84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Post by Mystikbrian »

I have noticed that there are many many trees marked for removal on 84th street from about Methodist hospital all the way to pacific but only on the west side of the street. I also noticed that utilities are marked. Anyone know what's going on? Did the hospital buy all those houses?
Thanks in advance.
Brad
City Council

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Post by Brad »

Mystikbrian wrote:I have noticed that there are many many trees marked for removal on 84th street from about Methodist hospital all the way to pacific but only on the west side of the street. I also noticed that utilities are marked. Anyone know what's going on? Did the hospital buy all those houses?
Thanks in advance.
Next time you go by, take another look, there are a few with a X on them on the east side too.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?
The closed sign I saw was for "Tree Removal". I would need to take a closer look, but I'm fairly certain there were a couple silver maples with the X as well.
Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mystikbrian »

My first thought was disease or the dreaded ash bore. I've seen many pines coming down around town because of disease.

From what I could tell there was no one type of tree but pretty much every tree. Besides, these trees were not only on city property but in homeowners yards. Wouldn't make sense that they are all being done at the same time by the same company. Also doesn't really explain why utilities were marked.

This has me very curious.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?
Omaha Public Works just said closed until December!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Omaha Public Works just said closed until December!
December!?!? Wow, good thing I know the back roads!
Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mystikbrian »

That must be a very major street project. Maybe sewer is involved also?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Not really any new information, but here is the notice from the Public Works website:
City of Omaha Public Works wrote:Starting Monday, February 20th, 2017, 84th Street from Dodge Street to Pacific Street WILL BE CLOSED due to street construction by Roloff Construction and will be in effect until mid December 2017.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I saw that closing notice, too. Wow...until December? I, too, thought about street widening. By the things people are noticing (the trees, ect), it does sound like that, possibly. I've always felt it would be nice to have 84th widened from Center to Dodge. As Omaha grows on the south side, it is important to have better connections to Dodge Street than there is currently, I feel. Only 72nd & 42nd connect to Dodge -- not 96th, not 108th, not 60th. However, of course, I'm not sure what is going on...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So what will the impact look like for the people living along that stretch with that long of street shut down. Not good I am sure. If I remember correct there are not really any businesses there.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Jun 22, 2016:
OWH wrote:City to add center lane on 84th Street from Pacific to Dodge
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-to ... 93821.html
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

When it was approved in June, they said they were going to do it in sections to minimize the impact. I realize that isn't what the signs appear to be indicating right now.

As someone who takes 84th street 4 or 5 times a week to visit an elderly family member who needs help, I honestly don't see the need for a center turn lane on this stretch. Concrete and storm sewers will be a welcome addition though.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Public Works officials said they expect to work on the project between April and November of next year.
So why are they closing it this year?
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Public Works officials said they expect to work on the project between April and November of next year.
Emphasis added to reflect date of OWH article:
zippy wrote:Jun 22, 2016:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

zippy wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Emphasis added to reflect date of OWH article:
zippy wrote:Jun 22, 2016:
Oh duh, thanks for pointing that out. I just assumed that was a recent article (even though you put it in your post :oops: ).
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RockHarbor wrote:I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.
Doesn't help that 90th is only 6 blocks away.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.
No, it doesn't. :) I want to exit I-80 at 84th, turn right & look north, and see a nice, wide street w/ medians leading north to Dodge. It would also be nice for the south suburbs to have a convenient, straight connection to West Dodge Road, imo, at 84th & 72nd both.

Why should somebody traveling west on I-80, and who wants to go to Methodist Hospital (or something other around 84th & Dodge), have to exit 72nd and take another 12-15 minutes sitting through traffic north on 72nd, then west on Dodge? Or, have to exit 84th St, head north, and either travel west to 90th, then backtrack east to the hospital on Dodge? Or, at 84th & Center, have to turn right, go several blocks, and find the little windy neighborhood street that leads you north to Dodge? It just is a hassle.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RockHarbor wrote:
Brad wrote:
No, it doesn't. :) I want to exit I-80 at 84th, turn right & look north, and see a nice, wide street w/ medians leading north to Dodge. It would also be nice for the south suburbs to have a convenient, straight connection to West Dodge Road, imo, at 84th & 72nd both.

Why should somebody traveling west on I-80, and who wants to go to Methodist Hospital (or something other around 84th & Dodge), have to exit 72nd and take another 12-15 minutes sitting through traffic north on 72nd, then west on Dodge? Or, have to exit 84th St, head north, and either travel west to 90th, then backtrack east to the hospital on Dodge? Or, at 84th & Center, have to turn right, go several blocks, and find the little windy neighborhood street that leads you north to Dodge? It just is a hassle.
Sound like a good case for public transit.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

MTO: I guess so! :)
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

It would be nice if they quickly completed the part of this project that blocks a lane of westbound Pacific street.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I don't know how long 84th has been open, but I used it last night. It seems pretty freshly opened. I'll be honest, I'm completely underwhelmed. For it to be closed as long as it was, I'd expected it to be a three lane road.

Since it appears very well finished, I fully expect the road to remain two lanes for at least another decade... So I wonder, what problem did this fix?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They didn’t make it three lanes? I thought that was one of the main points of this.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:They didn’t make it three lanes? I thought that was one of the main points of this.
Yeah, me too! It's just like it was only in concrete and with real storm drains.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

It's three lanes in the south end. Lots of widening, esp the sidewalks.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

bigredmed1 wrote:It's three lanes in the south end. Lots of widening, esp the sidewalks.
It's always been three lanes at Pacific. They added a turn lane at Farnam, but this is in no way now a three lane road.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah WOW all that work for jack ßhit!! That was a |expletive| waist of tax payer resources.
15-17, 26, 32