Official: Omaha Beltway Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Uffda
Planning Board

Re: Official: Omaha Beltway Discussion

Postby Uffda » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:26 am

Need to get this thread back on track but look up stats for free and reduced lunch for those school districts and OPS.

Also glad to see you agree that that union doesn't have the school board in its back pocket. :D also it has been my experience over the past 35 years, that people give Ed unions a lot more power and influence than they in reality have.

As to a Beltway --- I don't feel there is a need for one. I live inside I-680 in the NW part and there isn't a lot of traffic using this route until you get past Maple. Also my feeling is if you build beltway you start bypassing the city where you want people to stop and spend money.
Last edited by Uffda on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:35 am

Uffda wrote:Need to get this thread back on track but look up stats for free and reduced lunch for those school districts and OPS.

Also glad to see you agree that that union doesn't have the school board in its back pocket. :D also it has been my experience over the past 35 years, that people give Ed unions a lot more power and influence than they in reality have.

As to a Beltway --- I don't feel there is a need for one. I leave inside I-680 in the NW part and there isn't a lot of traffic using this route until you get past Maple. Also my feeling is if you build beltway you start bypassing the city where you want people to stop and spend money.

Good point. However, even if we did end up with a beltway, that doesn't mean businesses won't locate around it and have passers-by stop there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm

But isn't that pulling out from the core. Also expanding means more infrastructure and Omaha si having problems paying for what it has now.

Busguy2010
Human Relations

Postby Busguy2010 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 pm

I still think the southern portion and the portion between I-680 and HWY 133 would be useful.

I could also see people using the portion from HWY 275 to I-80, though I think we would need A LOT more population north of Dodge before that would happen.

I don't see the portion west of HWY 133 and north of HWY 275 ever being built.

mcarch
Library Board

Postby mcarch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't see how the beltway would spur sprawl? I do see how gas stations, and maybe some shops would locate out there for Semi's, that wouldn't be using I-80. Maybe some industrial. With most of the land west of 275 being flood plain not much can be built out there... with the exception of expensive lake developments. A different story in Sarpy county of course, which might increase in sprawl, but the Springfield-Platteview School district stops that development. You can see this example by how Papillion is growing, and where development stops in Shadow Lake. The SE portion is the Springfield-Platteview School District. The same goes for 84th & Schram where there was an article on paving a 1/2 mile of street.

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:18 am

mcarch wrote:I don't see how the beltway would spur sprawl? I do see how gas stations, and maybe some shops would locate out there for Semi's, that wouldn't be using I-80. Maybe some industrial. With most of the land west of 275 being flood plain not much can be built out there... with the exception of expensive lake developments. A different story in Sarpy county of course, which might increase in sprawl, but the Springfield-Platteview School district stops that development. You can see this example by how Papillion is growing, and where development stops in Shadow Lake. The SE portion is the Springfield-Platteview School District. The same goes for 84th & Schram where there was an article on paving a 1/2 mile of street.

How is it that the Springfield-Platteview School district stops development?

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:09 am

mcarch wrote:I don't see how the beltway would spur sprawl? I do see how gas stations, and maybe some shops would locate out there for Semi's, that wouldn't be using I-80. Maybe some industrial. With most of the land west of 275 being flood plain not much can be built out there... with the exception of expensive lake developments. A different story in Sarpy county of course, which might increase in sprawl, but the Springfield-Platteview School district stops that development. You can see this example by how Papillion is growing, and where development stops in Shadow Lake. The SE portion is the Springfield-Platteview School District. The same goes for 84th & Schram where there was an article on paving a 1/2 mile of street.

It'll pull growth and resources away from the other parts of the city that need them. It's not all about downtown, midtown et al. There are streets all over that are riddled with potholes, parks that need to be maintained better, and former strip malls built in the 70's and 80's that are decaying and either need to be demolished or refurbished. A beltway would keep those things from happening. We need to focus on keep what we already have in good shape.

I've mentioned it before, but there are major streets on the periphery that don't have a ton of development around them which could be repurposed into limited-access highways a la West Dodge or 370.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Return to “Transportation”