Idea For 132nd and Giles Reroute

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Idea For 132nd and Giles Reroute

Post by mrsticka »

I've had this idea for a few years now. I've thought long and hard about it. Reroute 132nd in a manner similar to the way Harrison was in the early 90's.

What do you think of this? There probably isn't enough traffic in the area to warrant a project like this, but I just wanted to give it a shot. The dark grayer spots on the roads are meant to be bridges/overpasses. I know it looks like Giles is a dead end at I-80 at the west side and I apologize for that, but it isn't. It turns northwards up to 132nd with a small bridge over the creek.

NOTE: I had to reupload this because some people were having trouble accessing it. I apologize.
Last edited by mrsticka on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Re: Idea For 132nd and Giles Reroute

Post by schumatt »

Not sure what image hosting provider you used for that, but after I clicked the link, I clicked the picture again to try and make it larger. Instead I got a very NSFW popup ad. Not cool.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Well, that's very strange. I don't know what to tell you. You shouldn't be getting that message. The image is perfectly safe.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Ya, the image is obviously fine... just don't click anywhere once you're viewing it, I guess. :?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

schumatt wrote:Ya, the image is obviously fine... just don't click anywhere once you're viewing it, I guess.  :?
\

I can't reproduce what you're seeing either. You may want to scan your computer with Malwarebytes in case you have something on your computer redirecting you to a malicious image.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

jessep28 wrote:
schumatt wrote:Ya, the image is obviously fine... just don't click anywhere once you're viewing it, I guess.  :?
\

I can't reproduce what you're seeing either. You may want to scan your computer with Malwarebytes in case you have something on your computer redirecting you to a malicious image.
My computer is just fine. I have no trouble accessing the image. I'm sorry you guys are having difficulty with it. If you want, I can reupload it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I meant that I couldn't reproduce the malicious image that schumatt was reporting. I can see the picture just fine.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Oh, okay. Well, I never got that warning on my computer. I've reuploaded the image and it should be perfectly safe this time.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

May want to pull it - I got an ad for wind energy. When I X'd out of it, a pop-up ad for um...."live chat" popped up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The design for that intersection is done, they are waiting on financing to get it done.

It doesn't look anything like that.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Quickest Thread derailment ever?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:The design for that intersection is done, they are waiting on financing to get it done.

It doesn't look anything like that.
What is it going to look like?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:What is it going to look like?
Like a sweeping "S" curve that starts back by Cabella's more, goes up and over the Railroad Tracks and then over the creek before coming back down and lining up with the existing Giles and going under the interstate. Giles will essentially be a "Straight Shot" and 132 will tie in to it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:What is it going to look like?
Like a sweeping "S" curve that starts back by Cabella's more, goes up and over the Railroad Tracks and then over the creek before coming back down and lining up with the existing Giles and going under the interstate.  Giles will essentially be a "Straight Shot" and 132 will tie in to it.
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but, but regarding the railroad tracks, I think that quiet "no horn" zone LaVista installed on some of those BNSF crossings was a complete waste of money. People complaining about train noise should spend some time in downtown Council Bluffs. Things seem to be just fine there.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I'd always pictured 132nd being the uninterrupted street in that area. Especially now that Werner Park is near there. Guess I was wrong again.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I'm not sure of the actual plans either but stopping Giles as in the pic above is a non-starter. East west traffic is the primary mostly around here.

I also got a popup for wind energy and then something that was completely blocked after. Lets hope I dont have to explain to anyone what the heck it was I was trying to do!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I live up the hill on 132nd from this intersection. I've come to love it for all its weirdness.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

cdub wrote:I'm not sure of the actual plans either but stopping Giles as in the pic above is a non-starter.  East west traffic is the primary mostly around here.
It is? I didn't know that.

As for that annoying wind energy ad, just close it. I don't know why it keeps popping up like that. If it were up to me, it wouldn't.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am surprised you would even think about cutting off Giles road going west, there is a lot of traffic on that corner. A lot.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I'm surprised it even does seeing as how it's mostly industrialized.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I use it to go from Werner Park to 156th St. North. I beats the interstate by 30 or more minutes after a game.
Right now it is an easy route away from crowded E/W streets, once you pass 144th there is really no traffic.
There is a neighborhood to the south of Giles between 132nd and 144th.
How are they easily to go east under this plan?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:I use it to go from Werner Park to 156th St. North. I beats the interstate by 30 or more minutes after a game.
Right now it is an easy route away from crowded E/W streets, once you pass 144th there is really no traffic.
There is a neighborhood to the south of Giles between 132nd and 144th.
How are they easily to go east under this plan?
If you look carefully, you'll see that Giles ISN'T cut off. It takes a left turn towards the north up to 132nd.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote: If you look carefully, you'll see that Giles ISN'T cut off.  It takes a left turn towards the north up to 132nd.
I saw that. I can read.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

They are beginning phase 1 of this project starting July 17th according to the signs...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Kw&cad=rja

is what I found online for the project
What's simple is true...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Oh, I like that plan. Thanks for posting!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's the design I was referring in the post from 3 years ago. That's going to be so much better when its all done!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (163.28 KiB) Viewed 7577 times
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

The intersection is 3/4ths open, except for Giles west of the intersection. The SE quadrant was untouched--no new bridge over the Pap--is that for next year?

That said, the simple fact that the two Ts are spread out--and signaled--and three-laned will help out a ton.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

damonhynes wrote:The intersection is 3/4ths open, except for Giles west of the intersection. The SE quadrant was untouched--no new bridge over the Pap--is that for next year?

That said, the simple fact that the two Ts are spread out--and signaled--and three-laned will help out a ton.
I’ll have to look it up later, but I’m pretty sure the new bridge is at least a few years out. I’m thinking around five years perhaps.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Does anyone know when this road will be open? I thought when they closed it last summer it was a 45 day project and as of last night it was still closed. Add in 156th and Harrison being closed, 168th from Harrison to Giles being closed and 184th and Giles with Damaged Road signs up it is a pain to get around.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Trips wrote:Does anyone know when this road will be open? I thought when they closed it last summer it was a 45 day project and as of last night it was still closed. Add in 156th and Harrison being closed, 168th from Harrison to Giles being closed and 184th and Giles with Damaged Road signs up it is a pain to get around.
They're resuming work on the section of Giles west of 132nd, barring too much rain I'd give it early to mid May. The new alignment of Giles east, including the Pap bridge, prolly fall.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm soooooo glad to see this. That quirky, odd intersection is fine when there is rock roads and beanfields around it. But, with new suburbia & shopping spilling into that long overdue developed area (including a sparkling new Costco), that intersection needs to go -- and be redesigned. So glad it is.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

KMTV 3 must have been thinking the same thing. They posted a story 2 hours agohttps://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... -and-giles

Started July 17th, 2017 scheduled to complete October 1st, 2017.
Revised completion date - Halloween
Second revised completion date - Thanksgiving
Now scheduled for "about a month's worth of work left" "Currently, the project is three weeks behind"

Contractor is TAB Construction. This is the same company that was to doing some grading, box covert and rocking Giles from 192nd to 198th. If I remember correctly it was scheduled for 45 days and ended up taking 9 or 10 months.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Trips wrote:KMTV 3 must have been thinking the same thing. They posted a story 2 hours agohttps://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... -and-giles

Started July 17th, 2017 scheduled to complete October 1st, 2017.
Revised completion date - Halloween
Second revised completion date - Thanksgiving
Now scheduled for "about a month's worth of work left" "Currently, the project is three weeks behind"

Contractor is TAB Construction. This is the same company that was to doing some grading, box covert and rocking Giles from 192nd to 198th. If I remember correctly it was scheduled for 45 days and ended up taking 9 or 10 months.
It's gonna be so much nicer (and normal) when it's done. Seriously, though, I wish they would just plow 132nd St thru Old Town Millard, and continue the tradition of 132nd St being a major corridor in Omaha. Those new, blooming South Millard suburbs deserve a good connection. Right now, it is so confusing over there. From 84th to 144th there is no solid N-S connection from the Cornhusker Highway (even 108th ends at Giles). My perfectionist side to city layout & design (wanting a perfect Phoenix grid) finds that irritating. Oh well... Omaha is not Phoenix.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

When I first posted that picture 4 years ago, I was genuinely unaware about east/west traffic being more prevalent in that area. I mean, Werner Park is just south of there so I'd think north/south traffic would be. But obviously, such is not the case.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It's just so confusing over there between Harrison, Giles, the interstate, and those other streets coming & curving together at staggered, offset connections. Funny, driving it, feeling turned around, and needing to look at an overhead map on my phone, I'm like "What the heck?!?" But, when I look at the overhead map, they look laid-out smoother & nicer & more logical than they seem when you're navigating through the area, imo.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:43 am It's just so confusing over there between Harrison, Giles, the interstate, and those other streets coming & curving together at staggered, offset connections. Funny, driving it, feeling turned around, and needing to look at an overhead map on my phone, I'm like "What the heck?!?" But, when I look at the overhead map, they look laid-out smoother & nicer & more logical than they seem when you're navigating through the area, imo.
It sure is.

But here's another idea for that area since most on here didn't like my other one. They thought I cut off Giles, which I didn't. Here, I've rerouted it slightly southwest a few feet from where it actually is. I also made Chandler Road perfectly straight. Yes, I realize I erased some buildings. I didn't want to, but I had to in order to demonstrate how I think Chandler Road should've been built. I think this would've been a nice alternative. As you can see, I have an untouched shot of the map on the top. I did that in case anyone here wanted to make their own version of how they think the area should be done.

Or this since apparently east-west traffic is more prevalent in the area? At least that's what I've been told. At least here, I didn't have to erase any buildings. Just a parking lot. Maybe this should've been the way to go?

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love those! Seriously, you did a good job. They look so smooth & perfect for traffic flow. I wish you could submit that to Omaha. Why cant they design it like that? What the heck? Why is 132nd a major smooth & wide thoroughfare in West Omaha, then all of a sudden, you get to Millard, and confusion & sidetracking suddenly reigns? Then, let me guess: It will pick back up as a major N-S smooth & wide thoroughfare in Sarpy County as it builds up through the future years. Annoying that Old Town Millard and I-80 and a creek colliding right there disrupts that main N-S thoroughfare.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Thanks. I mean, they did it with Harrison. So why couldn't they have done that with 132nd? I wish I could submit it to the city, too. But unfortunately, I know they'll turn it down without giving it a second thought.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:43 am It's just so confusing over there between Harrison, Giles, the interstate, and those other streets coming & curving together at staggered, offset connections. Funny, driving it, feeling turned around, and needing to look at an overhead map on my phone, I'm like "What the heck?!?" But, when I look at the overhead map, they look laid-out smoother & nicer & more logical than they seem when you're navigating through the area, imo.
You think that's confusing, try to drive around Atlanta...