MAPA Long Range Transportation Plan

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

MAPA Long Range Transportation Plan

Post by Dundeemaha »

MAPA's looking for input on the Long Range Transportation Plan. The options are quite different and range from, low budget to expansive BRT network to high budget car centric lane expansions.

http://mapacog.org/calendar/news/public ... scenarios/

Proposed Strategies
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Re: MAPA Long Range Transportation Plan

Post by Athomsfere »

So MAPA has no input with light rail / street cars? Or is Omaha still betting against decent mass transit?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Looks like they've honed in on the BRT over light rail route, if they do it well it will be a nice improvement. I especially like that their 2nd route after Dodge st is a Maple <-> Saddle Creek <-> Center route. Just that route connects Benson, UNMC and Aksarben Village. 1 quick transfer to the Dodge BRT adds Dundee, Midtown Crossing and Downtown.

A lot of immigrant families take the #4 so that route could really help people who need more transit options too.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Ideally, which for me would provide the best transit capacity for future Omaha would be to combine the partial beltway from plan 2, the road improvements from plan 3, and the BRT, new express route, transit ways, Bus on shoulder, and park and rides from plan 4.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

What does "creative roadway improvements" mean?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'd love to see the details on scenario #2 for the expressway/freeway I don't see how they think they could fit it in east of Gretna there's already SIDs, acreages along with other properties blocking the path. I voted #2 as my top pick but gave #1 a high preference too I know freeways kill cities but this is Nebraska if we don't tell them to build the bypass they'd wait until it's too late.
On another note it's quite clear they want a new interchange on I80 at Capehart and 192nd.
15-17, 26, 32
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

It's great they are planning at least, but LR would be soooo much better. Just the extra visibility would probably bring ridership up.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

MTO wrote:I'd love to see the details on scenario #2 for the expressway/freeway I don't see how they think they could fit it in east of Gretna there's already SIDs, acreages along with other properties blocking the path. I voted #2 as my top pick but gave #1 a high preference too I know freeways kill cities but this is Nebraska if we don't tell them to build the bypass they'd wait until it's too late.
On another note it's quite clear they want a new interchange on I80 at Capehart and 192nd.
The interchange I-80 would be at 180th. For scenario #2 Sarpy County is already planning for the portion east of 19nd. This includes the 180th & I-80 interchange moving traffice to 192nd and then back to 180th & Giles http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17445

The western portion looks fairly clear with the majority of houses in the way already wanting to sell because of the new apartments going up.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Outstanding, having homeowners willing to move of their own volition is much preferable than doing things the "hard way".
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I still can't believe they aren't going to make traffic go off the mainline to 192nd. That seems like really poor planning that is going to bite them in the |expletive| later.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Can't they retro fit that in later?
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote:Can't they retro fit that in later?
Probably not easily. But why plan it this way in the first place? I know there are some conflicts along 180th, but it would be easier to resolve it now instead of when it's all built out.