Street Widening

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Street Widening

Post by ZaEry »

I talked to a city engineer and he told me when these streets would be widened.

* Blondo St from Eldorado to 153rd would either be widened sometime in 2014 or 2015.
* Harrison St from 147th to 157th would be widened in 2017
* Q St from 180th to 192nd would be widened in 2017
* 108th St from Q to Madison would be widened in 2017
* Blondo St from 153rd to 160th, 156th from Dodge to Corby will be widened in 2017
* 168th St from Center to Pacific to be widened in 2017
* 168th St from Center to Q to be widened in 2018
* 120th St from Maple to Fort to be widened in 2018

Streets that should be added to that list should be 168th & Harrison, 168th & Blondo, 168th St from Harrison to Q, 168th St from Dodge to Maple, 180th & Pacific, 132nd & Fort, and 132nd from Maple to Fort.
hughes
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Street Widening

Post by hughes »

168th from Pacific to Center is probably the most necessary. It would be bearable if there were a center turnlane, but as it is it's practically a cart track between two wide, modern sections. It's kind of ridiculous at the 168th and Frances intersection where the business park access road is a MUCH better road than the supposed main arterial
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the info ZaEry, always nice to know what is moving up (and down) on the street plans!

I agree with Hughes. Why they have never finished this stretch can only be comprehended by Stargazer ;-)
I know most traffic from VP gets on W Dodge, but that stretch is needed. I can't remember if there is land acquisition needed, bridge work at the bottom, or what may deter this from being on top of the list...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

hughes wrote:168th from Pacific to Center is probably the most necessary. It would be bearable if there were a center turnlane, but as it is it's practically a cart track between two wide, modern sections. It's kind of ridiculous at the 168th and Frances intersection where the business park access road is a MUCH better road than the supposed main arterial
That was originally scheduled for 2007 & 2008, but eventually got pushed back 10 years most likely due to the economy. I've followed the TIP for years now and they always say something and then things change.

Here's a table I put together of projects listed in the FY 2014 TIP and 2015 TIPs:
[tr][td]Street[/td][td]Stretch[/td][td]Description[/td][td]FY 2015 [/td][td]FY 2014[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]108th Street[/td][td]Madison St to Q Street[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2017[/td][td]2017[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]114th Street[/td][td]Burke to Pacific St[/td][td]3 Lanes[/td][td]2018[/td][td]2018[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]120th Street[/td][td]Stonegate Dr to Fort St[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2017[/td][td]2017[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]156th Street[/td][td]Pepperwood Dr to Corby St[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2016[/td][td]2016[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Blondo Street[/td][td]Eldorado Dr to 156th St[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]?[/td][td]2014[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]168th Street[/td][td]West Center Rd to Q Street[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2018[/td][td]2018[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]168th Street[/td][td]West Center Rd to Poppleton[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2017[/td][td]2016[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]180th Street[/td][td]NWS Cleveland Blvd to Blondo [/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2019[/td][td]2018[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]180th Street[/td][td]Blondo to Maple[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2020[/td][td]2019[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]36th Street[/td][td]NE-370 to Sheridan[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2016[/td][td]2015[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]36th Street[/td][td]Sheridan to Platteview Rd[/td][td]4 Lanes[/td][td]2020[/td][td]2019[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Schramm Road[/td][td]84th Street to 90th Street[/td][td]3 Lanes[/td][td]2019[/td][td]2019[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Giles Road[/td][td]144th Street to 156th Street[/td][td]3 Lanes[/td][td]2015[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]US-75[/td][td]Chandler Road to F St[/td][td]Addl Lane (NB)[/td][td]2015[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]US-75[/td][td]Platte River to Fairview[/td][td]Interchanges[/td][td]2016[/td][td]2015[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]I-80[/td][td]24th St to 13th St[/td][td]Addl Lane (EB & WB) [/td][td]2020[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]CB East Beltway [/td][td]US-6 to IA-92[/td][td]4 Lane Urban[/td][td]2015[/td][td]2014[/td][/tr][/table]
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Why they have never finished this stretch can only be comprehended by Stargazer ;-)
I have always wonder this about Fort Street from just west of 120th to about 129th - or from the bridge to just to the top of the hill. East of this point Fort is 4 lanes and from 129th west there is a least two lanes with a turning lane. Fort gets a lot of traffic. I know it probably has something to do with the bridge but even if they could widen it and give it shoulders, turning lanes and lights up the hill would be an improvement.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I really think some widening needs to be done on Hwy 75 both south and northbound. Southbound should be 3 lanes through at least Cornhusker if not 370. Northbound is very backed up every morning with only 2 lanes. It too should be 3 lanes from 370 north especially just north of Cornhusker where traffic has to merge going uphill. The speed limit is 65 and do to traffic, on a good day you may slow down to 50 or lower. I don't think adding an extra lane is too much to ask for considering the amount of traffic that uses the hwy each day.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

skinzfan23 wrote:I really think some widening needs to be done on Hwy 75 both south and northbound.  Southbound should be 3 lanes through at least Cornhusker if not 370.  Northbound is very backed up every morning with only 2 lanes.  
I think part of the problem for the backup on northbound is that entrance onto westbound I-80 if we are thinking of the same place. It goes from two lanes to one and I have seen it backup at 5:00 in the after almost to F street
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Uffda wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I really think some widening needs to be done on Hwy 75 both south and northbound.  Southbound should be 3 lanes through at least Cornhusker if not 370.  Northbound is very backed up every morning with only 2 lanes.  
I think part of the problem for the backup on northbound is that entrance onto westbound I-80 if we are thinking of the same place. It goes from two lanes to one and I have seen it backup at 5:00 in the after almost to F street
Yeah I agree, that section further north near the 480 split is terrible, but I was referring to the section between Cornhusker and Chandler.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One disaster that was never fixed is the a West Center, Industrial Rd, 156th St section. What good did that project accomplish?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:One disaster that was never fixed is the a West Center, Industrial Rd, 156th St section. What good did that project accomplish?
Center is 4 lanes now.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:One disaster that was never fixed is the a West Center, Industrial Rd, 156th St section. What good did that project accomplish?
Center is 4 lanes now.
I have to agree Center probably should've been widened into six lanes around 156th, Industrial Rd section. I also think that Center should be widened into six lanes from I-680-144th St.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:Why they have never finished this stretch can only be comprehended by Stargazer ;-)
I have always wonder this about Fort Street from just west of 120th to about 129th - or from the bridge to just to the top of the hill.  East of this point Fort is 4 lanes and from 129th west there is a least two lanes with a turning lane.  Fort gets a lot of traffic. I know it probably has something to do with the bridge but even if they could widen it and give it shoulders, turning lanes and lights up the hill would be an improvement.
I agree that's why I've been bugging the city to add 132nd & Fort on the list for street widening. Fort gets a lot of traffic in that area. I remember that back in 2009, I had to bug the city to put a turn arrow at the stop light on 132nd & Fort westbound section, which one ended up getting put up that year. Then three years later arrows were put up on the northbound and southbound section of that intersection. I will also say that it won't surprise me if one day, they install a stop light on 129th & Fort because many time when I pass by that intersection, I always see cars exiting 129th St.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Has anyone else heard that the long term plan for 180th street is 6 lanes from Interstate 80 in Sarpy county all the way through Sarpy and Douglas County to Fort Street?

Is this good information that I heard?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:Has anyone else heard that the long term plan for 180th street is 6 lanes from Interstate 80 in Sarpy county all the way through Sarpy and Douglas County to Fort Street?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I read it in MAPA's long range transportation plan. I'll have to look again tonight and find where it says that. But I do know that is the plan.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Interesting. Are they trying to make it a highway? Or just improving traffic?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Louie wrote:Interesting. Are they trying to make it a highway? Or just improving traffic?
It would be like 72nd. 144th is also slated to be six lanes in the future. I took a look and couldn't find anything about it in the 2035 LRTP, but went back to the 2030 LRTP and found a map that showed that 180th was to be six lanes between Center and Maple.
Last edited by BRoss on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

During the recent Stothert Annexations debate in the City Council, the 180th & Pacific intersection became a hot topic. Was tax revenue from the acquired neighborhoods going to offset the funding needed? Or would it take away from street funds that could improve the needs in North Omaha...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Has anyone else heard that the long term plan for 180th street is 6 lanes from Interstate 80 in Sarpy county all the way through Sarpy and Douglas County to Fort Street?

What is known for now is that 180th just north of Vala's, starting at Schramm Road, is going to be graded, new bridges put in, a project which will last till probably May...
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Louie wrote:Interesting. Are they trying to make it a highway? Or just improving traffic?
It would be like 72nd. 144th is also slated to be six lanes in the future. I took a look and couldn't find anything about it in the 2035 LRTP, but went back to the 2030 LRTP and found a map that showed that 180th was to be six lanes between Center and Maple.
180th six lanes! As of right now I can't see 180th St ever becoming six lanes. 180th is really only busy from Q-Dodge. As of right now 180th doesn't connect from Dodge-Blondo. Although within the next ten years I might be saying different. Real soon I'm sure development will be making its way toward 180th & maple area. I could see 168th become a six lane road. I could also see 204th St become a six lane road one day. As of right now a lot of the land around 204th is still farm land but I did remember hearing retail development is supposed to be getting built in many areas around 204th St, that's why I believe it could one day be a six lane road. I could also see HWY 370 one day become a six lane road when theres more development as well.

144th six lanes! I do remember reading in a form that in 20 years 144th is supposed to be six lanes from HWY 360-maple or fort. I could defiantly see 144th St become a six lane rd.

Maple six lanes! I read from somewhere that Maple will one day be six lanes up to 144th.

Center/Industrial six lanes! I thought I read from somewhere that Industrial Rd from 132nd-144th St was in the planes to be expanded into a six lane road. I will say that I think Center from I-680-144th St should be widened into six lanes. I also think Industrial rd should be widened into six lanes from 144th-where it turns into Center-180th.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Work to widen Harrison Street in southwest Omaha slated to begin in summer 2017
Cody Winchester / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Plans are shaping up for some long-awaited improvements to a congested stretch of Harrison Street in southwest Omaha, but it will be a few years before construction begins.

Sarpy County has begun survey and design work to widen the mile of Harrison Street between 147th and 157th Streets from two lanes to four. The $6.9 million project also calls for raised medians, retaining walls, new traffic signals and other improvements.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Why would you expand a road only to leave a single turn lane that 90% of cars need to take?

That is what happened with Hwy 370 east of Gretna. The new road is nice but now has three times the traffic. That would be ok but they still have a single turn lane for east I-80 and that causes a backup 2 miles long for both lanes in the morning.

I really do not think this expanded road is any better now then it was before and is a lot more dangerous.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Why doesn't the city build these roads to 4 lanes before they get thousands of cars an hour on them? They rebuilt 168th from Maple to Dodge while Village Point and the 168th and Maple Walmart were under construction and built a 3 lane road. It had the traffic to support a four lane road within a year or two of completion and now it is one of the most dangerous roads in Omaha. It couldn't have been that much more expensive to build the 4 lane divided road initially and save the time and inconvenience of upgrading when it has already become a major vital thoroughfare.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Why doesn't the city build these roads to 4 lanes before they get thousands of cars an hour on them? \
A good number of new developments are in unincorporated areas. Why should the county be on the hook for millions of dollars in infrastructure over the years for the city to eventually come in and annex it?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

For the gravel roads they would rather have the SID's pay for them. This causes developers to do phases leaving the lots that are against the roads to be in the last phase. This way a developer might not have to pave a road for many years until they are ready for that last phase of lots.

Papillion build a Fire Station on a gravel road near 108th and Schram Road. They knew a neighborhood was coming in eventually and would pay for the road so they left it gravel.

- This is all my opinion from what I have witnessed living in a new neighborhood and taking gravel roads everyday.
robinsoz
New to the Neighborhood

192nd and Harrison Street

Post by robinsoz »

I have searched and searched as to when Harrison Street will be widened between 156 and 204th streets. Can anyone tell me when!
BRoss
IT Director

Re: 192nd and Harrison Street

Post by BRoss »

robinsoz wrote:I have searched and searched as to when Harrison Street will be widened between 156 and 204th streets. Can anyone tell me when!
MAPA's LRTP has 156th to 168th in FY 2020-2025. I don't see anything in the FY2016-2021 TIP.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: 192nd and Harrison Street

Post by RNcyanide »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
robinsoz wrote:I have searched and searched as to when Harrison Street will be widened between 156 and 204th streets. Can anyone tell me when!
MAPA's LRTP has 156th to 168th in FY 2020-2025. I don't see anything in the FY2016-2021 TIP.
Oops. Maybe not as soon as I thought...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

They moved up some segments of Harrison but it will be 2021 before it is done. I included Giles and some closer roads that will help the Harrison problem.

2016 - Giles from 192nd to 186th
2016 - 192nd from Cornhusker south (192nd finished from Cornhusker to hwy 370)

2017 - Giles from 170th to 180th (leaving 1/2 mile of gravel from 180th to 186th)

2018 - Giles from 204th - 198th
2018 - 192nd from Giles to Cornhusker (192nd complete from Harrison to hwy 370)

This does not account for any changes because of the plan for the 192nd & Cornhusker to 180th & Giles road.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So I didn't realize they had started widening Q St from 180th to 192nd.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I noticed that a new housing development was up for approval NW of 180th and Giles. The county was concerned that their design did not account for an overpass on 180th just north of Giles. They also did not take into account an elevated road about 184th and Giles. I was thinking it would be easier lower the tracks vs elevate the roads. I would guess flooding has something to do with it.

New Developments under construction from 180th - 204th and Harrison/Giles area
- Garden Oaks - 147 lots
- River Oaks - 283 lots
- Whitetail - 360 lots (Does not include roughly 60 existing houses)
- Remington Ridge - 256 lots (Does not include roughly 30 existing houses)
- Falling Waters - 117 lots (Does not include existing houses in previous phase)
Total additional new lots: 1,163
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No, raising the roads is much easier.

The last plan I saw actually shifted 180th to the east a little bit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone know anything about widening 156th Street from Pacific to Dodge?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:Anyone know anything about widening 156th Street from Pacific to Dodge?
It's on their list to widen it to three lanes (2 southbound, 1 northbound) sometime in the near future. I can't remember if I saw it on the five year TIF or just the 25 year LRTP. I'll have to look it up a little later.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think I saw it on the rfp page a few weeks back. Can check this afternoon.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Concrete or asphalt?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Concrete or asphalt?
I'm pretty sure it will be concrete. My guess is they'll do something like 78th Street north of Center.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

2021 construction. subject to change
4 lane
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

cdub wrote:2021 construction. subject to change
4 lane
Really, so they upped it to 4 now? I thought it was weird to only make it 3.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I have a Omaha master plan map that has color-coated strips on all the roads, showing what they plan to do. Yes, from that map, I knew that 180th & 144th were planned to be major 6-lane N-S roads eventually (and you can sense that on 144th, the sides & center medians are so unbelievably wide). In this moment, I also wonder if West Maple Road is set up to be 6-lanes eventually? I need to refer back to that map.

That original list (at the start of this thread) shows 'Q' being widened from 180th to 192nd in 2017. That project is being done now. They've made a lot of progress on that. I wonder why they moved that forward?

I cannot wait for Harrison to be done all the way to 204th. I think West Omaha is much more attractive & "city feeling" when the major road grid through the suburbs are all wide streets with medians. It feels more like planned & perfect Phoenix suburbia, or Highlands Ranch (Denver suburbia), or something. (For example, West Blondo feels so much better to me now.) I hate narrow, little roads with subdivisions strung along them for miles & miles -- grassy ditches, no sidewalks, no light poles, waiting & waiting & waiting for a wider urban road.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

RockHarbor wrote:I have a Omaha master plan map that has color-coated strips on all the roads, showing what they plan to do. Yes, from that map, I knew that 180th & 144th were planned to be major 6-lane N-S roads eventually (and you can sense that on 144th, the sides & center medians are so unbelievably wide). In this moment, I also wonder if West Maple Road is set up to be 6-lanes eventually? I need to refer back to that map.

That original list (at the start of this thread) shows 'Q' being widened from 180th to 192nd in 2017. That project is being done now. They've made a lot of progress on that. I wonder why they moved that forward?

I cannot wait for Harrison to be done all the way to 204th. I think West Omaha is much more attractive & "city feeling" when the major road grid through the suburbs are all wide streets with medians. It feels more like planned & perfect Phoenix suburbia, or Highlands Ranch (Denver suburbia), or something. (For example, West Blondo feels so much better to me now.) I hate narrow, little roads with subdivisions strung along them for miles & miles -- grassy ditches, no sidewalks, no light poles, waiting & waiting & waiting for a wider urban road.
I saw on the 2040 MAPA that West Maple Road will also be 6-lanes all the way to 204th St.