North Downtown access to I-680

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

North Downtown access to I-680

Post by Coyote »

With what looks like 750 parking stalls being created for the Shamrock development creating more cars trying to access I-680 from (given a 12th St exit around what would have been Davenport) a downtown event at 12th and Cass, will they make most of the northern traffic access I-680 from Cuming, will they create a third lane at 13th & Cass onto the interstate access? Or will this not be a problem ready to be solved?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I think you're off by 200 on the interstate :;):

Anyways, I don't think adding a third lane from Cass would be a good idea. The second lane already drops off before the next entrance. Adding a third would just complicate the configuration. The only option without a huge change is to make the most out of the Cuming exit. They could perhaps add an additional lane going on there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was thinking of creating a second lane merging into I-680. Here is a map to consider alternatives:

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I'm not sure if I entirely understand. Do you mean another lane drop or having the second go through and have the third drop off like the second currently does? In the case of the latter, that could cause issues with traffic trying to get to southbound I-480 from the 17th street entrance. Traffic would have to merge over two lane before the North Freeway exit, plus one more before the 30th street exit.