Rulo Bridge

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Rulo Bridge

Post by Coyote »

Span of historic Rulo bridge destroyed
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:RULO — As hundreds of spectators watched, part of the historic Rulo bridge imploded and plunged into the icy waters of the Missouri River on Sunday morning.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Rulo Bridge

Post by bigredmed »

Anyone know how they get these bridges back out of the river?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:Anyone know how they get these bridges back out of the river?
I always wondered that myself after they blew up the South Omaha Bridge. I wonder if they use a large magnet or something. May be sonar as well? No way the EPA or Fish and Whildlife people would be happy unless its 100% gone?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

They would have to cut it up and pull it out in pieces. I can't imagine that it would be possible to cut it up under 30 feet of rapidly flowing Missouri river. I wonder if they have welders cut strategically while it is still in the air, and rely on the fall and impact to break it into removeable pieces. You would think that given the location on the river (Rulo) and the tendency for that stretch to flood with spring runoff from the Platte and Nishnabotna, and the start of the navigation season coming in April, that they would have to start clearing it right away. Which would make for very cold conditions for divers having to cut that apart.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's true because the South Omaha bridge still appeared to be in tact when it hit the water?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Now that would NOT be a fun job pulling all of that steel out of the icy current. I doubt it is 30 feet deep though. I had heard somewhere in the past that the navigation channel is only guaranteed up to 9' deep....although that obviously varies.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks to be just under 4' right now:
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=ruln1

Flood stage is 26'

Omaha is currently at 8'
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=omhn1

Blair is currently at 8'
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=blan1
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Even so, that would suck hard to be the guy who had to go under and cut that thing apart. I bet they do pre detonation cuts to release the steel, then as part of the explosives that cut it free from the supports, there are other charges that cut it into sections. Once it hits the water and the bottom, all the partially cut pieces break and then they can boat out to the sections and attach cables to it to pull it out onto the shore.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote, I just put 2 and 2 together that this is the bridge we drove by on the way to Pawnee City. We talked about how it looked like they were removing concrete. I think we should have stopped for photos...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Coyote, I just put 2 and 2 together that this is the bridge we drove by on the way to Pawnee City.  We talked about how it looked like they were removing concrete.  I think we should have stopped for photos...
Didn't we stop to take pictures of the new bridge? Or was that a different bridge north of that one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Coyote, I just put 2 and 2 together that this is the bridge we drove by on the way to Pawnee City.  We talked about how it looked like they were removing concrete.  I think we should have stopped for photos...
Didn't we stop to take pictures of the new bridge? Or was that a different bridge north of that one.
Nope, that was the new Railroad bridge at Plattsmouth.