability.

-------------

Novak,

I will try to be brief.

Your insinuations about my knowledge of history are nothing short of insulting. I have spoken with those who were alive during the Depression. I know what the CCC was. And roads are certainly not "the very thing hate."

We are effectively blind to our own time (some more than others). Our society has been ruthlessly effective at covering up and ignoring the indignities of today, aided in no small part by the isolated, techno-world we've created for ourselves (progress!). It would certainly be interesting to do a comparison of deaths due to hunger during the Depression to all the accepted "collateral" deaths of our society today. I think you'd find that hunger deaths (we could even include all related deaths) during the Depression pale in comparison to the staggering rates of preventable deaths due to gun violence, drugs, and cars today.

Further, typing "fact" before and after a sentence has no real bearing on whether or not it is true. You're living in the days of Taylorism and Fordism, and post-WWII America where everyone was high on their own "exceptionalism." But the FACT is that industrial agriculture has proven to be an environmental and public health catastrophe and advances in medicine and technology reached levels of diminishing returns decades ago.

I know we're not going to agree, so we don't need to discuss this any further. And I do have to say, I completely respect your candor and willingness to at least approach these topics, and to do so in a (more or less) civil manner.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Totally, completely, 100% agree.

You meant America, right?
Is there an ignore button?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

When it comes to American culture and cities, the  ignore button and the ignorant button are actually one and the same, and most people push it constantly. It's the only way they can get by, day in and day out, without suffering crippling nervous breakdowns.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Every time someone posts a new post on this thread I swear I read it as "Pedestrian Hybrid Bacon Signals", which would be awesome.  Especially if you could make bacon out of pedestrians.
Stable genius.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Big E wrote:Every time someone posts a new post on this thread I swear I read it as "Pedestrian Hybrid Bacon Signals", which would be awesome.  Especially if you could make bacon out of pedestrians.
Wait...it does say Bacon Signals! hahahhaha!

I had to post this to Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ ... d_signals/
Last edited by BRoss on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Big E wrote:Every time someone posts a new post on this thread I swear I read it as "Pedestrian Hybrid Bacon Signals", which would be awesome.  Especially if you could make bacon out of pedestrians.
Wait...it does say Bacon Signals! hahahhaha!
and it wasn't my typo for once!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Weird my brain autofilled that.

That's more effort than it's used to putting in.  Time to dull this |expletive| down with some scotch.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No, I was messing with you and changed it to bacon. You don't need an excuse for scotch.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

too late

Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha, I was just going to comment on the bacon in the title. I found it strange that I didn't notice it before now. Makes sense.  :;):