180th Through Sarpy County

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

180th Through Sarpy County

Post by BRoss »

Splitting this from Development in and around Gretna

Sarpy county has come up with this road plan for the northwest portion of the county.

I personally think it's stupid since they are making 180th discontinuous as an arterial street due to existing development despite the fact it's been in MAPA's LRTP for a while now. They plan on putting an interchange in at I-80, yet they want to make 180th south from Giles go to 192nd to 370 instead to avoid existing development. Then from 370 south it would be 180th that would be the arterial street. This would cause people going south to have to take 370 from 192nd to get back to 180th and people going north would have to do the opposite.

Thinking into how people get around, they are still going to take 180th, which will have a much lower capacity that the route they have planned and will have to deal with that in the future. And then they are going to deal with major traffic problems due to this decision. To me it seems very short-sighted just to avoid existing development that should have know better.

http://www.sarpy.com/pcommission/docume ... Street.pdf
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: 180th Through Sarpy County

Post by daveoma »

WTH? That's makes no sense. I don't think that will work at all.
Last edited by daveoma on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

Well, the only good thing I see on this PDF is that they plan to make platteview an expressway like that of hwy 75.

It is strange to have 180th diverted though.
What's simple is true...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are neighborhoods being planned North of Giles and west of 180th on that map. They will basically fill in the open areas on that map. Construction might even get underway this fall.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The 192nd st alignment is better as you approach the Interstate. Thats why this is happening. Its an effort jointly with Sarpy and Omaha to keep the traffic on the same road, whatever you call it. 180 was always designed as primary in Omaha, but Sarpy focused on 192 due to interchange/bridge/ROW issues in their jurisdiction.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

But the interchange is going to be put in at 180th. I could understand routing it to 192nd if they were going to build the interchange there.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The interchange will likely be more in line with 192 than 180.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

This plan will cause more traffic in the future when the area builds out. They'll be causing 2 "need to fix" intersections. Cars traveling north will need to turn right, and those traveling south will want to turn left. Opposite geos for the 192nd and recommended corridor intersection. People going North will want to turn left to 192nd. Unless they get light timing correct (and usually they don't) there will be backups in the turning lanes. They need to stick to the grid pattern as much as possible otherwise they screw with traffic patterns. When you can't control where traffic will go (you can try) the best bet is the grid pattern.

And don't get me started at going north on 180th to then turn right to then turn left on Giles... or flipped on 192nd.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

You are going to have three new schools in that area. I would expect the Elementary traffic to use 192nd, but the High and Middle Schools would use 180th.

The Aspen Creek developers should be REQUIRED to put a traffic light in on 192nd Street before they start the North addition. If you choose to develop a neighborhood having safe intersections should be required just like paving the main streets. Right now it is not uncommon to wait 5+ minutes for a less dangerous time to cut across and turn east in the morning. Add in 200 - 700 additional cars from Aspen Creek and there is going to be a mess.

When Kingsbury Hills asked for a light on 114th and 370 the county said ok but you have to pay for it. This will be 3x worse and someone will be seriously injured.

PS: I hate lights on 370 and think it needs to be an expressway but safety first.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Trips wrote:You are going to have three new schools in that area. I would expect the Elementary traffic to use 192nd, but the High and Middle Schools would use 180th.

The Aspen Creek developers should be REQUIRED to put a traffic light in on 192nd Street before they start the North addition. If you choose to develop a neighborhood having safe intersections should be required just like paving the main streets. Right now it is not uncommon to wait 5+ minutes for a less dangerous time to cut across and turn east in the morning. Add in 200 - 700 additional cars from Aspen Creek and there is going to be a mess.

When Kingsbury Hills asked for a light on 114th and 370 the county said ok but you have to pay for it. This will be 3x worse and someone will be seriously injured.

PS: I hate lights on 370 and think it needs to be an expressway but safety first.
It is sad to see this senseless death as it was only a matter of time. Again I say, if a developer wants to build a neighborhood they need to be required to pay for stop lights.

Motorist killed in crash near Gretna
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Motori ... 59813.html

From the above article on WOWT. -
Authorities are investigating a deadly traffic accident that happened Thursday morning on Highway 370 near Gretna.
The crash happened around 8:15.
Authorities say the driver of a sedan had pulled out of a neighborhood from the north and turned onto eastbound 370.
The car was then hit by a westbound pickup truck near 180th Street.
The driver of the car was killed.
Identities of those involved were not immediately released.
Investigators continue to look into the circumstances of the crash.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Trips wrote:
Trips wrote:You are going to have three new schools in that area. I would expect the Elementary traffic to use 192nd, but the High and Middle Schools would use 180th.

It is sad to see this senseless death as it was only a matter of time. Again I say, if a developer wants to build a neighborhood they need to be required to pay for stop lights.

Motorist killed in crash near Gretna
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Motori ... 59813.html

From the above article on WOWT. -
Authorities are investigating a deadly traffic accident that happened Thursday morning on Highway 370 near Gretna.
The crash happened around 8:15.
Authorities say the driver of a sedan had pulled out of a neighborhood from the north and turned onto eastbound 370.
The car was then hit by a westbound pickup truck near 180th Street.
The driver of the car was killed.
Identities of those involved were not immediately released.
Investigators continue to look into the circumstances of the crash.
Before throwing the developer under the bus make sure that the State roads department is the show stopper. There are numerous lights that have been proposed and no matter what the funding source the State says that the traffic counts will not let them be installed.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Interesting. Although I don't like an orderly grid disrupted unless absolutely necessary, and I like the idea of 180th St being a thoroughfare without disruption, I can understand to a degree why. 180th already makes that curvy swing north of Giles, ECT. Part of me likes the idea of a meandering 4-lane parkway breaking away from the grid, curving thru the countryside through there -- almost like "Saddle Creek West" or something. I like the order the farm grid brings to Omaha (like Phoenix has a grid), but I also like the meandering parkways outside of cities like Denver and Dallas. All in all, though, with an interchange planned at 180th & I-80, I can understand the "What is the point?" reasoning to this. What? A million dollar interchange at 180th & I-80 for....what? The privileged residents of the new "Gretna East Estates" and autumn's traffic to Valas Pumpkin Patch?
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
dave1215
Home Owners Association

Post by dave1215 »

RockHarbor wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 pm , with an interchange planned at 180th & I-80, I can understand the "What is the point?" reasoning to this. What? A million dollar interchange at 180th & I-80 for....what? The privileged residents of the new "Gretna East Estates" and autumn's traffic to Valas Pumpkin Patch?

Not 180th. Sarpy County has officially said it will be 192nd in both their updated Comprehensive Plan as well as the connection point for the Platteview Road route they approved last year. I believe MAPA is also working on updates to the Long-Term Transportation Plan to reflect the County's plans.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

dave1215 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm
RockHarbor wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 pm , with an interchange planned at 180th & I-80, I can understand the "What is the point?" reasoning to this. What? A million dollar interchange at 180th & I-80 for....what? The privileged residents of the new "Gretna East Estates" and autumn's traffic to Valas Pumpkin Patch?

Not 180th. Sarpy County has officially said it will be 192nd in both their updated Comprehensive Plan as well as the connection point for the Platteview Road route they approved last year. I believe MAPA is also working on updates to the Long-Term Transportation Plan to reflect the County's plans.
Well, it make sense with the "surprise curve" over to 192nd. I still don't understand all that to begin with, though. What is the solid reasoning behind all that? I'd love to hear it. I can't think what on earth they are doing that for -- when 180th is planned to be the main thoroughfare. They can certainly "do their own thing" and stubbornly refuse to sync & jive pefectly with their neighbor Omaha. But, let's not forget: Explosive suburban growth (thus, more & more $$$) to their county is owed to a major city named "Omaha." I'm hoping there is real & understandable logic to this, because I'm having "Trouble With The Curve" here. (Lol...I just watched that Clint Eastwood baseball movie.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
dave1215
Home Owners Association

Post by dave1215 »

RockHarbor wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:56 pm
dave1215 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Well, it make sense with the "surprise curve" over to 192nd. I still don't understand all that to begin with, though. What is the solid reasoning behind all that? I'd love to hear it. I can't think what on earth they are doing that for -- when 180th is planned to be the main thoroughfare. They can certainly "do their own thing" and stubbornly refuse to sync & jive pefectly with their neighbor Omaha. But, let's not forget: Explosive suburban growth (thus, more & more $$$) to their county is owed to a major city named "Omaha." I'm hoping there is real & understandable logic to this, because I'm having "Trouble With The Curve" here. (Lol...I just watched that Clint Eastwood baseball movie.)
Sarpy County: Resolution for Authorlzing the Chairman to Sign Work Order #5 with Olsson and Associates for $937,0b0.00 to the Master
greement for Professional seruices for sarpy county l80th /192nd street corridor Alignment and Grade Study

https://www.sarpy.com/sites/default/fil ... LaneRo.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 180th Street Bridge over the creek and BNSF railroad in Sarpy County is completed. Its not open to the public yet, but construction traffic is driving over it.

The Giles Road bridge over the BNSF railroad still has a ways to go. The steel girders are in, but they are just starting on the bridge deck.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

It's been interesting to watch them build the bridge over the RR tracks... at one time they had 3 massive cranes listing girders into place. I thought they were done with the support pounding a few weeks ago, but apparently there needs to be a 3rd "mini bridge" just a little to the east of the main bridge over the RR. I think because this is taking place in a somewhat rural area it hasn't received a ton of attention but it's certainly a significant project. I wish we'd see some exciting developments nearby but it looks like everything in the immediate area around the bridges is going to be more housing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

djc311 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm apparently there needs to be a 3rd "mini bridge" just a little to the east of the main bridge over the RR.
I was just walking a ditch down there this morning and I didn't even look over east of the bridge. Do you think its for the creek near what would be 181st or 182nd?
djc311 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm I wish we'd see some exciting developments nearby but it looks like everything in the immediate area around the bridges is going to be more housing.
There are 5 Commercial lots in Giles Point, but I don't think they will be anything major, just smaller commercial buildings to serve the neighborhood.

There are also a couple larger apartment lots in Windsor West.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 pm
djc311 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm apparently there needs to be a 3rd "mini bridge" just a little to the east of the main bridge over the RR.
I was just walking a ditch down there this morning and I didn't even look over east of the bridge. Do you think its for the creek near what would be 181st or 182nd?
djc311 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:36 pm I wish we'd see some exciting developments nearby but it looks like everything in the immediate area around the bridges is going to be more housing.
There are 5 Commercial lots in Giles Point, but I don't think they will be anything major, just smaller commercial buildings to serve the neighborhood.

There are also a couple larger apartment lots in Windsor West.
I think you're correct - I thought the 180th St bridge was the only thing that needed to go over the creek. But Giles needs to go over it as well and they're definitely putting in something pretty large to accommodate the road there.

Is there an updated site map for the developments? Everything I've seen looked like residential. They built duplexes just to the east of the new 180th bridge and some of those look to be nearing completion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Transportation plan:
Roads in Western Sarpy County could see major improvements in the coming years

SARPY COUNTY, Neb. (KMTV) — Like many drivers, Gretna resident Erick Strickland gets frustrated while sitting in traffic. "You can definitely tell the build-ups, even when they're trying to do little things on the road," Strickland said. "It really stacks the road up and backs it up really bad where you could be sitting there for a good 20 minutes or more."