How do you get from Omaha Amtrak to Kansas City

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Santa(ret.)
New to the Neighborhood

How do you get from Omaha Amtrak to Kansas City

Post by Santa(ret.) »

Ho, ho, ho,

Retired Santa arriving Sunday August 2nd at 5am from Reno to Omaha on the California Zephyr.
How do you get from Omaha to Kansas City by ground transport without waiting all day in the
bus station?

First bus is 4:50 pm.

Is there a KCI Airport shuttle? Rideshare?

Reindeer are vacationing in Martinique.

Thanks for any help.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: How do you get from Omaha Amtrak to Kansas City

Post by jessep28 »

Omaha has a fairly decent airport, negating the need for any KCI shuttle. Outside of waiting for the bus, there's the rideshare section on Craigslist, but you posted there already.

The train station is right downtown. Outside of exhaustion, why not take the day and discover what Omaha has to offer. There's A LOT to see and do within walking distance of Amtrak.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Yeah I think the only way is on a bus.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

jessep28 wrote:Omaha has a fairly decent airport, negating the need for any KCI shuttle. Outside of waiting for the bus, there's the rideshare section on Craigslist, but you posted there already.

The train station is right downtown. Outside of exhaustion, why not take the day and discover what Omaha has to offer. There's A LOT to see and do within walking distance of Amtrak.
Agreed. If the options are sitting in the KC airport or spending an afternoon in the Old Market getting drinks/food, you're better off sticking around Omaha for the day. There is also an excellent history museum across from the train station that currently has a fantastic ancient Egyptian exhibit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No that KC is getting a Streetcar, it would be awesome if the "Missouri River Rail Runner" that runs from KC to St Louis was extended up to Omaha. It would be awesome to head down to KC on the train and get around with the streetcar!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:No that KC is getting a Streetcar, it would be awesome if the "Missouri River Rail Runner" that runs from KC to St Louis was extended up to Omaha. It would be awesome to head down to KC on the train and get around with the streetcar!
Then get the rail done to Chicago and make all those KC folks ride through the Big O to get to Chicago!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Then get the rail done to Chicago and make all those KC folks ride through the Big O to get to Chicago!
Amtrak 5 & 6 (The California Zephyr) already runs from Omaha to Chicago on its Chicago to San Francisco route. Amtrak 3 & 4 (Southwest Chief) already runs from Kansas City to Chicago on its Chicago to Los Angles route.

Also, Amtrak 21 & 22 (The Texas Eagle) runs between Chicago and St Louis on its Chicago to San Antonio route.

However like any Amtrak Train... They are always late. Quick Glance at the trains current status on these 3 routes; 5 hours late, 5 hours late, 2 hour late, 5 hours late, 1 hour late, 2 hours late, 2 hours late, and 1 hour late. There are 4 trains on those three routes right now that are on time.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I never have understood why they don't connect Omaha and KC. Many people from Omaha go down there for weekend trips. Anyways of topic I was wondering if you guys think a high speed rail that follows I 80 across country is a bad idea. I think if the prices weren't outrageous lots of people would travel on it instead of flying. Maybe its just a dumb idea, I don't know.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:I never have understood why they don't connect Omaha and KC. Many people from Omaha go down there for weekend trips. Anyways of topic I was wondering if you guys think a high speed rail that follows I 80 across country is a bad idea. I think if the prices weren't outrageous lots of people would travel on it instead of flying. Maybe its just a dumb idea, I don't know.
A train that would go from Omaha to KC would be useful for air travel as well. KC could off load regional flights into Eppley and Omahans could use KC for international flights rather than have to fly through OHare. I agree that for weekend trips, stopping at Union station in downtown KC would be great. Being 5 hours late every trip would suck. Being stuck with 1 or 2 departures would make weekend trips into 3-4 day trips and that would make them into vacations rather than getaways and decrease the number of people who would choose to ride the train.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Rail lines already run between KC and Council Bluffs/Omaha. Of course they are for freight right now, but only imagination (and of course lots of cash) prevents the dreams of many to link these cities by passenger rail from coming true. The KC Union Railroad Station is right on the new trolley line that runs from the City Market down through downtown, the Power and Light District, the Convention Center, Crown Center, Westport and the Plaza. It will be so easy for tourists to chuck a car and still be able to get to most of the major tourist destinations via the trolley. And if we had rail from Omaha linking all of that, well, that would be better than fantastic!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

How long would that train journey be? And where would Omaha's stop/s be?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:How long would that train journey be? And where would Omaha's stop/s be?
v

If its Amtrak, it would be the Amtrak depot on 7th and Pacific.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Rail lines already run between KC and Council Bluffs/Omaha. Of course they are for freight right now
Not only are they freight, the are also both "Directional Running" right now.

-North Bound Union Pacific would Run from KC to Omaha
-However a South Bound Union Pacific would Run from Omaha to DesMoines and on to KC

-North Bound BNSF would would Run KC to Omaha
-However a South Bound BNSF would Run from Omaha to Lincoln to KC.

They do this because those lines don't have enough capacity to run trains in both directions.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nativeomahan wrote:Rail lines already run between KC and Council Bluffs/Omaha. Of course they are for freight right now, but only imagination (and of course lots of cash) prevents the dreams of many to link these cities by passenger rail from coming true. The KC Union Railroad Station is right on the new trolley line that runs from the City Market down through downtown, the Power and Light District, the Convention Center, Crown Center, Westport and the Plaza. It will be so easy for tourists to chuck a car and still be able to get to most of the major tourist destinations via the trolley. And if we had rail from Omaha linking all of that, well, that would be better than fantastic!

I think this idea is bankrupt before it even gets off the drawing board. I know myself and maybe you know that staying at the Crown Center is the only way to do Kansas City. However 99% of the people I know in Omaha have never stayed at the Crown Center even once. Typical Omaha traveler to KC stays in the suburbs somewhere not Down Town KC. Most people going to KC are going there to see relatives or Worlds of Fun or the Chiefs or the Royals. Down Town KC is not the reason most people from Omaha go to KC.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I've probably stayed at 40 or more KC area hotels/motels over the decades. Too many to recall. And yes, the Westin Crown Center can be a delight to stay in, if you can snag a good rate. (The corner rooms are awesome!). However staying at Union Hill is also a good alternative, as you are close to everything. Most recently I stayed at the Courtyard on the Plaza, and highly recommend it. All of these named hotels are directly on, or within one block of the trolley line.
While I am at it, if KC is in your travel plans try to hit Beer Kitchen in Westport. You will be glad you did. Sort of like Crescent Moon blended with Dixie Quicks.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

If you have some extra cash I would recommend the Sheraton Crown Center the view is the best in all of KC. Each year we went we got a downtown view from the 38th floor.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Plus I wish there would be private rail companies, they would most likely be more punctual and nicer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Plus I wish there would be private rail companies, they would most likely be more punctual and nicer.
You mean private Passenger rail companies.

All American Class 1 and most short-line railroads are all private companies.