Complete Streets

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Taco
Human Relations

Complete Streets

Post by Taco »

I had been following the development of a Complete Streets policy for Omaha (completestreetsomaha.org), but haven't heard anything about the policy or implementation in some time and was wondering if anyone had updates. I remember a few community events regarding N 30th st and S 24th st where opening up our streets for multiple transportation uses was discussed and discussion of a road diet for S 13th st. I also specifically remember community led discussion about Center street between 42nd and Hanscom park being developed with more pedestrian friendly uses.

Does anyone know if there have been any results from these meetings or if any changes are planned? Or of any other locations in Omaha where the complete streets policy is being implemented?

I would love to have a way to follow development of bike lanes, road diets, and complete streets in Omaha but don't know where to look!
nebraska
Library Board

Re: Complete Streets

Post by nebraska »

Taco wrote:I would love to have a way to follow development of bike lanes, road diets, and complete streets in Omaha but don't know where to look!
Local Websites Urban Planning Websites News Progress Suggestions
  • Jeff Speck (as quoted from the Omaha.com article): "Narrowing standard 12-foot traffic lanes in Omaha’s downtown core to 10 feet."
  • Jeff Speck: "Turn as many of the city’s downtown multiple-lane one-way streets as feasible into two-way streets."
  • me: street name signs shouldn't point only in the direction of traffic (street names on one-way streets only face the drivers, pedestrians left in the dark about street names if heading in the other direction
  • me: city campaign reminding drivers how to stop at stop signs and not entering crosswalks at a red-light (seriously people, get the fck out of the crosswalks)
  • complete street: designated bus stops free from parked cars (buses need to stop curbside, not one lane out because of parked cars)
  • complete street: reclaim road space for sidewalks, enforcing minimum widths (at least 42") (ever walk along Dodge Street? 5 lanes for cars 5" for pedestrians...)
Participate
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Ralston has adapted this policy as well: http://mapacog.org/calendar/news/ralsto ... ts-policy/

That makes Omaha, Bellevue and Ralston.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Did anyone attend the meeting about the S 13th street project? Curious to hear what was discussed

Also if there has been any recent news about the ideas to reduce the lanes on Center from 42nd to Hanscom park
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I went to the first meeting, but didn't make the most recent one. Mostly they said they really want to make some safety changes to slow traffic down, but they also want to be respectful to the long time light industry and auto business owners on the corridor.

I think most of the notable changes will be 13th in the core with a separated bike lane and making that bridge just south of the Old Market a lot more attractive. Further south is mostly street landscaping and fixing the sidewalks.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

What is their beautifying plan for the bridge?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

iamjacobm wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm I went to the first meeting, but didn't make the most recent one. Mostly they said they really want to make some safety changes to slow traffic down, but they also want to be respectful to the long time light industry and auto business owners on the corridor.

I think most of the notable changes will be 13th in the core with a separated bike lane and making that bridge just south of the Old Market a lot more attractive. Further south is mostly street landscaping and fixing the sidewalks.
Separated bike lane in Omaha? I must be dreaming...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Louie wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm What is their beautifying plan for the bridge?
Mostly cleaning it up, better lighting and landscape the area.

Here is the link to the roadway concepts.
http://www.13thstreetwalkability.com/up ... boards.pdf

Website for the project.
http://www.13thstreetwalkability.com/
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 am
Louie wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm What is their beautifying plan for the bridge?
Mostly cleaning it up, better lighting and landscape the area.

Here is the link to the roadway concepts.
http://www.13thstreetwalkability.com/up ... boards.pdf

Website for the project.
http://www.13thstreetwalkability.com/
Cool thanks
hav4
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hav4 »

We need to get rid of all one-way streets in the metro yesterday.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

hav4 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm We need to get rid of all one-way streets in the metro yesterday.
No. One way streets are significantly more pedestrian friendly.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Garrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 am
hav4 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm We need to get rid of all one-way streets in the metro yesterday.
Whether one-way or two-way are more pedestrian friendly is debatable, you get less turning in one-way but much higher average speeds which are very deadly for pedestrians.

Also two-way streets encourage commercial activity which makes an area more desirable for pedestrians.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Dundeemaha wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 am
Garrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 am No. One way streets are significantly more pedestrian friendly.
Whether one-way or two-way are more pedestrian friendly is debatable, you get less turning in one-way but much higher average speeds which are very deadly for pedestrians.
Speed can be adjusted via traffic light timing.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ScrattyB wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm
Garrett wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 am No. One way streets are significantly more pedestrian friendly.
Speed can be adjusted via traffic light timing.
Manhattan is the most pedestrian friendly place in the country and is almost exclusively one way streets. Most of the outer boroughs are the same.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

There are a lot of urbanites that would strongly disagree with that. Jeff speck is the main one that comes to mind.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

two-way streets encourage commercial activity which makes an area more desirable for pedestrians.
This ^ ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's an update on the implementation of Omaha's Complete Streets plan for Crown Point Avenue between 72nd and Blair High Road. It will consist of a two lane road diet, use of roundabouts instead of traffic lights and 10 wide multi use trail on both sides. Public response was fairly negative on the road diet, but the road is reportedly overbuilt for current traffic.

https://www.omaha.com/news/plus/omaha-s ... 6ac0d.html
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Sounds like most of the traffic it was built for in the 70s has moved to another arterial so they were never considering keeping 4 lanes. Glad to see them add the trail, I guess the alternative would be to return the right of way to the adjacent properties?
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

ita wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am Here's an update on the implementation of Omaha's Complete Streets plan for Crown Point Avenue between 72nd and Blair High Road. It will consist of a two lane road diet, use of roundabouts instead of traffic lights and 10 wide multi use trail on both sides. Public response was fairly negative on the road diet, but the road is reportedly overbuilt for current traffic.

https://www.omaha.com/news/plus/omaha-s ... 6ac0d.html
I like the trail idea. Much better than painting a bicycle on the road and calling it a bike lane. Thought I have to admit I can’t remember places where they have actually removed lanes from the road.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

nebraska wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 am
Taco wrote:I would love to have a way to follow development of bike lanes, road diets, and complete streets in Omaha but don't know where to look!
Local Websites Urban Planning Websites News Progress Suggestions
  • Jeff Speck (as quoted from the Omaha.com article): "Narrowing standard 12-foot traffic lanes in Omaha’s downtown core to 10 feet."
  • Jeff Speck: "Turn as many of the city’s downtown multiple-lane one-way streets as feasible into two-way streets."
  • me: street name signs shouldn't point only in the direction of traffic (street names on one-way streets only face the drivers, pedestrians left in the dark about street names if heading in the other direction
  • me: city campaign reminding drivers how to stop at stop signs and not entering crosswalks at a red-light (seriously people, get the fck out of the crosswalks)
  • complete street: designated bus stops free from parked cars (buses need to stop curbside, not one lane out because of parked cars)
  • complete street: reclaim road space for sidewalks, enforcing minimum widths (at least 42") (ever walk along Dodge Street? 5 lanes for cars 5" for pedestrians...)
Participate
https://twitter.com/jeffspeckfaicp/stat ... 8594290690

Jeff Speck is boycotting Omaha because the city hasn't seriously taken much action on his suggestions since his last visit. Kind of sad.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The firm I work for was part of a team that submitted an SOQ for the upcoming Omaha Bike Master Plan. I thought our team was composed of an all star list of local and national firms who do good and implementable work, but we did not get selected. So, we’ll see how that goes…
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm The firm I work for was part of a team that submitted an SOQ for the upcoming Omaha Bike Master Plan. I thought our team was composed of an all star list of local and national firms who do good and implementable work, but we did not get selected. So, we’ll see how that goes…
Yikes, you got me worried about one of the more exciting things happening in the City.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

ita wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 pm
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm The firm I work for was part of a team that submitted an SOQ for the upcoming Omaha Bike Master Plan. I thought our team was composed of an all star list of local and national firms who do good and implementable work, but we did not get selected. So, we’ll see how that goes…
Yikes, you got me worried about one of the more exciting things happening in the City.
Seems that the revolving door at city hall and the rest of the municipal government has gotten out of hand under stothert. It’s why many of us felt that despite her not-so-terrible terms, that it was her time to move on.

When we are passing or failing on amazing opportunities in favor of campaign donors, we end up with lackluster results. :/
#gohawks
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Mr. Speck gave me an updated "boycott" a couple of weeks ago:
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

There are couple potential TIP's related to the Complete Streets initiative:

https://mapacog.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... nStudy.pdf
This is going to look at and prioritize one way to two way street conversions, road diets, lane width reductions, and other improvements to configuration and landscaping in the urban core. It's a good first step, but should have been done years ago.

https://mapacog.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -Study.pdf
This study will look at possible multimodal improvements to this stretch for very car centric road.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Apparently, the bike and ped plan is still in the works. First stakeholder meeting is sometime this week.

'We're about 20 years behind': Improving bike and pedestrian safety in the City of Omaha
Isabella Basco
Pedestrian fatalities are rising, according to the numbers from the Nebraska Department of Transportation. Since 2016, 20 people died annually and 400 were injured.

3 News Now talked to people in downtown Omaha to learn more about what's behind the issue and what are the biggest problems people have when it comes to driving safely.

Whether they're cyclists, pedestrians or motorists, Omaha-area residents have one thing in common: they have frustrations with how parts of the city are laid out.

"The other day, I was riding my bike out in Old Mill. I'm going around trying to get onto Dodge Street and some big truck was behind me. There was nowhere for me to get off and get out of his way," resident Robert Glaser said.

"You come across Interstate 480 — I exited on the Harney Street exit there's not really any signage that says there's a bike path," Guy Robarge said.

They also dislike the lack of bike lanes and pedestrian-friendly options.

The City of Omaha has its Vision Zero approach, which works toward zero traffic deaths and has been around here for three years. A consultant hired last month should have a report ready next year.

The Vision Zero report would be used to determine any changes and it can't come soon enough for cyclists like Glaser.

"We're about 20 years behind," Glaser said.

The bike and pedestrian master plan is in the works with the city right now and the first stakeholder meeting is scheduled for next week. Council President Pete Festersen says their plan for Vision Zero is just getting started and would have liked to see it move quicker.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I'm really curious who was selected to complete the plan. I was hoping they'd mention a name in the article.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 am I'm really curious who was selected to complete the plan. I was hoping they'd mention a name in the article.
There is a website (not much on it yet) with a contact for Kevin Carder, with the City. Maybe he has the information?

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9d ... 9b9c85409c
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

ita wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:46 am
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 am I'm really curious who was selected to complete the plan. I was hoping they'd mention a name in the article.
There is a website (not much on it yet) with a contact for Kevin Carder, with the City. Maybe he has the information?

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9d ... 9b9c85409c
This website has just been updated with a public survey, interactive maps, among other things.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Omaha plans open house events to talk about mobility master plan
Omaha residents who want to give the city feedback about its plans for improving pedestrian and bicycling experiences in the city will have a chance to share their thoughts at upcoming open house meetings.

The city said Thursday that it would host two such meetings in November:

5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9, at The Venue at Highlander, located at 2120 N. 30th St.
5-7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10, at the UNO’s Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, located at 6400 University Drive South.

Members of the city’s planning department will be on hand to answer any questions about the vision for “a more complete and connected network for walking, bicycling, and other ‘active mobility’ travel modes serving all areas of the city.”

According to Thursday’s release, Omaha’s proposal will prioritize trail corridors and bike facilities as well as improvements to sidewalks and crossings.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:07 am Omaha plans open house events to talk about mobility master plan
Omaha residents who want to give the city feedback about its plans for improving pedestrian and bicycling experiences in the city will have a chance to share their thoughts at upcoming open house meetings.

The city said Thursday that it would host two such meetings in November:

5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9, at The Venue at Highlander, located at 2120 N. 30th St.
5-7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 10, at the UNO’s Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, located at 6400 University Drive South.

Members of the city’s planning department will be on hand to answer any questions about the vision for “a more complete and connected network for walking, bicycling, and other ‘active mobility’ travel modes serving all areas of the city.”

According to Thursday’s release, Omaha’s proposal will prioritize trail corridors and bike facilities as well as improvements to sidewalks and crossings.
Thank you, Ita. I put these on my calendar too!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Just getting this out there again: open houses regarding to the mobility plan is this week. Here's the information again.

Open House #1
Wednesday, November 9, 2022, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. The Venue at The Highlander 2120 N. 30th St. Omaha

Open House #2
Thursday, November 10, 2022, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Barbara Weitz Community Engagement Center, Rm 205 University of Nebraska Omaha 6400 University Drive South
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

ModeShift hosted Kevin Carder from the City to talk about the bike and pedestrian master plan. Here is the presentation.

I think this is an important point for those who want to see more multimodal infrastructure.
In response to a question about how to ensure strong implementation, Kevin encouraged Mode Shift and the public to share with officials how much existing infrastructure is appreciated, and the benefits of having an on-street bike system and better walkability. He mentioned that many stakeholders don’t appreciate the benefits provided by strong bike and pedestrian infrastructure.
skip
Home Owners Association

Post by skip »

Wow this is the first time for me hearing about the Bike/Pedestrian master plan. I am very glad to see something like this being worked on in Omaha since this city is so car-centric. Hopefully this plan comes to fruition. If implemented, it would truly change the entire culture of this city.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

The results from the previous plan was sort of sad: ~40% of the designs. But 40% of great plans is still great progress.

It's also nice to see this moving forward. I wasn't able to make the meeting last week...
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

I like the idea of having a bike plan, but not a fan of complete streets. For some reason American cities are all pushing complete streets as if they have found miracle cure to safety and mode diversity. News Flash! European cities have had complete streets for over 30 years. They are ripping them all out. They deemed them as extremely expensive to build and maintain, confusing for navigation, and did not perform to the safety standards they were trying to reach.

Why repeat the same mistakes when we can learn from bike cities like: Copenhagen, Netherlands, Bogota, etc.
Current bike lanes "gutter lanes" and ineffective since they are extremely dangerous to ride in. I don't care if you paint them neon green with blinking led lights. What's more important is building a strong network of protected bike lanes.

Possible changes: reducing car speed, narrowing lanes, expanding one-way streets, utilizing a ring road for cars.
We don't need a cookie cutter approach to every one of our streets (car lane, car lane, skinny bike lane, sidewalk, etc)

Added some links for some great resources of bike design and articles.

Urban Cycle Institute
https://urbancyclinginstitute.com/

Dutch Cycle Embassy
https://dutchcycling.nl/

Melissa and Chris Bruntlett-
Great articles. On Youtube, they have videos of riding in the bike network and accessing bike parking at transit stations.
http://www.modacitylife.com/
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

It sounds like you’re just not a fan of poorly done complete streets/ineffective politics. As a transportation planner focused on complete streets I too recommend ripping out ineffective bike lanes and prefer separated facilities in many cases.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:39 pm It sounds like you’re just not a fan of poorly done complete streets/ineffective politics. As a transportation planner focused on complete streets I too recommend ripping out ineffective bike lanes and prefer separated facilities in many cases.
In many states we have a 3 foot passing law that gives space so we don't put cyclists in danger. But American bikes lanes are right next to the car lane. Now your 3 foot safety net shrank to inches. If a larger truck with extended side mirrors drives by, you are almost certain to be hit by the vehicle. I can't even count the number of times I have seen cars drift in the bike lane because they are looking down at their phone.

There are good elements in some Complete Streets policies. I just think we can set higher standards. We can build safer streets for a fraction of the cost. And YES! We can still have a great car network that works with a bike/pedestrian focused plan. Put this into perspective....if you don't trust your child or grandma riding in the bike lanes, then the design is not safe enough. If you feel you need to wear a bike helmet, then the design is not safe enough.

You are correct. Not a fan of Complete Streets. Today it's a car lane, bike lane, and sidewalk. Tomorrow the skateboarders, speedwalkers, and dog walkers complain they don't have a lane. So we rewrite the plan for 8 modes and 20 lanes across. Nobody can get anywhere and we are all crashing into each other. It seems to focus more on mode fairness/equality then connectibility and true safety.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Looks like North 16th Street and Dodge Street west of the West Dodge Road split are getting bicycle lanes.

2023 Bike Lane Improvements
Keep Omaha Moving wrote:The planned fall 2023 resurfacing project along North 16th Street from Chicago Street to Nicholas Street has been identified as a good candidate to include striping changes to improve and extend the existing bike lanes along North 16th Street. In addition, as part of the planned resurfacing of (Old) Dodge Street from West Dodge Rd to 83rd Street, a four-lane to three-lane reconfiguration with bike lanes is proposed.