Amtrak Privitization

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omadweller
Home Owners Association

Amtrak Privitization

Post by omadweller »

Privitization of Amtrak would save it; save money.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/PA712.pdf

"In 2001(the last year for which comprehensive data are available), bus fares averaged just under13 cents a passenger mile compared with justover 13 cents for airfares and 25 cents for Amtrak."
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

TL, DR

But I was just talking to a friend of mine last weekend (after an 8 hour drive to Chicago after last week's storm) and said that I would LOVE if there was a better train option between Omaha and Chicago. Right now there is one train per day in each direction, both at not the best times. They run coast to coast. It takes longer than driving and costs more than flying. Why would I choose that option? If they changed either of those things I'd take the train. Charge me $50 one way to go to Chicago and I'd be a happy camper. Still, I think if they concentrated on short runs instead of coast to coasters, they'd be better off. Who takes the train coast to coast? If they were private, they might realize this and fix it.
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

I'd rather take a bullet train instead of drive in this weather too.  If it was less money than a plane ticket, I could avoid O'Hare, and wasn't too much longer to get there than flying (keep in mind the time you spend in the airports and not in the air), then I would choose train.  Chicago's central station is in a better place to arrive at than the airports too.