Fort Crook Road - Highway 370 Bridge

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bellevue considers tearing down 26-year-old bridge over Fort Crook Road

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/bellevu ... b39f5.html
Jordan Pascale / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Just 26 years after a new highway bridge was built over a major Bellevue intersection, the City of Bellevue is looking to tear it down to get rid of its maintenance problems.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Fort Crook Road - Highway 370 Bridge

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a link to the story:
Bellevue considers tearing down 26-year-old bridge over Fort Crook Road
Roberts said he is concerned about the long-term maintenance costs on the bridge, built in 1989. Most bridges last about 80 years, but costs for this bridge continue to pile up as it needs new paving and eventually a new bridge deck and new joints.
Reduced traffic along Fort Crook Road also fueled the idea of a regular intersection. Just over 42,200 cars per day travel on the Fort Crook Road-Highway 370 interchange. The nearby Kennedy Freeway exchange carries more than 77,600 a day.

The Nebraska Department of Roads paid the city $2.5 million last year to take control of the bridge and a four-mile stretch of Highway 370. The shift to Bellevue resulted from the state opening a new Missouri River bridge south of Bellevue, which funneled traffic away from the nearby Bellevue Bridge.

Earlier, Roberts tried to use $600,000 of that money to get repairs done on the bridge, but no contractors were interested. Roberts said there are so many large construction projects happening in the area that contractors are in short supply.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks. I didn't realize I forgot the link...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

From looking at historical imagery from Google Earth, it looks like this was built at the same time the Kennedy Freeway was being built. I always wondered why they built this.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:From looking at historical imagery from Google Earth, it looks like this was built at the same time the Kennedy Freeway was being built. I always wondered why they built this.
Yes it was....I remember as a kid sitting on the overpass under construction with my dad to watch the Offutt air show.