30th Street Road Diet

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

30th Street Road Diet

Post by iamjacobm »

30th from Cuming to Ames will lose a lane in each direction to be replaced by bike lanes and enhanced streetscape. Will now be one lane each direction with a center turn lane and a bike lane in each direction.
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: 30th Street Road Diet

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'm happy they are doing more of these.

North 24th and south 16th are great now and do just fine without the second lane.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Still moving forward, city acquiring some property needed for construction and easements.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... /41844.pdf
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm Still moving forward, city acquiring some property needed for construction and easements.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... /41844.pdf
This update must be in connection to the Federal Grant that was awarded to the Spencer Home Project, yeah? According to the article there were additional financial investments that were contingent on that Federal Grant.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I'm really excited for Omaha to get its first real bike lane with physical separation and love this road diet. If we're going to build on this I'd like to love either or both of these 2 ideas for complimentary bike lanes that could start to build some usable bike infrastructure.

• Cuming St feels more like a suburban arterial than a downtown street, wider sidewalks, bike lanes, 1 side of street parking while dropping to 3 lane (including center turn) could really help connect the north side of Cuming to the south to spur growth and investment.
  • Northwest Radial seems like an ideal conversions from 4 lane to 3 lane including center turn.
  • Hamilton and Military are old industrial roads no longer used for industrial traffic and have massive lane widths, adding a protected bike path could drop lane widths and thus reduce the dangerous speeding that occurs on them. Hamilton is smaller between 30th and 36th but this area is residential with curb strips that could provide bike lane space.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I have some initial skepticism on this and the 24h street one, as they are both long stretches that have prominent transit routes running on them. I can't imagine the amount of time it would take to get from way north 30th to Dodge street being stuck behind a frequently stopping bus. I do understand the idea is to get people out of their cars and onto those buses, but I don't have a lot of faith that it will catch on in Omaha. I personally do like the plan and I hope it does work well, but I have my doubts.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

In the World Herald today they mentioned a temporary protected bike lane going up this summer, but apparently the location is still under wraps. Is it 30th st? Does anyone know? Also as an aside - are they still planning on extending the leavenworth bike lanes towards 42nd? I noticed there are no markings on the new asphalt.