Complete Streets

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Taco
Home Owners Association

Complete Streets

Postby Taco » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I had been following the development of a Complete Streets policy for Omaha (completestreetsomaha.org), but haven't heard anything about the policy or implementation in some time and was wondering if anyone had updates. I remember a few community events regarding N 30th st and S 24th st where opening up our streets for multiple transportation uses was discussed and discussion of a road diet for S 13th st. I also specifically remember community led discussion about Center street between 42nd and Hanscom park being developed with more pedestrian friendly uses.

Does anyone know if there have been any results from these meetings or if any changes are planned? Or of any other locations in Omaha where the complete streets policy is being implemented?

I would love to have a way to follow development of bike lanes, road diets, and complete streets in Omaha but don't know where to look!

nebraska
Home Owners Association

Re: Complete Streets

Postby nebraska » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:42 am

Taco wrote:I would love to have a way to follow development of bike lanes, road diets, and complete streets in Omaha but don't know where to look!

Local Websites

Urban Planning Websites

News

Progress

Suggestions
  • Jeff Speck (as quoted from the Omaha.com article): "Narrowing standard 12-foot traffic lanes in Omaha’s downtown core to 10 feet."
  • Jeff Speck: "Turn as many of the city’s downtown multiple-lane one-way streets as feasible into two-way streets."
  • me: street name signs shouldn't point only in the direction of traffic (street names on one-way streets only face the drivers, pedestrians left in the dark about street names if heading in the other direction
  • me: city campaign reminding drivers how to stop at stop signs and not entering crosswalks at a red-light (seriously people, get the fck out of the crosswalks)
  • complete street: designated bus stops free from parked cars (buses need to stop curbside, not one lane out because of parked cars)
  • complete street: reclaim road space for sidewalks, enforcing minimum widths (at least 42") (ever walk along Dodge Street? 5 lanes for cars 5" for pedestrians...)

Participate

Return to “Transportation”