Historic Omaha Streetcar Route

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Historic Omaha Streetcar Route

Post by Coyote »

Back in January Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture and Restoration Exchange Omaha, conducted an Intensive Level Historic Building Survey of buildings and objects along the historic Omaha & Council Bluffs Street Railway routes seeking information related to the historic buildings and their cultural heritage. Results were supposed to be posted at https://landmark.cityofomaha.org/reconnaissance-surveys

Now the City Council wants Alley Poyner Macchietto to conduct an intensive level survey to document and evaluate historic resources associated with the historic streetcar route in order to update the local inventory of historic places. I could only find the map they were using, but it is interesting how they planned these routes along certain business districts and how it 'planned' the city's development at an early stage in the life of the city.

Taco
Human Relations

Re: Historic Omaha Streetcar Route

Post by Taco »

Somehow I had never come across the landmarks website, what a goldmine for anyone interested in Omaha's history. The level of research they have put into each neighborhood is top notch. Coyote, do you have a link to that picture of the streetcar routes? I'd like to see a higher quality image. Right now all I have is a scanned copy from the 40s and I'd love to see how they match up (because it appears there are differences).
Coyote
City Council

Re: Historic Omaha Streetcar Route

Post by Coyote »

Taco wrote:Coyote, do you have a link to that picture of the streetcar routes? I'd like to see a higher quality image. Right now all I have is a scanned copy from the 40s and I'd love to see how they match up (because it appears there are differences).
http://bancroftstreetmarket.com/wp-cont ... m-city.pdf