2015 Interstate & Expressway Projects

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

2015 Interstate & Expressway Projects

Post by BRoss »

2015 NDOR Projects Impacting Metro Interstate and Expressway System Projects

One thing interesting I noticed when looking through this is that they are going to restripe the southbound C-D road at Center and L to make them two lanes through.
MTO
City Council

Re: 2015 Interstate & Expressway Projects

Post by MTO »

Bet they installed them wide enough knowing they'll have to increase bandwidth eventually.

Those overhead shots show just how much room those road complexes waist. I like William's idea of installing solar farms in the between spaces b
15-17, 26, 32
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm glad there's no mention in here of any new freeways or the beltway. I hope they spend that money on mass transit.
So which of the road projects laid out by NDIR do you all think is needed most?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The beltway by MAPA l-r
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's nice to seem them take care of what we already have. Kind of a tock in the tick tock cycle. I was looking at the new 75-29 bridge kind of stupid they didn't make it unlimited access.
15-17, 26, 32
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

I am still thinking that eventually Hwy 370 could be turned into limited access freeway, at least from Hwy 75 to I80. Would it be difficult? Uhh, yeah, but I think it is necessary, especially for local traffic. All through traffic would go down to the Platteview Freeway. Yes, I realize there would be NIMBYs everywhere, but sometimes life sucks.

End my ramble.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Having a limited access highway, whether it be 370 or on Plattview is definitely needed. Hwy 370 can get very backed up at times and once it starts filling in even more, it will make traffic a bottleneck. In fact, I wonder if something isn't changed, will they lower the speed limit from its current 55 mph?
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

Platteview is already connected to 29 - it makes sense with the growth in Sarpy county to have Platteview extended through to 80 as a freeway. And then extend it up to meet with 275/hwy6 where dodge turns towards Fremont. I think 370 is already too developed for it to make sense to turn that into a freeway and it doesn't go across to 29 in Iowa like Platteview does.

This way, we bring freeway access to Springfield and Gretna by having a partial loop (at least for now until the funding comes along to bring it up to Bennington and finish at 680 (by hwy 36?)
What's simple is true...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Correct which makes me wonder why the flip aren't obtaining ROW now...
15-17, 26, 32
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

MTO wrote:Correct which makes me wonder why the flip aren't obtaining ROW now...
My guess is it's not in this year's budget - but it is planned to actually be done. Also, they seem to be more focused on making Lincoln's beltway happen, even though Omaha needs it too.
What's simple is true...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well if they keep jacking around they'll just have to suffer the consequences eventually. Nebraska always seamed half-assed about provisioning.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

michaelsjewel wrote:Platteview is already connected to 29 - it makes sense with the growth in Sarpy county to have Platteview extended through to 80 as a freeway. And then extend it up to meet with 275/hwy6 where dodge turns towards Fremont. I think 370 is already too developed for it to make sense to turn that into a freeway and it doesn't go across to 29 in Iowa like Platteview does.

This way, we bring freeway access to Springfield and Gretna by having a partial loop (at least for now until the funding comes along to bring it up to Bennington and finish at 680 (by hwy 36?)
The Plattview plan I can get behind, but I really don't see much of a need to loop NW Omaha.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

$450M boost will fuel Nebraska's expressway system
http://journalstar.com/legislature/m-bo ... d8e77.html

plans to complete the expressway system between fremont and norfolk (which overall connects to the metro)
mentions also the south beltway is paid for already by build nebraska act

where's the mention of a south and west beltway for Omaha?
What's simple is true...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think the 75 extension down to Nebraska city is a very good thing. Drivers coming from KC and further south won't be required to use I-29. Hopefully it'll be good for tourism in Nebraska City and Plattsmouth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:I think the 75 extension down to Nebraska city is a very good thing. Drivers coming from KC and further south won't be required to use I-29. Hopefully it'll be good for tourism in Nebraska City and Plattsmouth.
They started on the new Highway 75 / Highway 34 interchange bridge about a month ago.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Thanks for posting this. I was noticing them tearing away at a bridge on that I-80/I-680 interchange yesterday. It seems like not much time goes by before they are at that interchange again.

If you like freeway/engineering projects (I do to an extent, as I like bridges and stuff and freeway designs), you should check out the new design that finally just opened on Dallas' LBJ freeway loop (on the north side of town). That area (including the Galleria area), having snarling traffic already, was torn-up for years while they redid it all. When I was down there in 2013, it was a mess. Anyways, thought I would simply mention it here. It really is awesome what they did, imo.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transpor ... te-them.ec
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RockHarbor wrote:I was noticing them tearing away at a bridge on that I-80/I-680 interchange yesterday. It seems like not much time goes by before they are at that interchange again.
I believe that's all repair work. They did a couple other bridges in that area last summer.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RockHarbor wrote:Thanks for posting this. I was noticing them tearing away at a bridge on that I-80/I-680 interchange yesterday. It seems like not much time goes by before they are at that interchange again.

If you like freeway/engineering projects (I do to an extent, as I like bridges and stuff and freeway designs), you should check out the new design that finally just opened on Dallas' LBJ freeway loop (on the north side of town). That area (including the Galleria area), having snarling traffic already, was torn-up for years while they redid it all. When I was down there in 2013, it was a mess. Anyways, thought I would simply mention it here. It really is awesome what they did, imo.

I love this quote from the Fox 4 website: “We’ve taken that 50-year-old infrastructure and we’ve brought in into the 21st century." I weep for the 21st century.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

daveoma wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Thanks for posting this. I was noticing them tearing away at a bridge on that I-80/I-680 interchange yesterday. It seems like not much time goes by before they are at that interchange again.

I love this quote from the Fox 4 website: “We’ve taken that 50-year-old infrastructure and we’ve brought in into the 21st century." I weep for the 21st century.
I'm not following that... Why do you weep? Didn't you not like it, or something?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RockHarbor wrote:
daveoma wrote:

I'm not following that... Why do you weep? Didn't you not like it, or something?
I weep because I don't want the 21st century to be a continuation of the age of the automobile. This is too much land, too many cars, and too much pollution. There are plenty of friendly Texans but there is an immense amount of arrogance in that quote...arrogance is of course a Texan stereotype. I really would've like to see the money spent on a more creative solution to traffic gridlock.