Streetlight replacement with LED's

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Streetlight replacement with LED's

Post by skinzfan23 »

While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

skinzfan23 wrote:While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.
Because OPPD currently owns the street lights in Omaha. There was an article in the Weird Herald about this not too long ago.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

EricHaley wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:While in CB the other night, I noticed that even quite a few lights in residential neighborhoods have been converted to LED. Not quite sure why Omaha is lacking in this so much.
Because OPPD currently owns the street lights in Omaha. There was an article in the Weird Herald about this not too long ago.
Here in the Des Moines metro the Utility owns the street lights as well. They are switching them all to LED, one by one as they burn out. It is a spattering of LED and Sodium lights here in the DSM metro right now. I would say 25% converted to LED right now? Definitely more in some areas. I believe they originally said this would take 10 years to complete but that may have moved this up to only 7 years. It makes total sense, lots less maintenance and electricity consumption. Long term financial sense for MidAmerican is why they are doing it. I don't understand why OPPD doesn't see this same benefit. At the very least, install new subdivisions and streets with LED, it is crazy not to, I don't understand.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

joleo wrote:
EricHaley wrote:
Here in the Des Moines metro the Utility owns the street lights as well. They are switching them all to LED, one by one as they burn out. It is a spattering of LED and Sodium lights here in the DSM metro right now. I would say 25% converted to LED right now? Definitely more in some areas. I believe they originally said this would take 10 years to complete but that may have moved this up to only 7 years. It makes total sense, lots less maintenance and electricity consumption. Long term financial sense for MidAmerican is why they are doing it. I don't understand why OPPD doesn't see this same benefit. At the very least, install new subdivisions and streets with LED, it is crazy not to, I don't understand.
Unlike our neighbors across the river, Nebraskans aren’t ones to be very forward thinking. It’s getting better but a lot of people who don’t want change are the leaders in Omaha.
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

EricHaley wrote:
To pay for road repairs, Omaha City Council considers redirecting money from streetlight maintenance fund
Roseann Moring - World-Herald staff writer wrote:OPPD owns the city’s streetlights, which it estimates are valued at about $45 million. The city leases them and contracts with OPPD for their maintenance and the energy to run them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting in the article where it says they should be exploring LED streetlights. To me it seems like plenty of other cities have already done all the exploring. They should have picked on by now and even if they do ZERO replacement for the time being, all new lights should be LED. There are how many new SID's going online this year and not one of them has LED?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's too early to decide on a street lamp upgrade citywide. The minimum number of studies haven't been performed yet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In the past week and a half, I have been to Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri... You know which State had far and away the most LED lights?

Wyoming... They were everywhere! Even the high mast interchange lighting on the interstate was all LED! The most conservative and rural state of the bunch had the most LED lights...

So Wyoming had the most, Iowa and Colorado had about the same and tied for second, and Nebraska had the least.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. How many miles did you put on Elmer?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Wow. How many miles did you put on Elmer?
Looks Like 3119 for the Wyoming / Colorado portion of the trip. The Kansas City trip was in my wife's car. Averaged 26.9 MPG too.
IMG_6035.jpg
IMG_6035.jpg (128.03 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote: Wyoming... They were everywhere! Even the high mast interchange lighting on the interstate was all LED! The most conservative and rural state of the bunch had the most LED lights..
Nice to see a "conservative" state decide to do something that actually conserves resources!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was over in my parent's neighborhood on the northwest side of Council Bluffs and notice that all the streetlights have been replaced with LEDs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I was over in my parent's neighborhood on the northwest side of Council Bluffs and notice that all the streetlights have been replaced with LEDs.
Wonder if there was some sort of state wide grant. When I went though Little Sioux last weekend, it looked like the whole town was switched over too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are a half dozen or so LED streetlights long the elevated portion west dodge expressway now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I noticed the other night that the new (although I think temporary) streetlights at 132 and Giles are LED.

I also noticed some LED Streetlights in Lincoln.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

It looks like the street lights on Chicago between 22nd and 24th are LED
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

JPenny wrote:It looks like the street lights on Chicago between 22nd and 24th are LED
I saw some on Friday night on Woolworth between 45th and 48th. I didn't get a good look, but they didn't seem nearly as bright as the lights Iowa uses.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.ketv.com/article/oppd-rolls- ... s/19459413
Omaha Public Power District has announced plans to replace nearly 100,000 high-pressure sodium street lights across its 13-county service territory with LED fixtures.

"There's no lamp or bulb to unscrew or take off," Customer Service for Government and Infrastructure Director Steven Fanslau said.

Fanslau explained that the new fixtures use 30 percent less energy, last three times as long- reducing daily maintenance work- and improve visibility for pedestrians and drivers.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

About time!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I totally understand this from an efficiency standpoint, but I find them to be so unsettling. Too bright in my opinion.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like it is going to take about 5 years to fully implement them.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'm proud to announce that after reading a article in the OWH that OPPD will be going full speed ahead with replacing Omaha's aging light system with LEDS! Apparently it will cost $39 Million to replace the entire network of street light's at once instead of waiting on old light's to burn out.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

OPPD Set To Replace Old-Fashioned Streetlights With LEDs Starting In January

Post by mrsticka »

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Lincoln already has.

https://www.omaha.com/money/oppd-set-to ... 21097.html
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: OPPD Set To Replace Old-Fashioned Streetlights With LEDs Starting In January

Post by Busguy2010 »

Aw man, I really do not care for how bright the new ones are.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Re: OPPD Set To Replace Old-Fashioned Streetlights With LEDs Starting In January

Post by buildomaha »

It’s about time! Also, most people don’t realize that the wavelength that Sodium lamps emit is the absolute worst for human eyes to detect contrasts in color (lane lines, dark colored cars, pedestrians). This will be great for the city!
#gohawks
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I really like the LEDs for highway lighting, but I am curious to see how they play out in a neighborhood setting.

My parents live in CB and although the lights are brighter they don't light up the whole street like the old ones, so in between blocks there are huge dark voids.

I recently purchased a house on a corner lot and hope that the 3 lights that are near aren't too bright when switched over. I like having some dark in my yard, especially if you are out swimming at night or trying to see stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 pm I really like the LEDs for highway lighting, but I am curious to see how they play out in a neighborhood setting.
I'm there with you. I think they're appropriate on highways and main streets, but I feel like they'll be inappropriately bright in a neighborhood setting, just my feel on them. If you want a good idea how they work in a neighborhood setting, go west on Woolworth from 42nd. Its the most complete LED neighborhood I know of.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 pm I really like the LEDs for highway lighting, but I am curious to see how they play out in a neighborhood setting.

My parents live in CB and although the lights are brighter they don't light up the whole street like the old ones, so in between blocks there are huge dark voids.

I recently purchased a house on a corner lot and hope that the 3 lights that are near aren't too bright when switched over. I like having some dark in my yard, especially if you are out swimming at night or trying to see stars.
Just have to keep your suit on! ;)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I am glad to see this change taking place, these lights are much safer for pedestrians. In my experience they are much brighter than sodium, but much more concentrated in aiming at the street. Backyards shouldn't be interrupted too much, but neighborhood kick the can games may be on their last legs now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is an example of what I am worried about: There is no doubt the LEDs light the street better and the light is mostly aimed at the streets but you can also see how much it lights up the trees next to the street. I am just worried about the bright light shining through our bedroom windows mostly. Hopefully that won't be the case because our house isn't as close to the road as those trees, but it is still a concern I have.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:39 pm Here is an example of what I am worried about: There is no doubt the LEDs light the street better and the light is mostly aimed at the streets but you can also see how much it lights up the trees next to the street. I am just worried about the bright light shining through our bedroom windows mostly. Hopefully that won't be the case because our house isn't as close to the road as those trees, but it is still a concern I have.
I actually drove down that stretch of Woolworth last night after work to see if they are as bright as I remembered and yeah, I could see that the fronts of those houses were markedly more lit than the ones down the street. My house is close to two streetlights, each about 50-75 feet away and I'm certain my property will be well lit, which I don't want.

Now, I do understand the impact these will have for pedestrians, as I do walk to and from work often. Yeah its kinda hard to see when walking, but if I had my say I would take a more peacefully lit neighborhood that a spotlit one that I can see better in. It gets dark at night and we plants and animals have evolved to expect that it gets dark every night, so this is yet another matter forcing us to become more unnatural. We'll see how it goes. Maybe it won't be so bad, or this will be another reason to move out to the country.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

They did say they are going to use a lower-wattage for residential streets.
OPPD chose a lower-wattage, 100-watt light for most residential streets, those not along major roadways that have to be lit brighter under U.S. Department of Transportation rules.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:26 pm They did say they are going to use a lower-wattage for residential streets.
OPPD chose a lower-wattage, 100-watt light for most residential streets, those not along major roadways that have to be lit brighter under U.S. Department of Transportation rules.
Its good to know they're cognizant of that, but I'm basing my views on the ones they currently have in operation in neighborhoods.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

buildomaha wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:56 pm It’s about time! Also, most people don’t realize that the wavelength that Sodium lamps emit is the absolute worst for human eyes to detect contrasts in color (lane lines, dark colored cars, pedestrians). This will be great for the city!
I can actually remember when street lights were blue. The ones in my old neighborhood on X Street just off 108th were powered with them.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mrsticka wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:36 am
buildomaha wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:56 pm It’s about time! Also, most people don’t realize that the wavelength that Sodium lamps emit is the absolute worst for human eyes to detect contrasts in color (lane lines, dark colored cars, pedestrians). This will be great for the city!
I can actually remember when street lights were blue. The ones in my old neighborhood on X Street just off 108th were powered with them.
Weren't the sodium arc lamps an attempt to get bright light, with less energy than the old incandescent bulbs (the blue ones were what we had growing up in Benson and old Millard also, then they got changed to the orange glow. Cool biology class experiments in college. The sodium lamps only give off light in one frequency so you either see it or don't. Everything looks black and white (or atleast more so than you would get with sunlight.)
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 am
Weren't the sodium arc lamps an attempt to get bright light, with less energy than the old incandescent bulbs (the blue ones were what we had growing up in Benson and old Millard also, then they got changed to the orange glow. Cool biology class experiments in college. The sodium lamps only give off light in one frequency so you either see it or don't. Everything looks black and white (or atleast more so than you would get with sunlight.)
The blueish lights Omaha once had were Mercury Vapor, which replaced the much less-efficient incandescent lights, starting sometime in the 1970s, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure when they switched over to the even more efficient Low Pressure or High Pressure Sodium lights, probably in the 1990s. Mercury Vapor and HPS/LPS give terrible color rendition. LED's can be much better for efficiency and color rendition index (CRI), depending on the color temperature and CRI selected.

More streetlight history:
https://www.afterglowtech.com/street-li ... ts-basics/
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Thanks
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

GetUrban wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 am
The blueish lights Omaha once had were Mercury Vapor, which replaced the much less-efficient incandescent lights, starting sometime in the 1970s, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure when they switched over to the even more efficient Low Pressure or High Pressure Sodium lights, probably in the 1990s. Mercury Vapor and HPS/LPS give terrible color rendition. LED's can be much better for efficiency and color rendition index (CRI), depending on the color temperature and CRI selected.

More streetlight history:
https://www.afterglowtech.com/street-li ... ts-basics/
I remember seeing sodium bulbs around Omaha back in the 80's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't wait. As photographer I hate all the orange light given off by the old lights. The LED light is so clean, its awesome!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:42 pm I can't wait. As photographer I hate all the orange light given off by the old lights. The LED light is so clean, its awesome!
Do you remember the old blue-green lights?