168th closure (Dodge to Maple)

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cafereef
Home Owners Association

168th closure (Dodge to Maple)

Post by cafereef »

Saw this on the news last night. Where I cannot dispute that it needs to be done, I also find it very surprising that the city would make the move to close this major thoroughfare without having 180th as a viable alternative path. With 156th only being two lane (one lane each direction) it will get destroyed by the extra traffic having to circumvent 168th every day. I will give Omaha's planning and city engineers credit where credit is due, but the city, at least in my opinion, has significantly dropped the ball with roadway expansion in the last 10-15 years. 180th from Center to Dodge is a nightmare as well at times, but at least they got the dedicated turn lane in at Pacific to alleviate some of the pain. I see the 168th street project being the first of many painful road closures to come. From what I can think of, off the top of my head for West Omaha, the list should include:

168th: Dodge to Maple (clearly planned)
156th: Dodge to Maple
168th: Harrison to after Giles
180th: Center to Dodge
180th: Dodge to Maple

thoughts?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Re: 168th closure (Dodge to Maple)

Post by buildomaha »

This is just gonna be a huge headache to get from Bennington to work off 168 and Dodge.
#gohawks
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

buildomaha wrote:This is just gonna be a huge headache to get from Bennington to work off 168 and Dodge.
Did you go to the town hall meeting and tell them it will be a huge headache? Why can't you take 156th or 192nd?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
buildomaha wrote:This is just gonna be a huge headache to get from Bennington to work off 168 and Dodge.
Did you go to the town hall meeting and tell them it will be a huge headache? Why can't you take 156th or 192nd?
I can take 156, 192nd is extremely out of the way. But 156 is only 2 lanes and it's already falling apart. It will end up taking twice as long to get to work for me is all I'm saying. They didn't really plan it out well enough to have either 156 widened or 180th connected to itself.
#gohawks
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Here's some info for you:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/heavily ... b00c6.html
City officials said the 168th Street project ranks ahead of work on 156th and 180th Streets because 168th is locally funded, while the two other jobs are partially funded with federal dollars. Such projects carry additional requirements and restrictions.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Here's some info for you:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/heavily ... b00c6.html
City officials said the 168th Street project ranks ahead of work on 156th and 180th Streets because 168th is locally funded, while the two other jobs are partially funded with federal dollars. Such projects carry additional requirements and restrictions.
I agree with why they are doing 168th before 156th, funding matters, I fully get that. My issue with it, is that they waited this long to do it. Why wait for something to get to the point of it being as bad as it has been to fix it? I mean I am not the city engineer, I am certain they have their reasons and it is fully logical. Kind of like how I swear I could be the better Husker football coach, but there is probably a reason they arnt calling me up to do the job :)
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Honestly, 168th should have been widened 10+ years ago before traffic got so heavy to call it painful. I'm sorry, I very rarely go west of 680 and it truly is a different life. How are things out there?
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Busguy2010 wrote:Honestly, 168th should have been widened 10+ years ago before traffic got so heavy to call it painful. I'm sorry, I very rarely go west of 680 and it truly is a different life. How are things out there?
This is what has me worried about Maple. Maple west of 180th is in rough shape. after winter, the city will eventually get around to filling pot holes, winter 2015 was horrific, there were parts of the road that if a motorcycle went over would have resulted in an accident and really was just not safe. and it isnt getting any better. personally, I think it was done poorly the first time it was poured or something, it doesnt have much for traffic, compared to the rest of the city, but is in shambles at times. The city should really consider redoing it, before the city grows much more this way, which in the next 2 years will really fill up.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Busguy2010 wrote:Honestly, 168th should have been widened 10+ years ago
The city really dropped the ball on widening 132nd, 156th, 168th. The extra lane on 168th north of Dodge helps a bit though. 132nd north of dodge was hilarious (if you remember). The new work at 132nd and Pacific seems to be moving at a good pace though.

Busguy2010 wrote:I'm sorry, I very rarely go west of 680 and it truly is a different life. How are things out there?
Since somebody mentioned Bennington.....wow! There's so much residential development, it's crazy.
Pacific street development is almost all built up to the Elkhorn river. There are so many new bars and restaurants. Dodge has heavy traffic until 180th street. As a lifelong resident, it is mindblowing how much it has all changed in the last 10-15 years.

There's pretty much no need to go east of I-680 anymore. I only crossover for Westroads, Benson and Casual Pint.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote: There's pretty much no need to go east of I-680 anymore. I only crossover for Westroads, Benson and Casual Pint.
I agree, I have worked off 204th and Q for the last year and a half now, since then, I have only gone East of 680 to go to the zoo, the airport, and once to Kansas City...I live a sheltered life haha
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Busguy2010 wrote:Honestly, 168th should have been widened 10+ years ago before traffic got so heavy to call it painful. I'm sorry, I very rarely go west of 680 and it truly is a different life. How are things out there?
When 168th was built out to 3 lanes in the early 2000's Village Point and the 168th and Maple Walmart were both under construction. As well as much of the residential development north of Maple. With a higher investment of money and no additional time a full four lane divided road could have been in place for 15 years. There is nobody involved in the original project that didn't know that eventually 168th would be widened. At least if a four lane bridge had been built and land acquired at the time the road could now be upgraded with out shutting down completely.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
When 168th was built out to 3 lanes in the early 2000's Village Point and the 168th and Maple Walmart were both under construction. As well as much of the residential development north of Maple. With a higher investment of money and no additional time a full four lane divided road could have been in place for 15 years. There is nobody involved in the original project that didn't know that eventually 168th would be widened. At least if a four lane bridge had been built and land acquired at the time the road could now be upgraded with out shutting down completely.
A four lane bridge was built at that time… The bridge isn’t the reason for closing the entire stretch.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
Same thing with Harrison west of 144th. Years ago they closed it to cut down the hill some and make three lanes. Everyone was thinking they were going to make it four lanes at the time. But nope, they decided to make it three knowing damn well they would have to go back in another 10-15 years and redo it again.

It seems like they do this to save money but in the long run they spend more. It's just pure stupidity.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Its a city, and even statewide issue. There is zero forward thinking with anything. We are a react state rather than a plan ahead state. It seems like we always have to wait until roads are so congested that they're not functional anymore, to get them widened to the standard they should have already been at. This is part of the reason our interstate system in Omaha is so anemic.
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Public Invited to 168th Street Construction Meeting

Construction plans for the 168th Street corridor between West Dodge Road and West Maple Road will be presented during a pre-construction meeting hosted by the City of Omaha and Douglas County.

The City will explain the construction-related closure of 168th Street, construction phasing, and will introduce the contractor hired to build the project.

168th Street between West Dodge Road and West Maple Road is a vital corridor that serves the City, Douglas County and travelers in the northwest region of Omaha. Increasing traffic volumes have made travel difficult during peak hours and according to Gayle Sturdivant, Transportation Design Division Manager, “We understand the inconvenience experienced due to the closure, yet we are excited to deliver this much needed project to this area of the city sooner than originally planned.”

Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Doors Open: 6:30 p.m.
Short Presentation: 6:50 p.m. (followed by an Open House)
Doors Close: 8:00 p.m.
Location: Manchester Elementary School 2750 N HWS Cleveland Blvd Omaha, NE 68116

If you are unable to attend, learn more about the project at http://www.KeepOmahaMoving.com.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

168th is Closed.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Even though the closure is going to be headache, it will all be worth at end.

There's going to be a stop light on 168th & Seward once the widening is complete. I'm surprised that there won't be one on 168th & Dora Hamann. but traffic engineers claim a signal will never be warranted there. I figured with all those intersections, at least two new stop lights would be added.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That's rough... I read this thread the other day. I am SO GLAD they are widening 168th & 156th north of Dodge, but what a nightmare of orange cones & barrels for awhile...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Last time I was out there (last week), the west lanes were poured nearly halfway between Dodge and Blondo and sound walls were up between Blondo and Maple.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

obvious2677 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:32 am Last time I was out there (last week), the west lanes were poured nearly halfway between Dodge and Blondo and sound walls were up between Blondo and Maple.
Drove by this afternoon. the west lanes are poured all the way to Blondo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

obvious2677 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:57 pm
obvious2677 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:32 am Last time I was out there (last week), the west lanes were poured nearly halfway between Dodge and Blondo and sound walls were up between Blondo and Maple.
I heard on the radio this morning during the traffic report that the 168th and Blondo intersection is scheduled to open tomorrow (Tuesday 6/26). Not sure what rain would do to that.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Brad wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am
obvious2677 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I heard on the radio this morning during the traffic report that the 168th and Blondo intersection is scheduled to open tomorrow (Tuesday 6/26). Not sure what rain would do to that.
Blondo Street is open.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

obvious2677 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm Blondo Street is open.
Just got an email saying that too.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

How long until 168th follows suit?
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm excited. Love Omaha's suburbs more with thick ribbons of streets running N-S-E-W between the subdivisions w/ sidewalks, medians, soundwalls, block walls, landscaping. It looks & feels so much nicer than just a crowded 2-lane road with weedy ditches and no sidewalks on both sides. It doesnt feel "urban" that way -- although you sit in long lines of traffic that are "urban."
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Louie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 am How long until 168th follows suit?
168th is poured south of Blondo as of the other day - both lanes. They likely could connect sewers, paint lines and open traffic to Blondo shortly - but I don't know if they will. North of Blondo is coming along, but not close to complete. They allowed traffic to cross 168th via Burdette Street throughout this project (cutting through the neighborhoods) - and I'm sure that meant 168th north of Blondo was going to be completed later than south of Blondo.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

obvious2677 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:41 am
Louie wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:36 am How long until 168th follows suit?
168th is poured south of Blondo as of the other day - both lanes. They likely could connect sewers, paint lines and open traffic to Blondo shortly - but I don't know if they will. North of Blondo is coming along, but not close to complete. They allowed traffic to cross 168th via Burdette Street throughout this project (cutting through the neighborhoods) - and I'm sure that meant 168th north of Blondo was going to be completed later than south of Blondo.
Drove out there again this weekend. The cut-through on Burdette is still there... so 168th from Blondo to Bedford is likely a 'phase 3' aspect of the project. I'm guessing they open to Blondo and then finish up the north segment.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Sidewalks are in along Blondo. The covers over the lights are off, the lights are functioning.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

This is open now.