Kennedy Freeway/Highway 75 Construction Timeline?

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Zephyr
Human Relations

Kennedy Freeway/Highway 75 Construction Timeline?

Post by Zephyr »

Does anyone know what year the Kennedy Freeway had its groundbreaking? I found out that it was completed in September of 1994 and I remember that it took a few years to finish (it seems to me that it took longer than expected), so I am thinking 1990 at the latest.  I wasn't driving yet at that time, so my memory gets really fuzzy with the status of road construction projects "back then."  I know that Highway 75 was completed as far south as about the county line (just south of Q Street) and then the Kennedy Freeway segment opened many years after that to south of Capehart Road.

I am working on an idea for a very small commuter rail service for Bellevue on my model railroad layout.  My thought is that they started a demonstration line in concert with the highway construction to help relieve rush hour congestion. Now that the freeway is done, they decide to continue operating the service and in my 1998-ish era, it is being extended to Papillion.

Thanks for your help with this!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looking at google earth, construction was well under way in March of 1990.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Ah yes, Google Earth; should have thought of that!  I am surprised that there wasn't a photo earlier than March 1990, but that definitely helps.  I figure that the real congestion wouldn't be a problem until the construction progresses more with the connection at Railroad Ave, so I will plan for a start by 1990 and that should be pretty safe.  That helps place the timeline for my motive power...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I thought the Kennedy Freeway (not in its present configuration) was around well before 1990?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:I thought the Kennedy Freeway (not in its present configuration) was around well before 1990?
I am not sure how all the naming works, but as far as pavement construction, the old part went just south of Q street before it dumped on the Railroad Ave north of the county line.  I think Eric was asking about the area south of that towards Bellevue.