rubbernecking

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

rubbernecking

Post by RNcyanide »

If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Meeting to address widening of I-680

Post by jessep28 »

RNcyanide wrote:If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
It's state law that you have to move over or slow down for police and construction equipment .
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If rubbernecking were an Olympic event, the fine motorists of Omaha, Nebraska would all be gold medalists. Every time there is equipment operating off to the side of the interstate, everyone has to slow down. Then speed back up after they pass. I'm taking the streets in the morning now.
It's state law that you have to move over or slow down for police and construction equipment .
Of course. But coming to a near halt?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.

My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes". That's right... that's the YORK exit.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Stargazer wrote:Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.

My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes".  That's right... that's the YORK exit.
That happens all the time on 480 heading south out of downtown towards I-80. Sometimes I think those signs are more of a pain. They really aren't too accurate either. A lot of times the accident is cleared up by the time you get near the mentioned area. I think maybe they should use them a little more like the ones Milwaukee has had for decades.
Similar to this:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Stargazer wrote:Most of these drivers don't even realize what it is until they're on top of it... forget construction equipment... they all come to a halt for any abandoned car parked on the shoulder.

My favorite will always be when I was driving EB West Dodge during the morning rush... traffic coming to a standstill, all the way back to 168th... it wasn't until I approached the expressway bridge when I saw the cause... everyone slowing down to read something displayed on the message board... it was like: "Accident I-80 Exit 353, Consider Alternate Rtes".  That's right... that's the YORK exit.
My thoughts exactly. Accident on the shoulder, someone pulled over by the police, an abandonded car, construction a distance a way from the road, literally anything that isn't usually there.

The Bride
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I'd argue this happens everywhere and is not just an Omaha thing (at least from my travels).

Relevant video:

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]