Eppley passengers numbers

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Eppley passengers numbers

Post by eomaha »

Eppley saw a 9.6% increase in passengers through June versus '04.  If that rate continues, we'll have a total exceeding 4.2 million.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=2388660
Every carrier serving Eppley posted an increase in passengers last month compared with the previous June. Those results might help the airport attract new service or more or larger flights to current destinations, Smithey said.

"They can't ignore the rate of growth," he said. "They cannot ignore the Omaha market."
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Omaha Eppley Airfield numbers through June 2005 compared to 2004:

2005-2,057,695
2004-1,877,495

The stat link from the Eppley website (click on YTD 2005 traffic statistics):

http://www.eppleyairfield.com/sf/default.htm

180,200 more passengers so far this year..Already more than 2 mill!..

If this continues, the 4+ million passenger mark will easily be smashed in '05..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Outstanding news.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Another excellent month ---

July 2005 397,683 passengers, up 8.5% from 2004

Year to date 2,445,378, up 9.4%

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The record trend continues!..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Another good month -

August
370,174 passengers, up 7.6%
year to date
2,825,552 up 9.2%

Slowing a bit but with AA adding a larger plane between ORD-OMA that will help a bit and hopefully some new flights before long.

Last edited by jjjjhskr on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Still on track to blow 4 million away. In fact, we will be 1/4 the way to -5- million.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I must say I am not pulling my weight. Last year, I had 14 trips (so I went through the airport 28 times). This year, I have had 2 trips. Can't say I am sad, though.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

loyalomahan wrote:Still on track to blow 4 million away. In fact, we will be 1/4 the way to -5- million.
Absolutely!..

And thanks for monitoring the Eppley web site and posting that info jjjjhskr :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

joeglow wrote:I must say I am not pulling my weight. Last year, I had 14 trips (so I went through the airport 28 times). This year, I have had 2 trips. Can't say I am sad, though.
Hrm, I've had 5 roundtrips through so far, with at least one more planned for the year... 8) That's about a 50% increase over last year!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've probably had about a dozen roundtrip flights out of Omaha since this time last year. I've probably mentioned this, and last time I traveled, which was two weekends ago, I refrained from mentioning it. But anyway, it seems every time I return to Omaha, I always find myself asking, "where are all the planes?" Seriously! The airport looks like a "ghost-airport". I mean, when I get inside there are definitely people, and I keep hearing about Eppley setting records in their passenger numbers.....but how can this be when there are never any planes at the darn airport?!!!

One possible answer I've considered, is that Omaha is not a hub, and it is not the "end of the line" for many flights. Planes generally land in Omaha, unload and load again quick, and then take right back off.

Although, of the planes I have noticed there, I've been seeing more "medium" sized jets like 757s, which is nice. I hate just seeing all the little commuter/regional gets and 737s.

Anyway, just my 2 cents....
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Bellevue Kid
Home Owners Association

Post by Bellevue Kid »

Slowing a bit but with AA adding a larger plane between ORD-OMA that will help a bit and hopefully some new flights before long.
Yep...and on October 31st they will be adding another MD-80 between here and chicago. So 6 MD-80 roundtrips on American, plus the little regional jets. I think that when America West and US Airways finish their merger, there will be flights added to their East Coast hubs. Delta has added another flight between here and Atlanta. Southwest's Saturday only nonstop flights to Orlando are not on their schedule anymore, it looks like this past Saturday was the last one. Eppley seems to be doing very well this year, is flyOMA still around to add some fuel to the fire? Anyone else have anything they've heard?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I think these smaller jets are an outgrowth of the industry after 9/11. Immediately after 9/11 volume was way down and the airlines moves to smaller jets to improve efficiency with the lower volumes initially.

I think I recall articles stating that the airlines really liked the savings this new practice afforded them. With the continuing struggles in the industry it appears they are continuing with this practice in the secondary markets like Omaha that feed the hubs.

I have made several hops the past couple years between other secondary markets and I am flying smaller jets there too.

Streets, I think your guess on why there seem to be no airlines parked at Eppley is probably dead on. Maybe the fact we don't have a major maintenance facility here as compared to other airports is a factor too.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I would love to see jets constantly on the runway taking off and landing simultaneously. Just another big city activity that would be nice to see in Omaha some day. I'm sure the air quality would definitely decline if that ever happens :(
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I hear you.

Maybe it's also just the stark contrast of taking off from mega-airports like Chicago, Denver, Dallas, etc. and landing in Omaha at the airfield.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Exactly. I always get the "Airport Envy" when I am flying through those places.
Traveler
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Traveler »

I fly out of OMA almost every week and I'm there at all times of the day....I've it seen busier than I ever thought I would...and I flew last night to a small crowd. Over all, I've noticed a busier airport. Recently, there have been 3 planes at a time lined up waiting to take off. So, it's happening....slowly, but surely.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, whenever I'm at Eppley, I can usually count the number of planes docked on one hand, and I usually don't need to use all my fingers.

And I have never, EVER, seen a line of planes to take off. But, I'll take your testimony as a good sign.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I've probably had about a dozen roundtrip flights out of Omaha since this time last year. I've probably mentioned this, and last time I traveled, which was two weekends ago, I refrained from mentioning it. But anyway, it seems every time I return to Omaha, I always find myself asking, "where are all the planes?" Seriously! The airport looks like a "ghost-airport". I mean, when I get inside there are definitely people, and I keep hearing about Eppley setting records in their passenger numbers.....but how can this be when there are never any planes at the darn airport?!!!

One possible answer I've considered, is that Omaha is not a hub, and it is not the "end of the line" for many flights. Planes generally land in Omaha, unload and load again quick, and then take right back off.

Although, of the planes I have noticed there, I've been seeing more "medium" sized jets like 757s, which is nice. I hate just seeing all the little commuter/regional gets and 737s.

Anyway, just my 2 cents....
So far I'm at 7 roundtrips to O! this year with 4 more planned. When I arrrive on the last flight in on AA almost all gates are full and there are usually a couple of planes parked away from the gates. Also, when I take the 1130 am flight out to DFW the traffic seems pretty good. yes, it's all about the non-hub or as noted in the FAA website the "medium-hub" status of OMA. Nice to hear about another MD80 from ORD to OMA and another flight to ATL. I'm surprised the flight to MCO didn't work out.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

On Friday 9/2 I arrived at 11:45 PM from a trip to Denver. Nearly every gate was occupied. A few 737's, Airbus A319's, a couple of regional jets, and two 757's including the one I was in. I assumed several were not to depart until morning but it made the airport look busy.
8)
Before I left Denver I was waiting at the gate for my 757 to arrive when a much larger 777 pulled up to the gate and disgorged 200 or more people. I asked the airline employee if my gate was moved. She said no, and said that "Big Boy" (the 777) would not fit at Eppley. I had to correct her. It is true that the 777 would prefer 11,000 feet of runway but one was diverted to Omaha on 9/11/01. Even Offutt AFB's E-4 (a 747 that's 100 tons heavier that a 777) will practice instrument approaches and touch-and -goes at Eppley.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Actually, (believe it or not), Omaha had SCHEDULED UAL 777 service for exactly 2 weeks in early 1998. This was while UAL was phazing out their DC-10's which originally flew DEN-OMA 2x/day for years. These routes were later replaced by 757s.

We have had 777s in many times since, 9/11 brought in 2 and countless O'Hare diversions in between. We actually had UAL 777, 767-300, and 747-400s parked at the gates at the same time during a nasty Chicago thunderstorm back in 2000. The 747 came in from Tokyo and couldn't get cleared by customs, which resulted in passengers being stranded on the plane for 9+ hours.

Eppley can handle any aircraft in the world currently, with the exception of the Russian AN-225 and gross-weighted, international 747 departures.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

flyOMA,

You probably mentioned this on some earlier post, but do you work at the airport? Do you think we would ever see an A380 land in Omaha? :D
I'm a private pilot that hasn't flown in a while and a certified "plane nut". I watched one of the AN-125s take off from Eppley. It wasn't fully loaded and only used about 5000 ft of runway.
When I was in Denver I had some time in the evening to go out to DIA and watch the arrivals. I found a nice vantage point on the north side of the airport on E 120th Ave. I could view the approaches to four runways. The traffic was a steady parade of 737s, A319s, RJs, et al. At about 8pm I counted nine aircraft funneling in for landing.
I think Eppley has great potential for growth. The only limiting factor I can see is Council Bluffs. Noise limitations I don't think will allow Eppley to operate at full capacity 7X24. Here's to quieter aircraft. :lol:
I believe you on the AN-225 (~600+ tons) and the mgw 747-400 (~400+ tons). In the future , if Omaha would get non-stop international flights to Europe and Asia it would be a 787 or maybe an A350.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

September numbers ----

Post by jjjjhskr »

September 338,654 + 7.8% over 2004
Y-T-D 3,164,206 + 9.0%

Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Great! I'm glad I could do my part in the month of September!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Looking good..At 3,164,206 total passengers through September..It looks like the final 2005 number will fall somehwre between 4.1 and 4.3 million for the year..

4.2 mill looks almost dead on..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
jimyedy15
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jimyedy15 »

November numbers are released today.

333,705 or +7.8% for the month

3,856,255 or +8.6% for the year

Looks like 4.2 million for the year is going to be about right on.
MTO
City Council

Budget up, some remodeling coming…

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Re: Budget up, some remodeling coming…

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

From the article:
Capital spending would total $5.7 million, including $1.8 million in improvements approved Tuesday for the Eppley facilities used by fixed-base operator Elliott Aviation. The improvements will include remodeled entrances, lobby and some offices, maintenance area expansion, parking lot improvements and a new roof.
Maybe fixing up the existing terminal so it doesn't look so bad next a new terminal?
MTO
City Council

Re: Budget up, some remodeling coming…

Post by MTO »

Hmmm very interesting…. Either way I’m happy because that place is UGLY!
Hmmm very interesting…. :idea: Either way I’m happy because that place is UGLY!
15-17, 26, 32
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Does anyone know why Northwest volume was down 22% in November from last year? Possibly the strike? (I probably just answered my own question)
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jjjjhskr wrote:Does anyone know why Northwest volume was down 22% in November from last year? Possibly the strike? (I probably just answered my own question)

Capital spending would total $5.7 million, including $1.8 million in improvements approved Tuesday for the Eppley facilities used by fixed-base operator Elliott Aviation. The improvements will include remodeled entrances, lobby and some offices, maintenance area expansion, parking lot improvements and a new roof.
1) NWA volume was down, but the regional jets were up.

2) I read it as the entrances, lobby, offices, maint, parking and roof are for Elliott, not the passenger terminal. But I could be wrong.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I haven't flown all too often but really our airport isn't much uglier than some of the others I have been in. They usually have more shops and stores but they aren't much prettier. For as much time as you spend in an airport I could care less what it looks like as long as its easy to navigate I am fine and Epply is a great airport to navigate.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

The Vegas airport is beautiful! ...could be the girls, or the drinks talking though :-)

I also like the new Detroit wing, with a nice fountain in the middle.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

OmahaRules wrote:I haven't flown all too often but really our airport isn't much uglier than some of the others I have been in. They usually have more shops and stores but they aren't much prettier. For as much time as you spend in an airport I could care less what it looks like as long as its easy to navigate I am fine and Epply is a great airport to navigate.
Just last week I flew to Jamaica so I got to see a few airports. Atlanta's is pretty nice, but of course it's a huge hub airport. Miami's was awful, and the wing I was in at the Montego Bay airport was awful (Though they do have a new remodeled wing that we departed from that was pretty nice). Astheticly, I'd say Omaha's airport is on par and somewhat nicer than some of the other airports I've been in, but I didn't realize until this trip how small our airport actually is.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I guess I’m picky. Since ours cant be a massive hub then I expect it to look nice. I was shocked at how much larger and nicer the Fresno airport was than ours. It looked like Denver’s kind of.
15-17, 26, 32
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

omahapropertymanager wrote: Just last week I flew to Jamaica so I got to see a few airports. Atlanta's is pretty nice, but of course it's a huge hub airport. Miami's was awful, and the wing I was in at the Montego Bay airport was awful (Though they do have a new remodeled wing that we departed from that was pretty nice). Astheticly, I'd say Omaha's airport is on par and somewhat nicer than some of the other airports I've been in, but I didn't realize until this trip how small our airport actually is.
Gah, I dunno what part you saw, but I thought the Atlanta airport (American Terminal, at least) was the most hideous terminal I've ever seen.

Omaha's is okay, but it definitely needs more 'stuff'.
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Asten wrote:Gah, I dunno what part you saw, but I thought the Atlanta airport (American Terminal, at least) was the most hideous terminal I've ever seen.

I was on the Delta side. I guess it wasn't really the asthetics that impressed me, just the amount of shops and whatnot.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

omahapropertymanager wrote:
Asten wrote:Gah, I dunno what part you saw, but I thought the Atlanta airport (American Terminal, at least) was the most hideous terminal I've ever seen.

I was on the Delta side. I guess it wasn't really the asthetics that impressed me, just the amount of shops and whatnot.
Yeah, the American side didn't even have that. I think there was a BK and a blimpie's stand in the hallway, and maybe a coffee stand...

The fact I was almost two hours late flying through atlanta both directions didn't help matters either.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

No one would call Eppley's terminal beautiful, but it isn't ugly. I just wish they would have more nonstops to the coasts. Now that would be beautiful.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Did everyone make their round trip holiday trips through eppley this weekend to help give our numbers a last boost?