Uber Omaha

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Uber Omaha

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.siliconprairienews.com/2014/ ... g-to-omaha
It looks like Uber, the black car service you can reserve from your smartphone, may be coming to Omaha.

While Omaha isn't listed on the official site yet, an @Uber_Omaha Twitter account appeared on Friday. The description mimics that of the @Uber_Indy and appears to be run by the same person.

The wildly popular service has made waves in the transportation industry in New York City, San Francisco and other major cities.

Silicon Prairie News reached out to Uber officials for confirmation and more information, but has not yet received an official comment.
lmdramos
Library Board

Re: Uber Omaha

Post by lmdramos »

If this is true I would be so happy!!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

After being told the wait for a cab would be an hour and a half on Saturday night, Uber coming to Omaha would be amazing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Really??? That would Be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

We use Uber whenever we got to DC. Its Awesome!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Doesn't look promising.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140408/M ... se-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nay one ever catch a cab on 10th & Farnam?

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Nay one ever catch a cab on 10th & Farnam?

According to the OMBA news letter, this "cab zone" is new.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lyft “exploring” Kansas City, Omaha for its rideshare service
Silicon Prairie a News wrote:Lyft, the ridesharing service with the pink mustaches on cars, appears to be sniffing out the Omaha and Kansas City markets. Facebook and Craiglist ads for drivers have popped up in recent weeks and now Lyft employees are working out of Think Big Coworking in Kansas City.

Lyft officials so far are mum on the markets, saying they are only "exploring" Kansas City, and testing ads in Omaha and 20 other cities where Lyft isn't operating but interested in exploring. The news comes on the heels of an Omaha Uber Twitter account appearing earlier this month. Uber has not officially announced plans for Omaha.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Looks like Uber may be coming to Omaha soon after all.

At the Omar building parking lot today during the AirBnb meetup, all of the nice looking cars in the lot had this on their window:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They have been advertising that on Craigslist for a few weeks now. I don't know if it a sign of their coming, or just testing the market. I think it has something to do with putting a pink mustache on your cars grill...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well now, this is something else:

Ride services Uber, Lyft told to cease and desist

Adrian Whitsett, KETV wrote: Public Service Commissioner Anne Boyle said Uber and Lyft don’t have the authority to operate in the state.

“We will cite the drivers and we will impound their car,” Boyle said. “They are providing a transportation service for a fee. That is against the law in Nebraska unless you come before the commission.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It would be nice if we would stop chasing away progress in this state...I have ridden with Uber and have taken cabs. I have felt vastly safer in Uber.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uber cars/drivers should already have the the proper permits. They are car service drivers making extra money when they don't have a customer.

I agree Jacob. We haven't taken a cab in DC since we learned about Uber.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

UberBlack, Taxi, SUV would have the proper permits but I don't think UberX does. However, they don't need it because they are technically a rideshare service and not a taxi service. That being said, I wish the government would get rid of this small town mentality and let these companies come to Omaha and help make it into the metropolitan city it is trying to become.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Lyft will have representatives in Omaha on Thursday. Not sure how the recent news will mess with things, but it sounds like they want to launch really soon in the metro. I've heard that they launched in St. Louis despite a cease and desist. Maybe someone more familiar can confirm that.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I'm pretty sure both Uber and Lyft want to launch quickly. My guess would before the College World Series. Lyft has been very active in discussions and Uber has said they are looking for drivers to "Launch Omaha" while gauging interest in Lincoln. Also, from reading the comments on all of the news stories, it is pretty clear people want theses services, are tired of the taxi monopoly in Omaha, and want to the government to stop stifling these companies.
Last edited by lmdramos on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

lmdramos wrote:I'm pretty sure both Uber and Lyft want to launch quickly. My guess would before the College World Series. Lyft has been very active in discussions and Uber has said they are looking for drivers to "Launch Omaha" while gauging interest in Lincoln. Also, for reading the comments on all of the news stories, it is pretty clear people want theses services, are tired of the taxi monopoly in Omaha, and want to the government to stop stifling these companies.
Heck they probably want it before the BH meeting and Big Omaha. Those are events full of people that would use the service too.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

iamjacobm wrote:
lmdramos wrote:I'm pretty sure both Uber and Lyft want to launch quickly. My guess would before the College World Series. Lyft has been very active in discussions and Uber has said they are looking for drivers to "Launch Omaha" while gauging interest in Lincoln. Also, for reading the comments on all of the news stories, it is pretty clear people want theses services, are tired of the taxi monopoly in Omaha, and want to the government to stop stifling these companies.
Heck they probably want it before the BH meeting and Big Omaha. Those are events full of people that would use the service too.
I was told next week, but that might not be entirely accurate.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Here is an article breaking down UberX's insurance and safety checks. It clearly shows that the stunt the Nebraska PSC is pulling about public safety is total BS. Also of note, Uber has added a $1 safety fee to all UberX rides...presumably to cover insurance.

http://www.siliconprairienews.com/2014/ ... ontent=api" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

lmdramos wrote:UberBlack, Taxi, SUV would have the proper permits but I don't think UberX does. However, they don't need it because they are technically a rideshare service and not a taxi service. That being said, I wish the government would get rid of this small town mentality and let these companies come to Omaha and help make it into the metropolitan city it is trying to become.
Actually this is pretty "big city" of Omaha. Most cities have monopolistic or duopolistic taxi industries which erect roadblocks to these services. It has nothing to do with safety, it's about control mainly, and to a lesser degree taking care of established players in the industry. We're lucky the car was invented a long time ago or we'd all still be riding horse drawn carriages.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Also, here is a link comparing Lyft safety requirement compared to St. Louis taxi cabs.

http://www.scribd.com/embeds/219603449/ ... tions=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Proposed 5% hike in cab fares meets reluctant state transportation official
Barbara Soderlin: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Per-mile rates would rise approximately 5 percent in both Omaha and Lincoln for cabs under the Yellow, Checker, Cornhusker, Safeway and Happy Cab names.

Separately Tuesday, the commission discussed concerns about online ride services Uber and Lyft possibly launching operations in Nebraska.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I can almost assure you that both Uber and Lyft will be launching very soon. I received calls from both companies public relations teams telling me about how they are going to launch in Omaha and would like help promoting it and drumming up support for their companies. At the same time, they would like to call into question Sothert, the Omaha city council, and the Nebraska PSC for their actions so far on the matter.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 8.48.58 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 8.48.58 PM.jpg (249.41 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Rides start tonight!

Lyft to launch in Omaha, Lincoln today; regulators say it's illegal for now in Nebraska
Lyft plans to launch tonight in Omaha and Lincoln, offering free rides for two weeks to new users and setting up a legal battle on city streets.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:popcorn:
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Lyft followed through. Looks like it's Uber's turn now!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really really hope the police have better things to do than run down these pink mustaches this weekend.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

They just updated that article. Looks like police won't ticket drivers while the service is free for these first 2 weeks but when they start charging they will "go out onto the streets and try to pick them up and cite the driver and impound the car".
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

These services are encountering the same issues in KC.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

So safety (insurance, etc.) is not an issue unless they charge us money for a ride? Strange how it's OK for people to use the service if it's free. Only when they start cutting into the cabbie's profit does it become an issue, apparently.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha chamber president urges ‘proactive solution’ on Lyft, Uber
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce president on Wednesday asked state regulators to “find a proactive solution” that would allow transportation services like Lyft and Uber to operate in the metro area.

“Expansion of transportation choices is a key part of our effort to grow and diversify the metro population and workforce,” chamber President David Brown wrote in a letter to members of the Nebraska Public Service Commission.

By Wednesday afternoon, representatives of the commission and the chamber were arranging to meet next week.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard his letter read in its entirety on the radio earlier today and it was spot on.

I can't seem to find it anywhere right now.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Drivers flood Minneapolis City Hall for Lyft, Uber hearing

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 60981.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Uber X launched in Omaha today!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

lmdramos wrote:Uber X launched in Omaha today!
:popcorn:
And the over under for vehicles detained is...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UberX launches in Omaha despite legal scrutiny, potential for tickets
Silicon Prairie News wrote:Ride costs begin at a 50 cent base fare, in addition to $0.45 per minute and $1.65 per mile. The service also tacks on a $1 "safe ride" fee that goes toward expenses like insurance and background checks. For instance, the five-mile ride from Omaha Eppley Airport to the downtown Old Market would be about $14.25.

Lyft, which begins charging for rides Thursday after its two week free trial, will likely face up to $500 fines and vehicle impoundment, according to PSC rules. If uberX is charging, they also will face tickets.

Omaha and Lincoln police have promised tickets to drivers taking money for the illegally operating rideshare services. Officer Michael Pecha, a spokesperson for the department, says the Omaha Police will enforce the city's law.

"I do not have any other information right now about if we are going to actively pursue these operations, or if we will only respond to complaints," Pecha said.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

For instance, the five-mile ride from Omaha Eppley Airport to the downtown Old Market would be about $14.25.
Uh, that sounds a bit high to me. I thought these car services were supposed to be cheaper than a taxi.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We use Uber in DC so we already had the app on our phone. We looked last night when we were in the old market and there were two Uber cars in Downtown.

I don't know that they much cheaper, they are way more convenient.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KETV is reporting that Andy Pollock a lobbyist for Happy Cab, sent emails out trying to ruin the reputation of Lyft.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What ever happened to the Uber/Lyft controversy? Was it resolved? Are they operating?