Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: Metro Area Bicycle Discussion

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like the 32nd Street plan is moving forward with bump-outs and bikes lanes instead of the dedicated cycle track.  Would be a great addition to the system.
I'm excited about this. I prefer this to the separated two-way lanes on one side.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That guy in the last picture. Love it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Looks to me about as likely to happen as the architects concepts of cities built in the ocean with trees growing out of all the rooftops.

At least the clip-art people are wearing normal clothes. I have to laugh whenever I see renderings of bike-commuters all lined up in Tour De France spandex.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Real solutions like left turn boxes and well defined bike lanes with signage are really all you need for an effective system. Austin really doesn't have much dedicated bike infrastructure. Just a lot of paint and metal signs.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Real solutions like left turn boxes and well defined bike lanes with signage are really all you need for an effective system. Austin really doesn't have much dedicated bike infrastructure. Just a lot of paint and metal signs.
Yeah, exactly.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Harney St funding still planned for 2016 in the latest transportation funding plan.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

One would think they'd install bycicle friendly sewer grates in dedicated bike lanes. :what:
15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Coyote wrote:Amazing cycle super highways making bikes the transport of the future

Some interesting concepts for bike trails:

I would be the guy on the train below the path XD
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I think the bike highway drawing goes to the projects that will never be built file.
I often observe our bike commuters on Leavenworth, Saddle Creek and Center. Often when they encounter a red light they edge around all the stopped cars and run the red light so they can back up cars all over again. Apparently red lights don't apply to many of them.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Slobs go second..
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

U R my Helix wrote:I think the bike highway drawing goes to the projects that will never be built file.
I often observe our bike commuters on Leavenworth, Saddle Creek and Center. Often when they encounter a red light they edge around all the stopped cars and run the red light so they can back up cars all over again. Apparently red lights don't apply to many of them.
I often go jogging in the morning and observe our car commuters. Often when they encounter a stop sign they roll right past it barely avoiding colliding with pedestrians. Apparently stop signs don't apply to many of them.

Seriously though, both car and bike commuters ignore many laws that are inconvenient for them. For car drivers it's mostly speed limits, stop signs, no right on red. For bike riders it's stop signs and red lights. Blame the individual.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Turner Boulevard Extension

http://www.douglascountypurchasing.org/ ... ension.pdf
Sealed bids for the renovation/construction of the City of Omaha Turner Boulevard Trail Extension, North 30th
Street from Dodge to Cuming Streets and Burt Street from N. 30th to N. 17th Streets, Omaha, NE are invited and will
be received on or before the bid opening date, as per the project’s specifications.
Anyone know more about this?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I hope they work on the south connection to the Field Club trail soon. Field Club Train connects to a large neighborhood on either side, but getting from it to other trails either toward the north or south(west) is a pain. My wife and I would ride the trails a lot more if they ever finish the connections to the Keystone trail or Riverfront trail. They've been identified on the trails map for years now; is there any schedule to complete these?
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

They started work on the Keystone/Field Club connector this past summer. They were hoping for a December opening, but it looks more like it will follow the original timeline and they will be finished in February of next year. You can check out http://omahabikes.org/category/trails/ for updates.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Jason4225 wrote:They started work on the Keystone/Field Club connector this past summer. They were hoping for a December opening, but it looks more like it will follow the original timeline and they will be finished in February of next year. You can check out http://omahabikes.org/category/trails/ for updates.
That's awesome, thanks for the update! My wife and I will definitely be using this!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

http://omaha.quikbyke.com/#

Electric Bicycle Rentals
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Lazy hippies!
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth wrote:
Jason4225 wrote:They started work on the Keystone/Field Club connector this past summer. They were hoping for a December opening, but it looks more like it will follow the original timeline and they will be finished in February of next year. You can check out http://omahabikes.org/category/trails/ for updates.
That's awesome, thanks for the update! My wife and I will definitely be using this!
Four miles of new trails scheduled to open this summer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I was wondering what they were paving next to the interstate.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Nothing more than thinking out loud, but there are some locations along trails where I wish there were bridges over the creek, on the Keystone Trail to be specific.

Some locations I'd really love to have a bridge over the creek are:

Maplewood Boulevard
Burt Street to connect to the Hy-Vee
Farnam Drive

That's it really. There's just a lot going on at those intersections and I've come into some situations where I was really wishing I didn't have to go to the next road crossing to go over the creek. Would anybody else appreciate more footbridges over the creek?