Speed traps

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Speed traps

Post by OmahaOmaha »

If you ever travel highway 301 in Florida, there are two really small towns...Waldo and Lawtey. They are both known as being some of the worst speed traps in the nation. They put billboards up along the highway warning people of the speed traps, but they still write out over 10,000 tickets a year for speeding. I'm sure the speed traps make up the majority of their town's revenue. I've passed through there several times and have always seen one or two people pulled over and see police cruisers lurking in out of view areas along the way. Google Waldo speed trap or Lawtey speed trap and you will see tons of new articles about the speed traps, complaints against the police departments, and pictures of the big billboards posted along the highway warning people about the speed traps.

As for speeding down the interstate, on my trip to Denver last year, a Colorado highway patrol pulled me over for only going 5mph over the speed limit. The guy was a real dick, asking me how I'd like to make a monetary contribution to the state of Colorado. No warning here. I got the full blown ticket from that cocky a-hole.

About ten years ago, I got pulled over in the middle of New Mexico. I had my cruise control set only a little over the speed limit, but apparently I was day dreaming and I had my foot on the gas pedal too. I was going 93 mph. When the officer asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I had no idea. I thought maybe I had a tail light out or something because I knew I had my cruise control on. When the officer told me how fast I was going, I guess he could see the shock on my face and only issued me a verbal warning. The guy was very cool. Than goodness not all highway patrols are dicks.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

There's a town in Colorado, Mountain View, that has basically no businesses, so they fund their government almost entirely through speeding tickets and various other traffic violations.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah but at least they can't afford tanks and grenade launchers that way.
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OmahaOmaha wrote:If you ever travel highway 301 in Florida, there are two really small towns...Waldo and Lawtey.   They are both known as being some of the worst speed traps in the nation.   They put billboards up along the highway warning people of the speed traps, but they still write out over 10,000 tickets a year for speeding.  I'm sure the speed traps make up the majority of their town's revenue.   I've passed through there several times and have always seen one or two people pulled over and see police cruisers lurking in out of view areas along the way.  Google Waldo speed trap or Lawtey speed trap and you will see tons of new articles about the speed traps, complaints against the police departments, and pictures of the big billboards posted along the highway warning people about the speed traps.

As for speeding down the interstate, on my trip to Denver last year, a Colorado highway patrol pulled me over for only going 5mph over the speed limit.  The guy was a real dick, asking me how I'd like to make a monetary contribution to the state of Colorado.   No warning here.  I got the full blown ticket from that cocky a-hole.

About ten years ago, I got pulled over in the middle of New Mexico.    I had my cruise control set only a little over the speed limit, but apparently I was day dreaming and I had my foot on the gas pedal too.   I was going 93 mph.   When the officer asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I had no idea.   I thought maybe I had a tail light out or something because I knew I had my cruise control on.   When the officer told me how fast I was going, I guess he could see the shock on my face and only issued me a verbal warning.    The guy was very cool.   Than goodness not all highway patrols are dicks.

WALDO FLORIDA! Come for the speed traps!

When I lived in Jacksonville and had to go to Gainesville for meetings, the boss told me to ignore the stated off ramp speed and just drop to 20 mph. I am not a physicist, but I am convinced that given the momentum of a car that weighs 2000 pounds and is traveling at 45 miles per hour, it is beyond the laws of Newtonian Physics to decelerate enough to get under the stated speed limit of Waldo if you start at the normal legal speed limit on Hwy 301.

I drove through once at 5 mph, and noted that the cop cars in Waldo have VISA credit card swipe machines mounted to back of the cop's front seat.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GetUrban wrote:Missouri used to stop people for driving in the left lane when they're not passing.
I don't know if they are still current, but Missouri used to have strange laws about things like this. The first time I took Driver Ed was in St. Louis (long story, I ended up having to take Driver Ed twice in two different states) and I remember them mentioning that some of the Missouri laws, like driving on the left and passing on the right, were not consistent with neighboring states. Years (decades) later when I had to take the remedial driving school here in Nebraska in order to clear a ticket I asked the instructor about it and he had never heard of that law.

And (edit) the Talking Head just said that there will be a major crackdown on DUI this coming Labor Day Weekend.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

OmahaOmaha wrote:
As for speeding down the interstate, on my trip to Denver last year, a Colorado highway patrol pulled me over for only going 5mph over the speed limit.  The guy was a real dick, asking me how I'd like to make a monetary contribution to the state of Colorado.   No warning here.  I got the full blown ticket from that cocky a-hole.

So how much does the state of colorado get from you for a measly 5 over? I'm sure Im in that area on 76. Its so damn sparse on there usually.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That whole stretch from Sterling to Fort Morgan is always Speed Trap Central...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I guess they aren't kidding about Lawty and Waldo. I searched initially on YouTube and really only found stuff from a guy affiliated with the anti-police trolls at CopBlock. Apparently AAA has tagged that part of US 301 as an official speed trap.

Speeding fines in Colorado are variable by county.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Three police officers running radar northbound on 132nd St. between Dodge and Blondo.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Three police officers running radar northbound on 132nd St. between Dodge and Blondo.
People heading up to Festa Italiana Brad? :cheers:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes. That where we were heading.

FYI, the rain ruined it... This place is a muddy muddy muddy disaster!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Yes.  That where we were heading.  

FYI, the rain ruined it...  This place is a muddy muddy muddy disaster!
Funny, I just asked Matt about it, he said everything was fine...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Yes.  That where we were heading.  

FYI, the rain ruined it...  This place is a muddy muddy muddy disaster!
Funny, I just asked Matt about it, he said everything was fine...
Lol, check out his FB post! I really hope they made some changes today.