Platteview Road

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Platteview Road

Post by BRoss »

MAPA just released its study on Platteview Road.

Here's the executive summary and here's the full report.

Basically the study identified the following preferred alternatives:

• 4-lane Expressway On Alignment (on Platteview)
• 4-lane Expressway On Alignment (South of Springfield)

I'm a bit disappointed because they aren't planning on making it a full freeway and I feel like this road could end up like 370. Although if planned right, they could always upgrade it later (seemingly after 2040).
The analysis of longer term needs showed that construction of a four-lane arterial with one quarter mile spacing of access points would provide for travel movement up through the year 2040 if the Heartland 2050 land use is adhered to. However, travel movements would be best accommodated with an expressway facility that would provide between one-half mile and mile access. The traffic analysis shows that facility types work. The analysis of development beyond the year 2040 reflected in the build out scenario showed that the expressway is the best alternative to accommodate travel into and out of this portion of Sarpy County.
Improvements to the corridor can be made in phases. Initially, the existing Platteview Road should be improved following the list of projects described in the short-term evaluation. Prior to the year 2040, a four-lane expressway should be provided with a southern bypass around Springfield.

Number of Lanes
As the short-term improvements are accomplished, Platteview Road will remain a two-lane facility. Long-term, the arterial and expressway sections would be constructed with four-lanes to approximately 192nd Street. The connection with I-80 would also be constructed as a four-lane facility. Right-of-way should be preserved in the interim period in order to minimize future cost of acquisition and ensure consistency of the surrounding future development.

Access Points
For both the arterial and expressway sections, access would be limited to existing roadways that connect with Platteview Road. Existing access by driveways and local streets would be maintained in the short-term. However, as areas develop, driveway and local access would be replaced by new connection to collector or arterial roads. In the long-term, signalized access would be provided at not less than one-half-mile intervals for the arterial and 1-mile intervals for the expressway. In locations with a denser street network – such as near Springfield – spacing closer than one-half mile between intersections may be permitted. Innovative access (such as the Michigan Left Turn) could be incorporated into the expressway design to improve traffic flow through intersections and provide additional access opportunities.
For the long-term buildout scenario, land for interchange locations should be identified and preserved at Highway N-50 and around I-80 in the 192nd Street to 180th Street area. It is recommended that at minimum, a 200-foot right-of-way be preserved around these locations. Additional study is needed to determine the ultimate location of a future connection with I-80.
Platteview Route.jpg
Platteview Route.jpg (207.8 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
Sarpy County Land Use.jpg
Sarpy County Land Use.jpg (200.58 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Platteview Road

Post by skinzfan23 »

This upgrade is definitely needed but unfortunately it sounds like any construction is 10 years away at best.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's good to see they're putting some effort into provisioning for the future. I understand not building one now but if they didn't start ROWing I'd hate to see a built up Sarpy county without any major arteries past Cornhusker HWY. It looks Ike from the alignment it could be upgraded to a freeway but unfortunately it could never continue north to the West Dodge Expressway there's already too much development.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I currently live just 1/2 mile north of Platteview Rd near 36th St. It will really open the area up for future development once all this happens. Granted they also have to get the storm sewers and other infrastructure in place but that area will really take off once it does.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

HR Paperstacks wrote:MAPA just released its study on Platteview Road.

Here's the executive summary and here's the full report.

Basically the study identified the following preferred alternatives:

• 4-lane Expressway On Alignment (on Platteview)
• 4-lane Expressway On Alignment (South of Springfield)

I'm a bit disappointed because they aren't planning on making it a full freeway and I feel like this road could end up like 370. Although if planned right, they could always upgrade it later (seemingly after 2040).
The analysis of longer term needs showed that construction of a four-lane arterial with one quarter mile spacing of access points would provide for travel movement up through the year 2040 if the Heartland 2050 land use is adhered to. However, travel movements would be best accommodated with an expressway facility that would provide between one-half mile and mile access. The traffic analysis shows that facility types work. The analysis of development beyond the year 2040 reflected in the build out scenario showed that the expressway is the best alternative to accommodate travel into and out of this portion of Sarpy County.
Improvements to the corridor can be made in phases. Initially, the existing Platteview Road should be improved following the list of projects described in the short-term evaluation. Prior to the year 2040, a four-lane expressway should be provided with a southern bypass around Springfield.

Number of Lanes
As the short-term improvements are accomplished, Platteview Road will remain a two-lane facility. Long-term, the arterial and expressway sections would be constructed with four-lanes to approximately 192nd Street. The connection with I-80 would also be constructed as a four-lane facility. Right-of-way should be preserved in the interim period in order to minimize future cost of acquisition and ensure consistency of the surrounding future development.

Access Points
For both the arterial and expressway sections, access would be limited to existing roadways that connect with Platteview Road. Existing access by driveways and local streets would be maintained in the short-term. However, as areas develop, driveway and local access would be replaced by new connection to collector or arterial roads. In the long-term, signalized access would be provided at not less than one-half-mile intervals for the arterial and 1-mile intervals for the expressway. In locations with a denser street network – such as near Springfield – spacing closer than one-half mile between intersections may be permitted. Innovative access (such as the Michigan Left Turn) could be incorporated into the expressway design to improve traffic flow through intersections and provide additional access opportunities.
For the long-term buildout scenario, land for interchange locations should be identified and preserved at Highway N-50 and around I-80 in the 192nd Street to 180th Street area. It is recommended that at minimum, a 200-foot right-of-way be preserved around these locations. Additional study is needed to determine the ultimate location of a future connection with I-80.
Platteview Route.jpg
Sarpy County Land Use.jpg
When you said Platteview ending up like HWY 370, according to what I read Platteview will one day be considered the main road in southern sappy county.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Not much updates here, but the expressway project was mentioned today in the OWH article about the west Sarpy roads project wrapping up. They are still trying to figure out funding.
Steve Liewer / Omaha World Herald wrote:The county still has another major road project in its future. The Platteview Expressway would be a four-lane, limited-access road running from U.S. Highway 75 (Kennedy Freeway) west to Interstate 80 along Platteview Road, through Springfield.

A workshop was held on the project in 2015, and public hearings followed in 2020 and 2021, according to the county’s ConnectSarpy.com website. But the county is still studying funding options.
https://omaha.com/news/local/traffic-ho ... 573d5.html