84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Mystikbrian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:37 pm

I have noticed that there are many many trees marked for removal on 84th street from about Methodist hospital all the way to pacific but only on the west side of the street. I also noticed that utilities are marked. Anyone know what's going on? Did the hospital buy all those houses?
Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28665
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Brad » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Mystikbrian wrote:I have noticed that there are many many trees marked for removal on 84th street from about Methodist hospital all the way to pacific but only on the west side of the street. I also noticed that utilities are marked. Anyone know what's going on? Did the hospital buy all those houses?
Thanks in advance.


Next time you go by, take another look, there are a few with a X on them on the east side too.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:09 pm

I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28665
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Brad » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?


The closed sign I saw was for "Tree Removal". I would need to take a closer look, but I'm fairly certain there were a couple silver maples with the X as well.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Mystikbrian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:43 am

My first thought was disease or the dreaded ash bore. I've seen many pines coming down around town because of disease.

From what I could tell there was no one type of tree but pretty much every tree. Besides, these trees were not only on city property but in homeowners yards. Wouldn't make sense that they are all being done at the same time by the same company. Also doesn't really explain why utilities were marked.

This has me very curious.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:I noticed a sign saying they were going to close 84th between Dodge and Pacific soon. I didn't really pay attention if it said any more than that. But I have not heard anything about it being widened. Could it be that the trees need to be torn down because of that Emerald Ash Borer?


Omaha Public Works just said closed until December!

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28665
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Brad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:24 pm

iamjacobm wrote:Omaha Public Works just said closed until December!


December!?!? Wow, good thing I know the back roads!
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Mystikbrian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 pm

That must be a very major street project. Maybe sewer is involved also?

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Not really any new information, but here is the notice from the Public Works website:
City of Omaha Public Works wrote:Starting Monday, February 20th, 2017, 84th Street from Dodge Street to Pacific Street WILL BE CLOSED due to street construction by Roloff Construction and will be in effect until mid December 2017.

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby RockHarbor » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:10 am

I saw that closing notice, too. Wow...until December? I, too, thought about street widening. By the things people are noticing (the trees, ect), it does sound like that, possibly. I've always felt it would be nice to have 84th widened from Center to Dodge. As Omaha grows on the south side, it is important to have better connections to Dodge Street than there is currently, I feel. Only 72nd & 42nd connect to Dodge -- not 96th, not 108th, not 60th. However, of course, I'm not sure what is going on...
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6266
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby nebugeater » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:29 am

So what will the impact look like for the people living along that stretch with that long of street shut down. Not good I am sure. If I remember correct there are not really any businesses there.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

zippy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: East of Elkhorn

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby zippy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 am


Mr.Nuke
Library Board
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Mr.Nuke » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 am

When it was approved in June, they said they were going to do it in sections to minimize the impact. I realize that isn't what the signs appear to be indicating right now.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-to ... 93821.html

As someone who takes 84th street 4 or 5 times a week to visit an elderly family member who needs help, I honestly don't see the need for a center turn lane on this stretch. Concrete and storm sewers will be a welcome addition though.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Public Works officials said they expect to work on the project between April and November of next year.

So why are they closing it this year?

zippy
Home Owners Association
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:55 pm
Location: East of Elkhorn

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby zippy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:37 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Public Works officials said they expect to work on the project between April and November of next year.

So why are they closing it this year?


Emphasis added to reflect date of OWH article:
zippy wrote:Jun 22, 2016:
OWH wrote:City to add center lane on 84th Street from Pacific to Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-to-add-center-lane-on-th-street-from-pacific/article_2647fd44-12d0-55ff-9df9-7469da993821.html

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:08 pm

zippy wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Public Works officials said they expect to work on the project between April and November of next year.

So why are they closing it this year?


Emphasis added to reflect date of OWH article:
zippy wrote:Jun 22, 2016:
OWH wrote:City to add center lane on 84th Street from Pacific to Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-to-add-center-lane-on-th-street-from-pacific/article_2647fd44-12d0-55ff-9df9-7469da993821.html

Oh duh, thanks for pointing that out. I just assumed that was a recent article (even though you put it in your post :oops: ).

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby RockHarbor » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 pm

I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28665
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Brad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 am

RockHarbor wrote:I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.


Doesn't help that 90th is only 6 blocks away.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby RockHarbor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.


Doesn't help that 90th is only 6 blocks away.


No, it doesn't. :) I want to exit I-80 at 84th, turn right & look north, and see a nice, wide street w/ medians leading north to Dodge. It would also be nice for the south suburbs to have a convenient, straight connection to West Dodge Road, imo, at 84th & 72nd both.

Why should somebody traveling west on I-80, and who wants to go to Methodist Hospital (or something other around 84th & Dodge), have to exit 72nd and take another 12-15 minutes sitting through traffic north on 72nd, then west on Dodge? Or, have to exit 84th St, head north, and either travel west to 90th, then backtrack east to the hospital on Dodge? Or, at 84th & Center, have to turn right, go several blocks, and find the little windy neighborhood street that leads you north to Dodge? It just is a hassle.
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby MTO » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 am

RockHarbor wrote:
Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I wish they could pay local homeowners a good chunk of change, and just PLOW that 84th Street through, from Dodge to Center. Ugh, Omaha has a pretty great grid, but there are some "kinks" in town within the grid, and that is one of them, imo.


Doesn't help that 90th is only 6 blocks away.


No, it doesn't. :) I want to exit I-80 at 84th, turn right & look north, and see a nice, wide street w/ medians leading north to Dodge. It would also be nice for the south suburbs to have a convenient, straight connection to West Dodge Road, imo, at 84th & 72nd both.

Why should somebody traveling west on I-80, and who wants to go to Methodist Hospital (or something other around 84th & Dodge), have to exit 72nd and take another 12-15 minutes sitting through traffic north on 72nd, then west on Dodge? Or, have to exit 84th St, head north, and either travel west to 90th, then backtrack east to the hospital on Dodge? Or, at 84th & Center, have to turn right, go several blocks, and find the little windy neighborhood street that leads you north to Dodge? It just is a hassle.


Sound like a good case for public transit.
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby RockHarbor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09 pm

MTO: I guess so! :)
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 am

It would be nice if they quickly completed the part of this project that blocks a lane of westbound Pacific street.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Busguy2010 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:50 pm

I don't know how long 84th has been open, but I used it last night. It seems pretty freshly opened. I'll be honest, I'm completely underwhelmed. For it to be closed as long as it was, I'd expected it to be a three lane road.

Since it appears very well finished, I fully expect the road to remain two lanes for at least another decade... So I wonder, what problem did this fix?

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 pm

They didn’t make it three lanes? I thought that was one of the main points of this.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Busguy2010 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:They didn’t make it three lanes? I thought that was one of the main points of this.


Yeah, me too! It's just like it was only in concrete and with real storm drains.

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby bigredmed1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:16 pm

It's three lanes in the south end. Lots of widening, esp the sidewalks.

Busguy2010
Human Relations
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: North Central Omaha

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby Busguy2010 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:It's three lanes in the south end. Lots of widening, esp the sidewalks.


It's always been three lanes at Pacific. They added a turn lane at Farnam, but this is in no way now a three lane road.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 84th street Methodist to pacific (street widening?)

Postby MTO » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah WOW all that work for jack ßhit!! That was a |expletive| waist of tax payer resources.
15-17, 26, 32


Return to “Transportation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest