Omaha Beltway Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Omaha Beltway Discussion

Post by MTO »

Omaha Beltway Discussion

I was curious to what all of you thought of this?  What do you think the possibilities of this ever being built are?
This would be an unlimited access facility (freeway not expressway).  The south west section would start at the point in W. Dodge that runs north; it would go south and connect to I-80 near Gretna.  The south corridor would continue on through the southern part of Sarpy county and meat up with the JFK and possible I-29.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Like an I-880?

I think it will be necessary at some point.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Deleted 1st post
Last edited by the1wags on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah this has been talked about on here a bit in some other threads. I agree that this will be needed at some point. Heres my take on what they should do. I took the liberty of also filling in on W Dodge becauase we all know it will be controlled access all the way out in a few years.

They need to identify the corridor between Gretna and the Chalco area ASAP though. If I were Sarpy county, Id jump all over this.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah, the1wags that is exactly what I’m talking about. I emailed a couple of people at NDOR and MAPA. The NDOR guy was a butthole that didn’t answer my question and the MAPA guy said it was talked about and to keep my eye on the next update of the long term planning maps. I just think its such a obvious necessity! I’m am very surprised that there has not been any provisions yet.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Since the topic is roads I think the North Freeway should be completed all the way up to Blair. It would do alot for urban infill with more direct access to all parts of town and serve as a better connector for commuters in northern Douglas County and Washington County. Washington County is starting to take off.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The North Freeway is done (and the last thing I want to see ruining some of the most scenic areas of the metro is more freeway) ... the 'old' MAPA plan calls for a 680 bridge across the Missouri north of the airport connecting to Storz Expressway.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They wouldn't have to tear anything old out. It could turn east on Storz and then turn north and run along the river. No old homes or neighborhoods would be taken out and it would give another part of Omaha a better chance to grow. Jeff, do you have or can you make a picture of what the MAPA plan you're talking about looks like? You've mentioned it before but I still can't picture what you're saying.
DTO
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

DTO-

Development in the north of Omaha has nothing to do with the North Frwy. The bigger problem is that MUD does not want to put pipes north of a certain point. So many have to dig wells, hence the reason that there is not a lot of development in the area. Also, is it ok if we have one part of the metro that is not strip malls, hearthstones, and parking lots?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It wouldn't have to be like west Omaha. It would be like a clean slate. But with all of the development going on at 72nd at Ames and the Vickers site it will keep pushing north. Sorenson Parkway will get crowded espacially since it's a regular street with lots of lights. You could head east on 680 but than you have to go through a bunch of neighborhoods to get through to DT. It wouldn't even take that much space up either.

I don't know what the deal is with all of the MUD stuff but Washington County was the 2nd fasted growing Metro County last year. It's much easier to access west O from Blair and I would like to see more direct access to the inner city so it's not "out of site, out of mind."
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

pkiphd

You might want to look at some of the old posts when you have time. We have had many many discussions about freeways, expressways and belt loops abound the outside of Omaha. There is a lot of good ideas in some of those posts
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

my idea on a loop

Post by Bomaha »

my idea for for a loop would be ringing around the metro connecting both parts of 680 S & N. The southern leg would run just north of platteview road, would trn north and got right through gretna, connect to 240 st (possibly farther west) and come in through washingon county and cross the river between fort calhoun and blair.

the biggest intersection would be the monstrous cross between ft crook, 75, 880 other than that it should be smooth sailing
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Ever think about how we are pry one of the only metro's in the country that would talk about the interstate system? Maybe because ours wasn't that well planned out and most of this needed to be done the first time...
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

It's called vision and most of Omaha's(and Nebraska's) leaders had none. Who would have thought the metro area would approach 1 million people? Just a state full of small towns. We don't need no stinkin loop.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

the1wags: That map is awesome! It reminds me: When I was a kid, I took an old Omaha map and drew another "680-like" loop around Omaha, very similar to your map. Yeah, I've entertained the thought of that for a long time. It is amazing that I-680 was strung around the western edge of Omaha, and now it is almost the middle of town. They are definitely going to need to build a new freeway in the future, and I'm assuming it will be a north-south loop running through the Elkhorn Valley. In many ways, I'm frustrated with Omaha's freeway systerm, as I like freeway systems lining-up clean and neat. For Omaha to be that way, a freeway would need to branch off I-680 right where I-80 meets it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way -- the freeway will run west where Dodge hits I-680. Oh well, Dodge is better then nothing.
pieces_of_u
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pieces_of_u »

i like your image....if that's the new interstate to be done that BIG BLUE LINE SOUTH OF 80 that curves into 275.....but i also want to see north omaha get some expansion and some renovation that side of town is pathetic - how about continue this loop to curve around even more to follow all the way through to connect to the 680 that heads to DES MOINES on I 29? it'd be expensive - but it'd be an awesome bypass of omaha for those that don't want to go through it at this time - and also a great round-about of omaha for further expansion...for how far omaha has spread past 680, i'm surprised nothing has been done yet to do interstate before it's too late and they'd have to tear down quite recent development :? anyways....happy trails
"we are not yet loved, entirely, until we have begun to love ourselves"
pieces_of_u
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pieces_of_u »

GRID wrote:the1wags: That map is awesome! It reminds me: When I was a kid, I took an old Omaha map and drew another "680-like" loop around Omaha, very similar to your map. Yeah, I've entertained the thought of that for a long time. It is amazing that I-680 was strung around the western edge of Omaha, and now it is almost the middle of town. They are definitely going to need to build a new freeway in the future, and I'm assuming it will be a north-south loop running through the Elkhorn Valley. In many ways, I'm frustrated with Omaha's freeway systerm, as I like freeway systems lining-up clean and neat. For Omaha to be that way, a freeway would need to branch off I-680 right where I-80 meets it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way -- the freeway will run west where Dodge hits I-680. Oh well, Dodge is better then nothing.

you know...they could always build onto that 680/80/Lstreet intersection and make an 880 intersection...though it'd be nasty and lenthy....and the interstate wouldn't go much farther out than what is needed...i think the map he drew works - though a little out there
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

What I would really like to see would be at least an expressway extending from where 680 hits 29 west of Crescent and extend that past Crescent all the way over to 80 on the northeast side of Council Bluffs and then extend that to the southeast to connect to the CB beltway that will be constructed over the next several years.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Time is really a wasting on Omaha getting another freeway loop on it's sw side. The land is quickly being chomped up for suburban development, and once that happens the chance of a new interstate-like freeway becomes about 0. Land becomes too expensive and the NIMBY forces go to work.

The metro needs an interstate bypass for truckers and true "interstate" traffic...probably across Sarpy County. Again, time is wasting. Don't count on NDOR to have any ideas in this regard. It took them like 10 years just to get work going on the one intersection of 114th and Dodge. It would take them a century to figure out a project that actually had a 20 or 25 mile length.
pieces_of_u
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pieces_of_u »

i'm betting they know they need one the way the omaha metro is growing - there will probably be zoning limits to keep the land from being built on until then to save us all :twisted:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I bet you they don't. While I'm stuck here in Neb. City one thing that bugs the heck out of me when I see it is that they are building a 20 mile long 2-lane (each way) highway to Auburn which is the fastest shrinking city in Nebraska. In the two conties it goes through there are only about 34,000 people. The other road project that upsets me off is Highway 2 to Lincoln. Most people here go to Omaha, not Lincoln, for shopping and things like that. People even wanted the road between here and Plattsmouth widened from 2 lanes to 4. But that would maek to much sense. :x

I think that (as wrong as it may sound) Omaha should grow at the expense of the rest of the state. We could do more for them if they gave us more to work with.
DTO
pieces_of_u
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pieces_of_u »

hmmm....i always thought lincoln needed a loop for its size...i mean...look @ sioux falls for example...this city is too large (lincoln) for it not to have one - and there is shopping here like malls...etc.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

pieces_of_u wrote:hmmm....i always thought lincoln needed a loop for its size...i mean...look @ sioux falls for example...this city is too large (lincoln) for it not to have one - and there is shopping here like malls...etc.
Well, soon (soon by government standards anyway) you will see the realization of your idea. A number of years ago, Lincoln approved the South and East Beltway plans. Land aquisition and final design is underway right now. The South Beltway will be constructed first, starting in 2007 if I remember correctly. The East Beltway will follow afterwards. I sure can't argue that Lincoln is behind the times on this however with action. Again, if I remember correctly, in the 70's Lincoln came up with the idea that it should build a beltway but was never acted upon.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does any one have a schematic/drawing of the complete path for the entire W. Dodge expansion, or a link? I know it mite not be called W. Dodge all the way out but I do know it is planned to be some 600miles long. Although it would be cool if they call it the Dodge Freeway.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

the1wags wrote:Yeah this has been talked about on here a bit in some other threads. I agree that this will be needed at some point. Heres my take on what they should do. I took the liberty of also filling in on W Dodge becauase we all know it will be controlled access all the way out in a few years.

They need to identify the corridor between Gretna and the Chalco area ASAP though. If I were Sarpy county, Id jump all over this.

Sorry to dig this one up, but I like this map. I wonder too often who's got their eye on this stuff... when is the right time, where will they build it, will it be too late?

Looking at the map and what I see developing out there right now, the southern loop will have to go south of Gretna unless you want to tear up the whole town. From here this is what I think should happen.

1. Hook up with Hwy 31 quickly after passing south and west of Gretna. The more I think about it, Hwy 31 is running out of time. The off ramps you'd need for Harrison, Q, Giles, etc. would need major work, and even then, houses are nearly butting up against 204th St... what are you gonna do, just tear these houses up? I don't think so.

2. Curve around Gretna and hook up with 275 quickly. However, 275 doesn't begin until you get to Center, which then heads north all the way to Fremont. What you could do here is curve south and west of Gretna like I said, use part of Hwy 31 until you can connect with 275 and wa-la!

3. What the heck are they going to do for the northwest side of the metro? I was thinking Hwy 36 running on the north side of Bennington would be prime for a north loop, which would then hook up with Blair High Road with an interchange at 680.

These are probably pipe dreams though... I don't think anyone's really pushing for an outer loop. When will we wake up.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

US HWY 275 would probably be re-routed on the visioned Sarpy County Freeway. It ends and begins at 275 anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HERE IS MY IDEA THAT I HAVE DESCRIBED IN MANY OTHER THREADS ON THIS WEBSITE

CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

That's a good map, but you can't go east of Gretna... there's houses there or in developers hands! Were you going to decimate them? I think you gotta run just west of Gretna, parelleling the river. Everything else looks golden though.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My bad, I traced the other map during that part. I said in an earlier post that the south beltway should connect out by the outlet malls somewhere.

Greg S
City Council

Beltway in the World Herald

Post by Greg S »

Here's something we bring up from time to time on this board. Very early discussions on a new beltway for the Metro.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1489790

Greg
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see the Iowa side like that. Hopefully the study will go forward and a decision will be made based on their findings.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

A beltway is an awful idea for Omaha. We do not have a traffic problem here to justify a project that could cost $400-$500 million. With the rising cost of gas, there are better alternatives than catering to each individual driver of an automobile. Our rush hour only lasts 15 minutes a day, if you leave work at 5:15, you can cruise home without getting stuck in traffic. A better use of that money would be to create a better transit alternative. Although it is not the right time in Omaha for Light Rail, 15-20 years down the road it may be, and that is a far better use of money. Building roads just to build roads is dumb. Look at the stretch of I-680 in Iowa between I-80 and I-29, that thing has to be one of the dumbest things ever to be built... there is never any traffic on it besides a handful of cars. A beltway would have the same problem. Whoever is supporting this should be voted out of office during the next election.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Wow, I never would've expected to see an article like this. Nor a view as comprehensive out of the gate to include the Iowa side. The countdown begins to the results of this study.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Here's to more orderly sprawl and traffic congestion!

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If you look at right now how long it takes to get to the interstate to go downtwon from Elkhorn, you see the need. I knew the pro light rail crowd would hate this.

I love the idea of a light rail in Omaha, just not sure if we will ever get that big. What's the smallest city that has recently comleted a light rail system?

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I think the idea of BEGINING the plan for another loop is right on. I only wish the city fathers of the 60's & 70's would have had the cajones to build the west expressway.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Greg S wrote:If you look at right now how long it takes to get to the interstate to go downtwon from Elkhorn, you see the need. I knew the pro light rail crowd would hate this.

I love the idea of a light rail in Omaha, just not sure if we will ever get that big. What's the smallest city that has recently comleted a light rail system?

Greg
We need more than just light rail... streetcars, BRT lines, commuter rail, a more effective bus system. Basically, less of a dependance on the automobile is what I am talking about. Houston has two loops and everything that gets developed around them is |expletive|. What happens if/when they build this beltway and then gas goes up to $10 a gallon since there is very little of it remaining? Nobody is going to want to drive anywhere because of the high costs of getting around. Then we will have a million of miles of unused asphalt and concrete laying around for no good reason. I would rather spend the heaps of money on public works projects like libraries, courthouses, parks, etc than blowing it on a project that we don't/won't need in the future.

And we still don't have a traffic problem to justify it. You can get anywhere in the city in a half hour very easily with time to spare. 10-15 years down the road we won't need this thing either.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

If cars are still running on gas by the time there if very little of it and it costs $10 a gallon, we will have bigger problems than a beltway around Omaha.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I'll just break out my hoverboard.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

YES YES YES YES YES OH YES.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mrgreen: :!: :wink: :P :lol: :shock: :o :D :)

quite peculiar path tho
15-17, 26, 32