Street Widening

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Street Widening

Post by RockHarbor »

ZaEry wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I have a Omaha master plan map that has color-coated strips on all the roads, showing what they plan to do. Yes, from that map, I knew that 180th & 144th were planned to be major 6-lane N-S roads eventually (and you can sense that on 144th, the sides & center medians are so unbelievably wide). In this moment, I also wonder if West Maple Road is set up to be 6-lanes eventually? I need to refer back to that map.

That original list (at the start of this thread) shows 'Q' being widened from 180th to 192nd in 2017. That project is being done now. They've made a lot of progress on that. I wonder why they moved that forward?

I cannot wait for Harrison to be done all the way to 204th. I think West Omaha is much more attractive & "city feeling" when the major road grid through the suburbs are all wide streets with medians. It feels more like planned & perfect Phoenix suburbia, or Highlands Ranch (Denver suburbia), or something. (For example, West Blondo feels so much better to me now.) I hate narrow, little roads with subdivisions strung along them for miles & miles -- grassy ditches, no sidewalks, no light poles, waiting & waiting & waiting for a wider urban road.
I saw on the 2040 MAPA that West Maple Road will also be 6-lanes all the way to 204th St.
Thanks for letting me know. I hadn't checked on that yet... I could just tell, basically, because when you are driving west on it, towards Elkhorn, West Maple is so wide & spacious (including the wide center median). It appears to me, instead of stringing more freeways around (like Phoenix), the city plans to handle future traffic volume with choosing core existing routes to widen with 6 or more lanes. That make sense.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Does anyone know when the road construction on Giles between 144th and 156th will be done? Originally I had heard it would be finished by the end of the summer, but they still haven't poured cement from 144th to The Center yet. Whats the hold up?
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

BPHusker wrote:Does anyone know when the road construction on Giles between 144th and 156th will be done? Originally I had heard it would be finished by the end of the summer, but they still haven't poured cement from 144th to The Center yet. Whats the hold up?
They have has some delays be Sarpy still has it scheduled to be completed by September 30th.

Here is the latest on Harrison.
Harrison from 147-157 (Right of Way and Coordinate with Omaha, Douglas and Sarpy County)

Harrison from 147-157th (Roadway Construction)

Harrison from 157-169th (Design, Survey)

2021 (Estimated)
Harrison from 157-169th (Roadway Construction)
jomfa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jomfa »

ZaEry wrote:I talked to a city engineer and he told me when these streets would be widened.

* Blondo St from Eldorado to 153rd would either be widened sometime in 2014 or 2015.
* Harrison St from 147th to 157th would be widened in 2017
* Q St from 180th to 192nd would be widened in 2017
* 108th St from Q to Madison would be widened in 2017
* Blondo St from 153rd to 160th, 156th from Dodge to Corby will be widened in 2017
* 168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017
* 168th St from Center to Q to be widened in 2018
* 120th St from Maple to Fort to be widened in 2018

Streets that should be added to that list should be 168th & Harrison, 168th & Blondo, 168th St from Harrison to Q, 168th St from Dodge to Maple, 180th & Pacific, 132nd & Fort, and 132nd from Maple to Fort.
Any idea if its still the plan for 168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

168th St from Center to Q to be widened in 2018
I wonder how that one will be done. Any guesses? Completely new bridge? Is the jetty (?) wide enough to handle 2 more lanes?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jomfa wrote:
ZaEry wrote:Any idea if its still the plan for 168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017?
As far as I know, yes.
jaylike
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jaylike »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
168th St from Center to Q to be widened in 2018
I wonder how that one will be done. Any guesses? Completely new bridge? Is the jetty (?) wide enough to handle 2 more lanes?
It'll be four-lane divided road from Q to Center. The existing bridge will be expanded to four lanes.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Sounds like plans are in the works for 168th Street between Dodge and Maple:

Heavily traveled 168th Street to be widened; residents' input sought
Jay Withrow / World-Herald staff writer wrote:City of Omaha engineers and residents of northwest Omaha agree: It’s time for a makeover along heavily traveled 168th Street.

City officials are planning and designing major improvements to 168th Street between West Dodge and West Maple Roads. Included in the plans are widening 168th from two lanes to four lanes with a median and left-turn lanes.

The project also will include an intersection upgrade at 168th and Blondo Streets.
http://www.keepomahamoving.com/

No mention of the portion south of Pacific Street, but as far as I know, it's still slated for 2018.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

168th Center-Pacific

Post by ZaEry »

I was wandering is 168th from Center-Pacific scheduled for widening this year? I thought it was supposed to be done last year.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Sounds like plans are in the works for 168th Street between Dodge and Maple:

Jay Withrow / World-Herald staff writer wrote:City of Omaha engineers and residents of northwest Omaha agree: It’s time for a makeover along heavily traveled 168th Street.

City officials are planning and designing major improvements to 168th Street between West Dodge and West Maple Roads. Included in the plans are widening 168th from two lanes to four lanes with a median and left-turn lanes.

The project also will include an intersection upgrade at 168th and Blondo Streets.

No mention of the portion south of Pacific Street, but as far as I know, it's still slated for 2018.
I agree, south of Pacific is in need of widening.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: 168th Center-Pacific

Post by RockHarbor »

On that other thread (adjacent to this one), you listed this: "168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017." So, it looks to be this year.

You got me curious now. I'm so ready for that to be widened, being that it leads to Village Point. In Omaha, wen major suburban roads are only 2-lane (or 2-lane with a center lane), it just doesn't feel "urban" to me. That is...until the road is changed to a 4-lane street with a center median & sidewalks.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

ZaEry wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Sounds like plans are in the works for 168th Street between Dodge and Maple:

I agree, south of Pacific is in need of widening.
According to the CIP, the stretch between Pacific and Center is slated for this year, followed by Center to Q over two construction seasons and then Dodge to Blondo after that with Blondo to Maple at some later date.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Seems excessive for the city to pay for noise blocking fences for homeowners
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

RockHarbor wrote:On that other thread (adjacent to this one), you listed this: "168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017." So, it looks to be this year.

You got me curious now. I'm so ready for that to be widened, being that it leads to Village Point. In Omaha, wen major suburban roads are only 2-lane (or 2-lane with a center lane), it just doesn't feel "urban" to me. That is...until the road is changed to a 4-lane street with a center median & sidewalks.
Originally 2016 at one point and then moved to 2017 and I just want to make sure that I will be done this year. It's over due for widening.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

168th Center to Q is needing this just as bad.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

http://applewoodhoa.com/wp-content/uplo ... xAD298.pdf

Looks like they are about to start widening 108th from Madison-Q.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

ZaEry wrote:http://applewoodhoa.com/wp-content/uplo ... xAD298.pdf

Looks like they are about to start widening 108th from Madison-Q.
Yeah, there are a lot of utility flags on 108th near Harrison.

Anybody know why there are hundreds of utility flags up along the south side of West Center between 160th and 170th?
Last edited by Omaha_corn_burner on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City will acquire needed land for 156th St widening between Pepperwood and Corby...
admiralArchArch
New to the Neighborhood

Post by admiralArchArch »

nebugeater wrote:168th Center to Q is needing this just as bad.
Agreed. Add 180th to Pacific and 192nd to Pacific to the list as well. Most mornings NB 192nd is backed up from Center clear to F street, it's a disaster especially with the entrance to Lanoha's right there. Its amazing the population increase that has occurred west of 168th over the last 20 years, yet the infrastructure was not upgraded with the development, before it became to late.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Are there plans for this? I can't imagine the city putting a new bridge across Zorinsky. Some roads should just stay 2 lanes. They do need stop lights at the entrances to the park on both sides of the bridge.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Are there plans for this? I can't imagine the city putting a new bridge across Zorinsky. Some roads should just stay 2 lanes. They do need stop lights at the entrances to the park on both sides of the bridge.
Yes, the plans are to do it in 2018-2019.
HJp2434
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HJp2434 »

Coyote wrote:City will acquire needed land for 156th St widening between Pepperwood and Corby...
When are they wanting to begin this project?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

HJp2434 wrote:
Coyote wrote:City will acquire needed land for 156th St widening between Pepperwood and Corby...
When are they wanting to begin this project?
I'm pretty sure this year.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Hardly seems necessary. It has heavy traffic maybe a couple hours a day on weekdays. It is OK to have some roads that are bottlenecks if it preserves park space or the character of an area.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Hardly seems necessary. It has heavy traffic maybe a couple hours a day on weekdays. It is OK to have some roads that are bottlenecks if it preserves park space or the character of an area.
Yes it is ok to have some bottlenecks but when the city refuses to widen any roads west of 144 it starts to take a toll.
#gohawks
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:

That argument can be made for a Lot of road projects, anywhere in the Metro. Not a reason to rule a project in or out though
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
At the very least, it needs turn lanes at every intersection. I haven't lived out that way for about 10 years now, but when I used to, people turning would always cause backups.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Next year 168th from Dodge-Maple will be closed for widening. I'm wondering if the intersection of 168th & Blondo will be open, like you know they have one lane open while the other lane is under construction. It does make sense to close that whole section, it would defiantly take longer if they had one lane open while the other lane is under construction. I'm glad they combined both phases together. According to what I read, it will be closed from March-December of 2018. At the end it will all be worth it.

Harrison from 154th-157th will also begin construction next year. I'm pretty sure that most of you can agree with me on this but the fact that there breaking it in three phases, technically you can say that the headache won't be over until all three phases are done and they are only doing small portion each year. Harrison from 154th-157th in 2018, Harrison from 150th-154th in 2019, Harrison from 144th-150th in 2020. I know that traveling west on Harrison, even with all three phases complete, you'll still have drivers hogging the left lane to get to 168th Street. Traveling east on Harrison with only the first two phases done, you'll have drivers hogging the left lane because Harrison will still be a two lane road from 144th-154th. With all three phases done, traveling east on Harrison will run so smoothly. I have this suggestion, next year on the 156th & Harrison intersection, they have one lane open while the other lane is under construction and then the year after that, they close Harrison from 144th-154th and then that way it gets done sooner. An even better suggestion, next year they keep one lane open on the 156th & Harrison intersection while the other lane is under construction and close Harrison from 144th-154th, open it back up when that whole section of Harrison from 144th-157th is all four lanes.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The 2020–2025 Omaha Capital Improvement Plan is out now. Here is a list of projects coming up:

• Harney Street - 8th Street to 10th Street: extend Harney and 8th Streets
  • 26th and Q Street Bridge Replacement: bridge replacement
  • 60th and Harrison Street Improvements: realign roadway
  • 108th Street - Madison Street to Q Street: widen to four lanes
  • 156th Street - Pepperwood Drive to Corby Street Phase 2: 156th Street - Pepperwood Drive to Corby Street and Blondo Street - 160th Street to 155th Street: widen to four lanes
  • Harrison Street - 147th to 157th Street: widen to four lanes
  • Elkhorn Business District Improvements: repairing and replacing public infrastructure, including improving the sidewalks and streetscape
  • 132nd and Center Street Intersection Improvements: dual left turn lanes and right turn lanes on all four legs
  • Bus Rapid Transit: from downtown to Westroads. Out for bid; construction anticipated to begin later in 2019 with service beginning Spring 2020.
  • 24th Street - L to Leavenworth road diet: reconfigure from four lanes to three lanes + bike lanes
  • 30th St - Cuming to Ames Ave road diet: reconfigure from five lanes to three lanes + bike lanes, parking
  • Jones Street: 11th Street to 13th Street: rehabilitate the brick street
  • North Downtown Truck Route Bypass: re-routing the existing 11th St & Nicholas truck route with a bypass to the north and west of the Millwork District
  • Indiana Street - 11th Street to 13th Street: new street
  • 72nd and Maple Intersection Improvements: dual left turn on Maple at 72nd
  • 78th Street - Mercy Road to Pacific Street: replace road
  • Crown Point - 72nd Street to Blair High Road: reconstruct as three lane road with roundabouts at Wenninghoff Rd, both Northwest High School access locations and 78th St
  • 168th Street - West Center Road to Poppleton Ave: widen to four lanes
  • North Downtown Riverfront Pedestrian Connector Bridge: Bob Kerry Jr
  • Q Street - 36th Street to 42nd Street: rebuild; previous listings have said four lane
  • 11th Street - Dodge Street to Capitol Avenue: rehabilitation
  • Saddle Creek and Leavenworth Improvements: right turn lane on westbound Leavenworth and southbound Saddle Creek; dual left turn lanes westbound and eastbound Leavenworth; eliminate complex intersection
  • 84th & Dodge Street Intersection Improvements: align the intersection of 84th and Dodge Street (not West Dodge Road) with the intersection of 84th Street and Indian Hills Drive
  • 168th Street - West Center Road to Q Street: widen to four lanes
  • 156th Street - Pacific to Dodge: widen to four lanes
  • 48th Street - Q to Harrison Street: replace as two or three lane (tbd)
  • 72nd Street Bridge at D Street: replace bridge just south of I-80 with new six lane bridge
  • 72nd Street - J Street to F Street: widen to six lanes to tie into new bridge just south of I-80 and L Street
  • 108th Street - Decatur Street to Burt Street: widen to three lanes
  • Replace 42nd Street Bridge at C/D Street (just south of I-80): replace bridge
  • 11th Street - Izard Street to Cuming Street: new entrance to Millwork District at 10th and Cuming
  • Leavenworth Street - 7th to 13th Street: reconfigure from four lanes to two lanes + bike lanes, on-street parking
  • 72nd and L Street Bridge Replacement: NDOT rebuilding bridge; 72nd to be widened to six lanes
  • 120th Street - Stonegate Drive to Fort Street: widen to four lanes; construction 2020-2021 or 2023-2024 based on federal funding
  • 12th Street - Indiana Street to Seward Street: new street
  • 192nd and Dodge Interchange: reconfigure interchange
TBD
  • Q Street - 45th Street to 60th Street: widen to three lanes
  • 192nd and Center Street Intersection Improvements: dual left turn lanes on all four legs
  • 114th Street - Pacific to West Center Road: replace with either two or three lane
  • 168th Street - V to Harrison Street: widen to four lanes
  • Fort Street – 123rd to 132nd Street: widen to four lanes
  • Pacific Street – 169th to 183rd Street: widen to four lanes
  • 180th Street - Harney Street to Arbor Street widen to four lanes from Dodge to West Center
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Lots of exciting projects proposed for 2019. It's a shame the baby bob has to wait until 2021 though. Hope to see more road diet/reconfiguration proposals too - Center from 32nd-42nd, S 13th, and many downtown streets all come to mind.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Taco wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:55 am Lots of exciting projects proposed for 2019. It's a shame the baby bob has to wait until 2021 though. Hope to see more road diet/reconfiguration proposals too - Center from 32nd-42nd, S 13th, and many downtown streets all come to mind.
Leavenworth has always been the one I've been excited about. North 60th from Radial on up is also overbuilt and I'm sure the people living on 60th would welcome on street parking there.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Any details on "realigning 60th at Harrison"? I use this road semi-occasionally. Hadn't been on it in a while, though the last time I tried which had to be 3 weeks to a month ago, I had to turn around because it was closed, but it was further up the street. Didnt seem to be related to realigning the roadway. That sounds like a big project, something that seems should be halfway done being this late in the season
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Busguy2010 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:17 pm Any details on "realigning 60th at Harrison"? I use this road semi-occasionally. Hadn't been on it in a while, though the last time I tried which had to be 3 weeks to a month ago, I had to turn around because it was closed, but it was further up the street. Didnt seem to be related to realigning the roadway. That sounds like a big project, something that seems should be halfway done being this late in the season
http://keepomahamoving.com/projects/60t ... ealignment

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

They must be behind schedule on it then because I've used it all spring and early summer without there being a hint of construction. Things must have changed in the past month though. I haven't used it for 3 or 4 weeks, as the last time I tried to use it, it was closed. Hard to believe they'll get it done any time soon.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

84th & Dodge Street Intersection Improvements: align the intersection of 84th and Dodge Street (not West Dodge Road) with the intersection of 84th Street and Indian Hills Drive
This should be interesting. The two streets are approx 50 feet off of each other, but I don't really see the space needed to get them to align.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

84th and Dodge street

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

ScrattyB wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 am
84th & Dodge Street Intersection Improvements: align the intersection of 84th and Dodge Street (not West Dodge Road) with the intersection of 84th Street and Indian Hills Drive
This should be interesting. The two streets are approx 50 feet off of each other, but I don't really see the space needed to get them to align.
Page 56 of the CIP (page 60 of the PDF) has a drawing showing the plan. I'm on my phone right now so can't post a screenshot, but it look like it veer north onto Children's green space.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm
ScrattyB wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:50 am
Page 56 of the CIP (page 60 of the PDF) has a drawing showing the plan. I'm on my phone right now so can't post a screenshot, but it look like it veer north onto Children's green space.
Thanks!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I figured something like that was the solution. If memory serves me correctly, isn't there quite a bit of a drop-off from current Dodge street down to that parking lot of Children's?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm I figured something like that was the solution. If memory serves me correctly, isn't there quite a bit of a drop-off from current Dodge street down to that parking lot of Children's?
Looks like it: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.25978,- ... 312!8i6656