Median Landscaping

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Median Landscaping

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I wish Dodge St looked that nice. It would be great if there were trees like that in the medians.
skinzfan23's post reminded me of something...

They have recently removed well established grass in parts or all of several medians along West Center from Aksarben Village to at least 90th Street. They replaced the grass with mulch, and there are wooden steaks down the middle, which I am assuming is where they will plant trees.

I like nice landscaping, however the city doesn't have a good track record of maintaining landscaping in medians. Why remove established grass and replace it with much which I guarantee will be full of weeds in a year.

Just look at West Dodge from 108 to 120. It looks bad every spring, then they clean it up for Berkshire/CWS, and then let it go for a whole year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Median Landscaping

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree. Another example of this is in Papillion on 96th St just north of Hwy 370. They have grassy medians with trees, but 1/2 the trees are dead or in sad shape. The nice thought is there, but like anything in life, if you aren't going to continually follow through, it might be better to go with a more simple design.

There is also an area on 72nd street in Papillion between Hwy 370 and Cedardale Rd where they redid the sidewalks and boulevards last year and only put in pavement on every other ft section on the boulevard. In between is dirt and some grasses. Well, as you guessed it with all the salt they use on the roads, the grasses died and now look terrible.

Here is the area I am talking about:

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree. Another example of this is in Papillion on 96th St just north of Hwy 370. They have grassy medians with trees, but 1/2 the trees are dead or in sad shape. The nice thought is there, but like anything in life, if you aren't going to continually follow through, it might be better to go with a more simple design.

There is also an area on 72nd street in Papillion between Hwy 370 and Cedardale Rd where they redid the sidewalks and boulevards last year and only put in pavement on every other 2ft section on the boulevard. In between is dirt and some grasses. Well, as you guessed it with all the salt they use on the roads, the grasses died and now look terrible.
I could be wrong, but I think I noticed them replacing the grasses just last week.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Maybe they did replace them, which would be nice, but that design is going to require constant maintenance or replacement every year.