City ignoring Fort St

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

City ignoring Fort St

Post by ZaEry »

Does anybody feel like that the city has been ignoring the traffic on Fort St? I've heard the city talk about improving Harrison, Q, Center, Pacific, Dodge, Blondo, and Maple. The last time I heard about Fort getting improved was when they widened 120th & Fort, which that's now been 10 years. I know Fort St is the least busiest street, unless you count Ida and State. Fort St defiantly has had an increase in traffic, especially 132nd & Fort. I remember in 2009 I kept on bagging the city to put a turn arrow at the westbound section of the stoplight on 132nd & Fort, which they ended up doing that year. Then in 2012 they added arrows at the north and southbound. I've been bagging the city to add 132nd & Fort on the list for widening. I've seen a huge increase in traffic on Fort from 120th-168th. At one point if you wanted to avoid traffic on Maple, Fort was always the best route but I'm not sure you can say the same thing now. Fort is on the verge on becoming a major street. I know Harrison, Q, Center, Pacific, Dodge, and Maple are considered major streets. I don't know if Blondo is but I bet once 180th & Blondo gets a lot of traffic than it will be.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: City ignoring Fort St

Post by jessep28 »

A lot of streets in suburban Omaha needs upgrades. Everyone thinks that *their* street should have priority.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Think of the tax cut we could get if we stopped expanding suburban road capacity. The cost of living far away from the city center is a longer commute. Expanding the roads will only diminish that cost and encourage people to move further from the city center, decrease density, and increase cost / resident of city services.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

jessep28 wrote:A lot of streets in suburban Omaha needs upgrades. Everyone thinks that *their* street should have priority.

Actually the original post is very accurate. It isn't about "their" street. Having in the past traveled Fort street for 6 years, I saw traffic grow. The city made it 4 lanes to the small bridge just west of 120th. Then they made it 3 lanes from about 127th to beyond 168th BUT they have ignored the small uphill stretch from the bridge to 127th. It is two lanes very little shoulder and no street lights. I have seen traffic backed up halfway to 144th St. in the morning and I've seen traffic backed up the other direction at the end of the day. I was always glad I was going the opposite direction :D

Of course now the city of the state or the county upgraded Military so that's probably helped a little bit.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There will be a study revealed sometime this year about how much it would cost to provide the needed improvements out west. It will be a comical number. Fort street is not remotely the only one or the worst one. If 168th cant get fixed, there are problems for sure.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just curious, how far west do you need to live before heading south to Dodge is a better option than heading east on Fort?

It seems like when I am out in NW Omaha, I find myself taking Dodge to whatever number street then north to my destination. That said, I am never in NW Omaha at rush hour so may be that wouldn't work.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Let's put that question in context: if you were at or going to the new AIHS would you go to 680 or Dodge to get downtown? I would have to look at how many traffic lights it would take to cross. I think it's a push at this location. Th closer to 120th it would be Fort.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I usually take a road without traffic lights over roads that do... I would rather drive father but stop less...

I work near 120 and Dodge and use to live at 52 and Center. Even though taking pacific home was almost a straight shot, I usually hopped on the interstate at Pacific and took it to 60th because it felt faster.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lately, since I now have a MPG display on my dash, time doesn't matter, useless idling and burning gas starts does. :?
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

cdub wrote:There will be a study revealed sometime this year about how much it would cost to provide the needed improvements out west.  It will be a comical number.  Fort street is not remotely the only one or the worst one.  If 168th cant get fixed, there are problems for sure.
I know Fort is not the worst out of all, Harrison is in my opinion. I defiantly agree with you on 168th there, especially between Pacific and Center. The reason why I was saying I feel like the city has been ignoring Fort is because traffic has increased there and not only is it not in the city plans but I haven't heard the city talk about it. For example, 180th & Pacific isn't in the plans and I've heard the city discuss on trying to improve it there. I remember 168th between Dodge and Maple being mentioned about getting a ton of traffic and I know that isn't in the plans. I remember in the mid 2000s, before 144th was finally widened, I used to say that 168th was the best route to get to Maple because there wasn't a whole lot of traffic but I now say different. 168th between Dodge and Maple is another great example of where traffic has increased.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Uffda wrote:
jessep28 wrote:A lot of streets in suburban Omaha needs upgrades. Everyone thinks that *their* street should have priority.

Actually the original post is very accurate. It isn't about "their" street. Having in the past traveled Fort street for 6 years, I saw traffic grow. The city made it 4 lanes to the small bridge just west of 120th. Then they made it 3 lanes from about 127th to beyond 168th BUT they have ignored the small uphill stretch from the bridge to 127th. It is two lanes very little shoulder and no street lights. I have seen traffic backed up halfway to 144th St. in the morning and I've seen traffic backed up the other direction at the end of the day. I was always glad I was going the opposite direction :D

Of course now the city of the state or the county upgraded Military so that's probably helped a little bit.
@jessep28, I'm well aware of many other streets, in my opinion I think 156th & Harrison is the worst. The city has talked about improving those other streets. Like Uffda said, traffic on Fort has really increased, especially between 120th and 144th. 20 years ago if you wanted to avoid traffic or traffic lights on Maple, Fort was the best route. I really can't see the same today. I feel like the city has ignored Fort because not only is it not on the city plans but it hasn't mentioned the traffic rate on Fort been mentioned. The last time I heard talks about Fort was when 120th & Fort was widened and that's now been 10 years. For example, 180th & Pacific isn't in the plans but the city is talking about widening it. Another example of where traffic has increased is 168th between Dodge and Maple and I remember that being mentioned.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I would rather drive through a mine field than West Harrison during commuting times.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Don't live in West O. Problem Solved.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Let's put that question in context: if you were at or going to the new AIHS would you go to 680 or Dodge to get downtown? I would have to look at how many traffic lights it would take to cross. I think it's a push at this location. Th closer to 120th it would be Fort.
Ok I am a dummy. AIHS is?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Uffda wrote:Ok I am a dummy.  AIHS is?
The new America-Italian Heritage Society's place on 132nd and Fort.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Where it La Festa italiano should be starting tomorrow. Usually they are done setting up by now, but due to the rain, the outside stuff is hardly started...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:
Ah. You and your acronyms. :lol:
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Oh and to answer your question If I was at 132 and fort. I would go toward sorensen parkway to downtown. Depends on the day there's lots of times I do not want to drive I-80. From the northwest corner I find Sorensen Parkway just as fast
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Oh and to answer your question If I was at 132 and fort. I would go toward sorensen parkway to downtown. Depends on the day there's lots of times I do not want to drive I-80. From the northwest corner I find Sorensen Parkway just as fast
When I lived over at 90th and Fort, I took the Sorensen Parkway all the time. It was great!